DIY ... Converting an 'acoustic' kit to a 'triggered' kit ...

fredpasta

Reaction score
Hi ... Seems like I just can't get my stage volume down low enough, so I'm looking at taking an acoustic kit and adding triggers. I've just bought an Alesis DM5 and have a small Gretsch kit to use. Other than adding mesh heads and triggers, I'm looking for advice from those who have done it and have good info on what to watch for. I'm thinking of staying with actual cymbals. I have an older Roland Studio V-Drum kit and the cymbals are my biggest complaint. I'm also thinking of staying with the mylar head on the 18" kick, with a trigger, as it's not causing any volume issues on stage. I do mic it normally, so I might just stay with that instead of bothering with the trigger. Again ... anything that you can help with (ie trigger brands) would be much appreciated.
Thanks! fred

jazzerone

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Couple things...

You might want to think more about replacing the regular drum heads with mesh heads and triggers, unless you're talking about building triggers that drop inside the drum body. Not sure you'd get the response you want if you put mesh heads on and then attach external triggers.

The other thing to consider is what happens when you mix acoustic drums/cymbals with e-drums/cymbals. The presence of sound from each of these is different --- the acoustic drums will right there where you're sitting, whereas the e-drums will be coming out of either the FOH speakers or some monitor you've got set up next to you. Either way, the sound from each will be coming to you from different sources, which can be disorienting.

fredpasta

Reaction score
Yes ... I was thinking internal triggers. I'm not sure externals would work with mesh heads ... likely not.
I 'think' that I could get used to a monitor behind me with drums and live cymbals. I just have a hate on for E-cymbals, even the good Roland ones. I'm thinking possibly one in-ear might work well. It'll take some experimenting I know.
Maybe someone has experience running a hybrid setup?
Thanks for your help!

bpaluzzi

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
External triggers work absolutely fine with mesh heads. I've used them exclusively for a very long time, on a bunch of modules.

Roland, KAT, ddrum, and Yamaha triggers, using Yamaha, Roland, and ATV modules

fredpasta

Reaction score
External triggers work absolutely fine with mesh heads. I've used them exclusively for a very long time, on a bunch of modules.

Roland, KAT, ddrum, and Yamaha triggers, using Yamaha, Roland, and ATV modules
Thanks bpaluzzi ... I'm looking to keep costs down and wondering which of the cheaper triggers work adequately. I think the ddrum triggers are quite inexpensive, but they work ok?

bpaluzzi

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks bpaluzzi ... I'm looking to keep costs down and wondering which of the cheaper triggers work adequately. I think the ddrum triggers are quite inexpensive, but they work ok?
Depends which ones you mean. The ddrum "Redshots" are their cheap ones. They're...fine. But they're a pretty noticeable step below the Roland, Yamaha, or ddrum Pro triggers. Those are the three I'd recommend, if possible. Of those three, the ddrum are still generally the cheaper, but they're much closer in price to the Yamaha / Roland.

fredpasta

Reaction score
Depends which ones you mean. The ddrum "Redshots" are their cheap ones. They're...fine. But they're a pretty noticeable step below the Roland, Yamaha, or ddrum Pro triggers. Those are the three I'd recommend, if possible. Of those three, the ddrum are still generally the cheaper, but they're much closer in price to the Yamaha / Roland.
Thanks again bpaluzzi ... I'll step up to the better ones for sure. I know that I won't be happy with the low rung stuff and eventually have to dump them and go with the better ones anyway. Like the old saying goes ... "I can't afford to buy cheap".

bpaluzzi

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks again bpaluzzi ... I'll step up to the better ones for sure. I know that I won't be happy with the low rung stuff and eventually have to dump them and go with the better ones anyway. Like the old saying goes ... "I can't afford to buy cheap".
"Buy once, cry once" :)

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi ... Seems like I just can't get my stage volume down low enough, so I'm looking at taking an acoustic kit and adding triggers. I've just bought an Alesis DM5 and have a small Gretsch kit to use. Other than adding mesh heads and triggers, I'm looking for advice from those who have done it and have good info on what to watch for. I'm thinking of staying with actual cymbals. I have an older Roland Studio V-Drum kit and the cymbals are my biggest complaint. I'm also thinking of staying with the mylar head on the 18" kick, with a trigger, as it's not causing any volume issues on stage. I do mic it normally, so I might just stay with that instead of bothering with the trigger. Again ... anything that you can help with (ie trigger brands) would be much appreciated.
Thanks! fred
I remember going into one of the local GC's and someone had taken an acoustic kit and clipped those big DDrum triggers to each drum and ran the whole thing through a Roland E-drum processor.
In that case, they put mesh heads on the kit and made it into an E-drum.
Worked pretty good.
Don't see why the Roland processor couldn't be used, along with keyboard combo amp (unless you plan on plugging into the PA), but the idea has merit.
...not sure if DDrum still makes those big clips.

EDIT: looks like they still do! --> https://www.ddrum.com/category?series=Triggers

Elvis

bpaluzzi

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I remember going into one of the local GC's and someone had taken an acoustic kit and clipped those big DDrum triggers to each drum and ran the whole thing through a Roland E-drum processor.
In that case, they put mesh heads on the kit and made it into an E-drum.
Worked pretty good.
Don't see why the Roland processor couldn't be used, along with keyboard combo amp (unless you plan on plugging into the PA), but the idea has merit.
...not sure if DDrum still makes those big clips.

EDIT: looks like they still do! --> https://www.ddrum.com/category?series=Triggers

Elvis
Yup, those are the ddrum "Pro" triggers mentioned earlier. They work great for this. My main electric kit is a set of acoustics with similar triggers from Roland on it and drum-tec 3-ply mesh heads, seen in the video below

http://instagr.am/p/B6XvcTChrYh/
First few clips are showing the output from the ATV drum module, last clip is the acoustic sound in the room