Disinfecting my Slingerland’s

glaze148

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hi
I may be over thinking this ??
My new acquisition came to me by way of Manhattan, and then Long Island yesterday.
2 Virus hotspots.
I have not brought them into my apartment yet.
Was planning on a 3 day hold in place in the garage.
Question
What might a 70% Alcahol wipe down do to the wrap, and hardware
Wondering if it would harm materials ?
I could also use a diluted mix of bleach and water.
Thanks

tkillian

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I think you have no worries.
According to this attached study
24 hours on cardboard
2-3 days on metal

CaptainCrunch

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Where Black is the color, where None is the number
I have seen some delicate beat up glass glitters craze when sprayed with products that flash off/evaporate quickly. No experience with ripples like yours, but considering their condition I’d play it as safe as possible. I know they don’t like rapid temp change, and that’s what flash off is.

Leave em in the garage an extra day if it worries you.

PaulD

Reaction score
I personally would not use bleach. Alcohol, generally, would be more friendly to plastic and metal but test in a small area if you really want to do that.

Or, as already stated, just leave it alone for an extra few days. Presumably, the drums have been sitting in boxes for a few days already. I'd be more worried about the exterior of the boxes and in that case, spray with diluted bleach.

DWSlingerland45

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
You could, if it really bothers you, spray Lysol on a rag or cloth and wipe down the surfaces, shells and rims and even heads. Wear gloves while you do it, and then discard cloth. I've been using Lysol to remove cigarette smoke smell from used kits for a long time. I don't spray the drum directly and I might not try it on an extremely rare finish or calf heads.

glaze148

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have seen some delicate beat up glass glitters craze when sprayed with products that flash off/evaporate quickly. No experience with ripples like yours, but considering their condition I’d play it as safe as possible. I know they don’t like rapid temp change, and that’s what flash off is.

Leave em in the garage an extra day if it worries you.
That’s what I was afraid of as well
Thnx

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Soap and water removes the virus as well. Get out the rubber gloves, Dawn soap, Windex, etc. It there was any virus on them that will get most of it off. You can certainly use the 70% alchohol on the hoops and lugs w/o concern. I was under the assumption that metal can host the virus for 2-3 days. Yet, just yesterday I read an article by one Health Official that said it has been observed to last up to 9 days in some cases on metal. No problem with cleaning them again if they are already clean. Put them aside for a week and you should be fine. You can mix the 70% alcohol with some Dawn soap or even baby oil to prevent it from evaporating quickly. It's the same method I've used for removing old decals off enamel paint.

drumtimejohn

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Nice set. Congrats! For me, I’d let it sit for several days followed by a wash with dawn and water under PPE. Consider treating it the same way you might treat any packages or groceries that arrive at your door/home.

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score

Frank Godiva

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Leave them for a week before unpacking and everything should have died if it was present
Then you don't have to use any products

tkillian

DFO Veteran
Reaction score

Latest posts