Do long tension rods bend easily?

DrumPhil

Reaction score
Whenever I see drums with a single center lug and long tension rods that go to both heads, I expect them to easily get bent during handling. George Way drums, for example, look beautiful, but I am concerned about how often t-rods would get bent and need to be replaced.

From people who have owned sets like that and gig with them, what has your experience been? Are long t-rods more susceptible to damage?

underratedcowbell

Reaction score
I played a few times in a rehearsal space with a Ludwig Club Date RI. There were very few of the bass drum t-rods that weren't bended. Mind you it was a rehearsal space!

Last edited:

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whenever I see drums with a single center lug and long tension rods that go to both heads, I expect them to easily get bent during handling. George Way drums, for example, look beautiful, but I am concerned about how often t-rods would get bent and need to be replaced.

From people who have owned sets like that and gig with them, what has your experience been? Are long t-rods more susceptible to damage?
If you are thinking of buying I'd purchase spares- 2 or 3 rods - for each drum at the same time same length from the manufacturer

kdgrissom

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I can only relate my experience from owning a few field drums with long rods. Yes, they will get bumped and knocked around. If I owned a Club-date type drum set, I would probably buy padded hard cases to transport them in.
I've found it quite easy to lightly tap them straight again with a hammer and a hard flat surface.

DrumPhil

Reaction score
It sounds like a beautiful George Way set with long t-rods should be thought of primarily for playing at home and not so much for gigging.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
then pipe yourself out to people and try and get $50.
silicone-based not carbon-based anymore ; )

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have some Slingerland Stage Band drums. If they get bent, you can simply tap them back straight with a hammer.

drumphils

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
In a dozen years of moving Stage Band sets, I may have bent one bass rod. This would be stacking a 4pc, no cases, on a Roc N Roll cart, with hardware bag, cymbal bag, hi-hat and throne. Do I think about it? Yeah, before and during transport. And the no case issue? I’d much rather replace a rod than look at tears and creases to the interior of my car from cases.

Phil