DO ANY OF YOU GRUNT WHEN YOU PLAY?

studrum

DFO Master
Reaction score
Only when it's time for the guitar solo.
Just kidding.
Yes, I moan and groan along, but I am singing/following the melody line or the bass line.

cribbon

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Elvin was the king of grunters. He said one time when he was playing with his pianist brother Hank, Hank looked over at him and said, "Shut the hell up!" :lol:

Elvin129.jpg

noreastbob

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I don't think I make vocal noises but may be wrong as this thread reminds me of something that happened at college in '70/'71. I was in a dorm room with three or four hot... I mean HOT girls and was listening to "All Right Now" by Free (a tune I've always loved for its use of silence and space and the overall mix) on headphones while they gibberjabbed. I noticed them all staring funny at me at one point and pulled the phones to inquire...
They told me I was grunting. I think it was sort of a vocal representation of the drum/bass interaction.
So bottom line is when I'm fully involved and transported I probably do.

Browny

Reaction score
yeah, I do if I'm really getting into something and I'm not careful, the weird, low pitched humming/grunts start to surface.

Mouse

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Mouse! Great to see you back around this joint.
Yes, I'm glad to be back, this time for good. My book project takes alot of my time, plus taking care of older family members. I'll let you all in on my project when ready! Mouse

KarnaKarma

Reaction score
I used to moan, hum, and grunt all the time.

my voice is very bassy and when i started using IEM's when I hum or do other sounds, I cannot here anything else besides my own voice not even the drums lol. I'm not an engineer but I reckon my bassy voice is transferred through the cable, and straight to the ears.

since then i stopped being my own instrument.

Tony G

Reaction score
The first time I recorded, many years ago, found out I was humming.

It was driving the engineer crazy. “Hold on guys, I have noise. He isolated all of the tracks and I was humming the melody while I played.

DavedrumsTX

Reaction score
Just wondering if any of you make guttural noises when you play as I apparently do.

A few years back a bandmate started recording rehearsals. One day he hands me some headphones: “You might want to listen to your background vocals on this track.” I’m grunting and moaning as I play a particularly brisk part. Bonhamish moans.

The last time I was in a studio with a different band, the engineer was sliding bars and at one point isolated me. I winced expecting to hear grunts, but there were none. Perhaps with the position of the mics it wasn’t as detectable, or maybe since the tune was more laid back I just wasn’t grunting. I’m pretty sure I do it when the BPMs are over 110.

I’ve never had anyone notice it in person when I’m playing/rehearsing, and I’ve had bandmates stand very close to me on stages, but then again it’s pretty loud in the engine room.

Anybody make sounds?
Yes, I do. I am more aware of it than I used to be. Louie Bellson and Buddy Rich used to do it. You can hear it in some recordings. Louie used to joke they would tape his mouth.
Seriously, working on relaxing can help

Michael M.

Reaction score
Just wondering if any of you make guttural noises when you play as I apparently do.

A few years back a bandmate started recording rehearsals. One day he hands me some headphones: “You might want to listen to your background vocals on this track.” I’m grunting and moaning as I play a particularly brisk part. Bonhamish moans.

The last time I was in a studio with a different band, the engineer was sliding bars and at one point isolated me. I winced expecting to hear grunts, but there were none. Perhaps with the position of the mics it wasn’t as detectable, or maybe since the tune was more laid back I just wasn’t grunting. I’m pretty sure I do it when the BPMs are over 110.

I’ve never had anyone notice it in person when I’m playing/rehearsing, and I’ve had bandmates stand very close to me on stages, but then again it’s pretty loud in the engine room.

Anybody make sounds?
Is your drum throne porcelain ? Haha Sometimes I click my teeth to count heavily syncopated passages. I 'm not aware of any audible sounds. I suppose if there were any someone would have told me, or made fun of me by now.