Do I want these Vistas?

JayT

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
http://toronto.en.cr...1251404512.html

I'm not in the position financially to be considering this set... But the money is in the bank and I'm tempted...

I've never been a huge Vista fan. I wanted the re-issue Bonham set from back in the day, but I've never cared all that much for the drums like some others. I would say I like them more than most, but I'm not a Vistalite fanboy.

The way I think about Vistas is this, they have one sound. They have zero dimension and go from 0-100 flat stop.

But it's those exact attributes that make me like the sound SO MUCH! And though my Standard are treating my quite well, and I love the sound beyond any kit I've ever owned, I think that the Vista is the kit that will help me get the sound I'm looking for in my main band.

What do you guys think? Do I want these Vistas?

JayT

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Also, I know it's a silly question

"Do I really want these drums, friends on the internet tell me"

But what I'm really asking, is if any of you guys can tell me a bit about your Vistas, the settings in which they work best, and what you do and don't like about them.

Vipercussionist

Drummer Extra Ordinary
Reaction score
I ended up with a set, and the sound can't be beat. I've never tried a 22 though. See if he'll take LESS obviously.

What I LIKE about them:
LOVE the look. I got clear Vistas
LOVE the tone, nice WIDE OPEN sound. I got 'em a bit on the tight tuning side.
I LOVE being able to play them in HOT weather, there's no wrap to worry about.

What I DON'T like about 'em
I got a 24, I WANT a 26 (or even a 28 if there IS such a thing)

The Fossil

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
home of Buffalo Bill's Original Wild West Show
I LOVE my restored Tequila Sunrise Vistas. The only bad thing about them is:

EVERYBODY THAT SEES THEM WANTS TO PLAY THEM !!

I'm going to hang a small sign on them that says; "If you have the nerve to ask, the answer's NO"

Archt

DFO Master
Reaction score
It took me a while to find the right heads for mine. Aquarian Super 2's work really well, they sound great. I really like mine, we practice in a 3 car garage that can get a little damp, the roof has a couple of leaks.....no worries. That sunrise kit is sharp Fossil!

Ludwig Von Buzztoven

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
JayT said:
The way I think about Vistas is this, they have one sound. They have zero dimension and go from 0-100 flat stop.
It is a mistake to think that. I have 2 Vistas at the moment, and I've had many over the years. Like any other drums, head choice and tuning makes a world of difference.

I will agree that vintage Vistas can sound a bit "thuddy". The modern ones, however, are much more versatile. You can *almost* make them sound like wood. They are also better built.

Buzz

Vipercussionist

Drummer Extra Ordinary
Reaction score
Archt said:
It took me a while to find the right heads for mine. Aquarian Super 2's work really well, they sound great. I really like mine, we practice in a 3 car garage that can get a little damp, the roof has a couple of leaks.....no worries. That sunrise kit is sharp Fossil!
I have a clear set of Vistas, they're SO clear in fact, it was rather hard to get "clear" heads that didn't look hazy. I settled on Attack heads. But even the kick batter was a bit hazy, but it'll do for now. At least the reso was crystal clear.

Oh, and Fossil, I simply MUST ask to play your kit!! 8)

The Fossil

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
home of Buffalo Bill's Original Wild West Show
Vipercussionist said:
Archt said:
I have a clear set of Vistas, they're SO clear in fact, it was rather hard to get "clear" heads that didn't look hazy. I settled on Attack heads. But even the kick batter was a bit hazy, but it'll do for now. At least the reso was crystal clear.

Oh, and Fossil, I simply MUST ask to play your kit!! 8)

Read my post in the General Forum: "Former drummer has SOME NERVE".
Thanks for asking, anyway. LOL

R

RickP

If they were Blue JayT I would have sbeen all over these , I have never been a fan of the clear vistalites.
There was a local music store that I took lessons at that I would walk past on my way home from High School
( a LONNNNG time ago) and they had a Blue Vistalite kit that just made me drool.I would stop in everyday after
school and just stare at it and I was walways hinting to my parents I wanted it, but to no avail.

Vipercussionist

Drummer Extra Ordinary
Reaction score
RickP said:
If they were Blue JayT I would have been all over these , I have never been a fan of the clear vistalites.
There was a local music store that I took lessons at that I would walk past on my way home from High School
( a LONNNNG time ago) and they had a Blue Vistalite kit that just made me drool.I would stop in everyday after
school and just stare at it and I was always hinting to my parents I wanted it, but to no avail.
I think Blue and Clear were the two biggest selling colors, if you want a blue kit, I KNOW it would be really easy to put one together, either from singles or as a complete kit.

Stixnergard2

DFO Master
Reaction score
The set is probally not worth $750.00 with the floor tom being cracked although you could buy a replacement from Golden times. Vistalites do have a unique focused sound and are wonderful when played outdoors. I use clear g2's over clear G1's on my kit

FloydZKing

fire bad!
Reaction score
I don't think of acrylic drums that way at all JayT. Maybe if there's something wrong with them they might be that way, but healthy ones have great dynamic range. Yes, they do go to 100 easily, but there's no good reason for them to have a hair trigger. I played a Vista big beat in a swing/bossa group for a couple years and we did mostly acoustic shows, often in very quiet settings. With clear ambassadors on the toms they made excellent, subtle quiet drums too.

And not to dampen any Ludwig enthusiasm, but bear in mind that a decent percentage of Vistas weren't all that well made. I've never had a full set of them without at least one dog shell. It wasn't a great era for QC among the US makers and frankly, Vistas aren't as consistent as other acrylic drums were. Any acrylic drum is going to be prone to damage, so it's more important than usual to inspect them carefully before purchasing.

I wouldn't put much dough into a clear set, or one with a cracked shell. Prices are low now and if you shop around you can find some tinted ones in better shape.

JayT

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice guys. Just the kind of thing I was hoping to talk about.

I've personally never played a set of Vistas that I could really play quietly. But perhaps that's because in my mind I think of them as really loud drums, so I play them that way.

I'll see if there is a better price for the kit, and if not, I'll pass. I would love a set of clear Vista's in this size, but there's always another day.

anthonyfossaluzza

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
vistalites will sound however you want them to. so many people assume you have to put pinstripes on them, but they sound like great if you tune them right..........and they look awesome! i love my reds

Stixnergard2

DFO Master
Reaction score
anthonyfossaluzza said:
vistalites will sound however you want them to. so many people assume you have to put pinstripes on them, but they sound like great if you tune them right..........and they look awesome! i love my reds
I confess, I haven't experimented with heads on my Vistalites. I wanted to set them up for rock and used a set of G2 clears I had around the house. One of these days I will try a set of single ply heads.

DrumminLefty

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've had several Vista sets. Some were made so badly they never did sound right. My last clear set was very nice and sounded great. The set could be tuned "dead" or lively. They are capable of more useable tone than most people think. One thing for sure,hit them as hard as you want,they dont choke. The harder you hit the more they put out. I liked them.