DO ANY OF YOU GRUNT WHEN YOU PLAY?

m_anderson

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love to watch the facial expressions on drummers when they are playing. Mine must look somewhat painful. I had a band at the house once for a party, and my Aunt Ginny, who is a bit of a dingbat, said to my mother "Lydia, is something wrong with Mark?"

Last edited:

Slingwig26

Reaction score
Just wondering if any of you make guttural noises when you play as I apparently do.

A few years back a bandmate started recording rehearsals. One day he hands me some headphones: “You might want to listen to your background vocals on this track.” I’m grunting and moaning as I play a particularly brisk part. Bonhamish moans.

The last time I was in a studio with a different band, the engineer was sliding bars and at one point isolated me. I winced expecting to hear grunts, but there were none. Perhaps with the position of the mics it wasn’t as detectable, or maybe since the tune was more laid back I just wasn’t grunting. I’m pretty sure I do it when the BPMs are over 110.

I’ve never had anyone notice it in person when I’m playing/rehearsing, and I’ve had bandmates stand very close to me on stages, but then again it’s pretty loud in the engine room.

Anybody make sounds?
I do not.

David M Scott

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, it's fairly frustrating for me - not the sounds but the fact that I tend to, for god knows what reason, keep my lungs full-ish and sort of hold my breath there when I'm playing.
I figured this out because sometimes i would hear myself squeaking, like someone's letting a little air out of a full balloon, and I'm like 'wtf am I doing that for??' and that's when I realized I'm holding in a deep-ish breath.
What sucks is I'll force myself to breath and then I'm not as rhythmically steady, so it seems like I've got to back up a bit and retrain myself and figure out why/where this habit came from so I can stop acting like I'm swimming underwater when I'm playing drums. Lol.
I constantly bite my tongue while playing. I was somewhat aware I did but not to what extent until two people in two separate audiences commented on it.
I try very hard not to do it since but I do have lapses.
Darn

DaveLemonds

Reaction score
Definitely! I get made fun of in about every session I do for grunting. Pretty funny actually. I had an engineer once isolate me and played it back in the control room of just the overheads. We all had a pretty good laugh over it.

Pat A Flafla

Reaction score
Not that I know of. When I'm gigging, I know I make a lot of frowns because I know I'm hacking along even though the positive crowd reaction tells me otherwise.

When I'm playing jazz, which is usually by myself at my house, I sing the bass lines in my head.....and sometimes out loud.....
I do the frown thing when the phones come out. Just watch the show, people. Dance or something. Why watch the show through a tiny screen when you have the real thing right in front of you?!

GiveMeYourSmallestSticks!

Reaction score
No grunting, but I've gotten into the habit of humming a melody along to the parts I'm playing (whether it's related to the actual melody of the song or not). I've also been known to stick my tongue out ever so slightly while concentrating. The combination makes me positively irresistible to those in the audience close enough to notice, probably why I started doing it in the first place!

Hypercaffium

Reaction score
I do the frown thing when the phones come out. Just watch the show, people. Dance or something. Why watch the show through a tiny screen when you have the real thing right in front of you?!
Because of the social networks. You must show off, you must prove to everybody you are cool to get attention. That's pretty sad.