diy question...do smaller pads trigger better

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
I have a 14" prism head and a 2x14 cut off shell piece...I put a diy trigger I had on it and it works but not quite as loud as the other rubber pads. I still need to mess with the sensitivity etc (this is a yamaha DTX500 module) but wondering if a small diameter pad would work better. Thinking of doing 10" and 12" shells.

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
messed with my diy floor tom a little and it's working pretty good except the Prism head either is stretching or just not holding tension, it's not the greatest design I put together but was quick and easy, I think I'll order a 10 and 12" mesh heads. Also picture of my new snare and cymbal on the left. Almost feels like the real thing now.
IMG_20200702_170313.jpg

IMG_20200702_170328.jpg
IMG_20200702_170353.jpg

drumgadget

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Chris - kudos to you for digging into the arcane world of trigger pad design. It's been years since I messed with this, but the laws of physics have remained, thankfully, unchanged.

Your basic Q - "do smaller pads trigger better?" .......... I would answer emphatically "yes"! That is, in terms of consistency of basic triggering; the more nuanced stuff like dynamic and spatial tracking and the obvious need for physical accuracy in hitting the smaller pad ...... that's where the trade-offs happen.

Back in the '80s, I made a whole bunch of trigger pads for my hybrid E-kit; I had Roland DDR pads for my basic kit, but all my "cymbals" were no more than 5" across, really simple piezo plates stuck to plexi discs and protected by neoprene on top and supported by dense foam below. They worked really well, and helped me a lot with my striking accuracy with the stick.

I salute your DIY trigger mount; really nice approach, well off-center to avoid "sweet spot-itis" ...... but you've probably found that the rest of the head is pretty dead in terms of sensitivity. I think the sophisticated mesh head pads (Roland, etc) use some sort of conical structure under the head to "gather" the energy of the strike over a larger area .... and then equalize the actual triggering voltage .... a sort of spatial integration ....... so as to make the head respond more like a real drum. I started to get into this but kinda realized that my real love was genuine acoustic drums, not so much the electronic variety (despite my engineering background).

Keep on experimenting! Maybe I'll get back into it ........

Mike

Latest posts