DIY Snare Kits (Drum Supply House)

malonedrum

Reaction score
Hey Everybody,

A few months ago, I picked up this "DIY Snare Kit" from Drum Supply House in Nashville. Being at the end of 2020, I wanted to take one last shot to support a local shop, and this store has been through a ton in 2020 from a tornado, robbery, lockdown, and then again on Christmas even more sad news in Nashville. I'm glad I was able to make this purchase when I did. I enjoy DIY projects, so this appealed to me on that level, even though it's just assembling a drum. I'd totally recommend it to anybody else, as it's a fun way to take some ownership in a drum. I did a video of the unboxing, assembly, and some sound demos. Check it out if you like!

DIY Black Beauty Snare // A Fraction of the Price!!!

dtk

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
enjoyed the video... "1 to Ikea"...I may need to steal that line...

malonedrum

Reaction score
I had to put together a few dresser units, so it was fresh on my mind. Feel free to steal!

bassanddrum84

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Great video. I enjoy your channel a lot. I’ve done a few builds like this from dfd parts. White lithium grease is amazing for tension rods. I use it on all my drums every 6 months. Just a little dab and they’re butter smooth!!!

should add a custom wood badge!

one more edit I love your diy stuff!!!

Last edited:

malonedrum

Reaction score
Thanks so much for checking it out, I really love making the content and especially the DIY stuff.

A wood badge would be fun. I was thinking of calling my local trophy shop to whiz up some sort of small metal badge I could attach on there. It just feels incomplete without the badge in my opinion.

andrewro

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I came very close to ordering one of these a couple of weeks ago. I ended up getting a B-stock DW black nickel over brass instead.

I will probably order their aluminum shell kit sometime this year. Good to see yours in action!

malonedrum

Reaction score
Glad my video could help! I’d love to try they’re hammered brass shell, I feel like it’s a love it or hate it visual look but I’ve played some hammered shells that are so tamed and defined.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well put together video Malonedrum.
Snare sounds great, too.
Gives me much more faith in those kits and buying from DSH, too.
Thanks for posting that.

Elvis

malonedrum

Reaction score
Awesome! I hope you do order from them, I’ve also ordered some accessories and stuff from them over the years and it moves a lot faster than the custom drum stuff. Andy is great, and as I said in the video. Between everything that happened in Nashville in 2020, I was really pressing to get this order in there.

Old Dog

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I also almost, ordered a few months back after seeing the "sounds like a drum" video on YT.

I wanted different lugs and they wanted $50 0r $60 more. So for now, I passed. Pretty sure I could put together similar for a bit less.

Good looking stuff though. Fast responses from their customer service. :headbang:

malonedrum

Reaction score
Yeah, lugs and add ons compound very quickly, so that makes sense. I love that he was able to knock off some price for me since I supplied my own heads, snare wires, and hoops. It was stuff I had on hand, and honestly, I would hate to pay for brand new heads and maybe not be the specific brand or kind that I like.

shuffle

DFO Star
Reaction score
I was itching to get a DIY a few months ago,have had several in the past.
But,just bought a BoB 6.5 for 225$ in great shape!
Very well done,Mike!
I had a DIY from the 80s-90s Stu/Mac catalog, Drum Supply House bought StuMacs parts yrs ago. Great drum!
And,one from Precision.
Another killer snare!
Congrats

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Awesome! I hope you do order from them, I’ve also ordered some accessories and stuff from them over the years and it moves a lot faster than the custom drum stuff. Andy is great, and as I said in the video. Between everything that happened in Nashville in 2020, I was really pressing to get this order in there.
I did order a throw-off from Andy about 15-20 years ago.
I received what I ordered in a more than "timely" fashion.
At the time, I was impressed with the service I received.
However, a few years ago, I noticed a number of threads at a couple of different drum forums saying that DSH just wasn't getting it done anymore.
Stories of orders not being filled, Andy being impossible to get ahold of and refunds never being issued, just poured out in these threads.
Sounds like he's got things back up and running as they should now.
That's good to know.
Thanks for creating this thread.

Elvis

Last edited:

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score

RogersLudwig

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice. I'm still waiting for a sheet of Gretsch burgundy sparkle from Andy I ordered in Sept. 2020. Six to eight week waiting time has turned out to be a bit longer, but I assume it is on Delmar's end; not enough orders to make a run of the material. He is staying in touch though

egw

Reaction score
...and this store has been through a ton in 2020 from a tornado, robbery, lockdown, and then again on Christmas even more sad news in Nashville.
My car ran out of gas. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. A terrible flood. Locusts! It wasn't my fault, I swear to god!!