Do any of you play harmonica?

Tigerdrummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I learned my late brother who was a rock drummer was also learning to play harmonica. Have any of you tried this? Is it difficult? Seems carrying a few harmonicas to a gig would beat schlepping a lot of drums and hardware around. Just was curious what you know about this.

dtk

DFO Master
Reaction score
In my latest band...the lead singer/rhythm guitarist also plays harmonica. He cut up a swimming pool noodle to hold his different harps...has his own amp and pedal for it as well. I love the sound....but have never really tried.

tommykat1

DFO Master
Reaction score
I played harmonica years ago in my first band. We did the Alka Seltzer theme, "No Matter What Shape," and also tried the similar "I Should Have Known Better" by the Beatles. it was extremely difficult trying to get my mouth independent of my limbs, so we dumped the attempt.

Tigerdrummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
In my latest band...the lead singer/rhythm guitarist also plays harmonica. He cut up a swimming pool noodle to hold his different harps...has his own amp and pedal for it as well. I love the sound....but have never really tried.
Do you have a picture of this pool noodle thing? I'm having trouble visualizing it

Rock Salad

Reaction score
Green bullet the way to go. I don't play harp but my old band mate did and would bring students. Heard all kinds of mics.
He used to play it like a drum. Like he had maybe three jukes but he knew all permutations of them and is the most in demand harp player in town.

Stickclick

Reaction score
I bought a harmonica. It is hard for me to play. I don't sound like harmonicas on recordings. Not even close.

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
My dad plays a little, (Also guitar and sings, and used to play clarinet) I bought one after seeing the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band's drummer played he had the "Bob Dylan/Neil Young" mic holder...I thought it would be cool but I never took the time to learn.

Marc M

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have been messing around with the Harp for a long time,although at best I play at an intermediate level.
As far as ease of learning goes, if we are talking 10 diatonic harmonica,which is the one used the majority of the time in rock,blues,country and pop, if you learn a couple of the most important techniques and get a basic idea of how the instrument works you can be playing music very quicky,and you can get that mournful /vocal/ bluesey sound within month or two,if you know the correct techniques to work on. There is a decent amount of good free beginner info on you tube and a lot of bad. I have read Harmonica for Dummies and an Idiots Guide to Harmonica and I think both are very good.The other nice thing is although diatinic harmonicas come 12 different keys,you only need one to learn with,and you can buy a good quality harp that will make learning easier for 35.00 - 40.00 bucks so its pretty inexpensive to get started, with a good axe.I also think that you have a good leg up if you already play another instrument,pitched or non pitched.

chollyred

Reaction score
I play around with it, but not very good. I need to watch some videos or get a book or something that really teaches technique. I agree with Marc, get a decent one to learn on. The cheap $5 Blues Band might get you interested, but will also frustrate the heck out of you when the reeds hang up and block certain notes / holes.

Stickclick

Reaction score
Yeah but when I hit it with my drum sticks it just goes tap tap tap, nuthin to write home about.

Wheresmyroadie?

Twisted Loner
Reaction score
I used to play. Then, at one point I realized how many bad harp players there are and decided to reduce the number by one...