DIY Clap Stack

Tornado

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
rdavidr again with a really cool diy project.

May be some use for the garbage always listed on Craigslist after all. I think his stack sounds great.

Ptrick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That sounds good. Curious how expensive that bending tool is.

I did cringe every time he said “Stack clap”

musiqman

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Lol. Hammerax was out with their smaller, cheaper, and just as good (if not better, especially live) sounding stacks looong before Istanbul. Cool DIY though.

Ptrick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Lol. Hammerax was out with their smaller, cheaper, and just as good (if not better, especially live) sounding stacks looong before Istanbul. Cool DIY though.
But they are no longer around...

bpaluzzi

Reaction score
There have been tons of stacks out before. Sabian was marketing the MaxStacks in the early 2000s. They don't sound like claps though.

ARGuy

DFO Master
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone know anything about the ceiling lights at the beginning of the video? Those are cool too.

musiqman

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
There have been tons of stacks out before. Sabian was marketing the MaxStacks in the early 2000s. They don't sound like claps though.
Thats why I mentioned only Hammerax which does sound like claps and sound better (much more volume and meat) in a live situation while at it.

They still can be bought online btw. I saw some promo coming by online.

I never should have had sell mine

JimmySticks

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cool project and I think it sounded as good as the Agop here, although for myself, I can't see a need for one.

No comments on the Vox kit? It pretty regularly gets maligned around here, but I thought it sounded pretty good (not $1800 worth of good though!)

Tornado

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cool project and I think it sounded as good as the Agop here, although for myself, I can't see a need for one.

No comments on the Vox kit? It pretty regularly gets maligned around here, but I thought it sounded pretty good (not $1800 worth of good though!)
He did an unboxing video and review of it. It actually does sound pretty good.

bpaluzzi

Reaction score
Thats why I mentioned only Hammerax which does sound like claps and sound better (much more volume and meat) in a live situation while at it.

They still can be bought online btw. I saw some promo coming by online.

I never should have had sell mine
Which Hammerax sounds like a clap? (And I'm asking honestly, not trying to be sarcastic) -- I've never found any of theirs to sound as convincing as the Clap Stack.

musiqman

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I had the Crash Course. I think it was the 11”.

In real life it was a loud ass clap.

Where the clap stack really fades in a live situation, this one had the opposite (sometimes a bit too loud for acoustic gigs).

bpaluzzi

Reaction score
I had the Crash Course. I think it was the 11”.

In real life it was a loud ass clap.

Where the clap stack really fades in a live situation, this one had the opposite (sometimes a bit too loud for acoustic gigs).
Hrmm... I've checked out a bunch of sound clips, with varying mic setups, and nothing has sounded like a clap the way the clap stack does. It sounds like a nice short white noise stack, but that's not the same as a clap. Listen to the Carter McLean / Japanese House video (
). That's the sound I want.

Agree 100% about it getting lost live though, it really needs a dedicated mic to make it work live.

redbeard

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I googled Hammerax and they have all of their stacks on such on sale. I managed to find youtube videos showcasing most of their items. Emailed Hammerax and this is their response to me asking if their items are still available:

Yes, and everything is on sale. If you would like to order, send the below information to us in e-mail. Once we receive your information, a invoice thru PayPal will be sent to you, when paid your order will be processed then shipped.

Your full name
Your address complete with postal code
Shipping address
List and number of product
Current phone number

Thank you for your inquiry!
Sales@hammerax.com