Do cymbal stands have an effect on how a cymbal sounds?

noreastbob

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The physicist in me has a hard time believing what's under the felt on a non boom arm stand makes a difference in sound. A boom arm can vibrate and so dampen a cymbal minutely less, but if it's mounted on a straight vertical stand it's not like the stand can expand and contract in sympathy with the cymbal. The only thing I can think of that would affect a cymbal on a regular stand would be the angle and the tightness of the top wingnut/felt. The fact that I'm short on empirical evidence prevents any factual assertions though. Out of as many as 11 cymbals that I can use if desired all but one are on boom arms.

dboomer

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m wondering if what anyone is hearing is rooted in how the stand couples to the floor and to the floor itself. Are you hearing it on a concrete slab, a raised wooden floor or a drum riser?

Second thought ... the cymbal is coupling to the stand where it rests on some kind of flange. I’m guessing the softer this is the less coupling in the first place. Take a look at symphonic stands. I just went and checked mine. I’m using rubber ones that do not use a metal washer. So the less efficient your mount is then the less going into the stand in the first place

Last edited:

Markkuliini

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I did a short a/b with Yamaha 700 and Tama Classic stand and filmed it. It's not a huge difference, but to my ears the thinner Tama Classic let's the crash bloom with a fuller frequency range and the ride sounds fuller too, especially the bell. The Yamaha is not a heavy stand either but quite stiff compared to the Tama which flexes a bit from side to side. Maybe it's that what's makes the sound fuller.
Difference between Tama abs some heavy duty double braced would probably be even bigger.