Do other people gear choices and usage bother you?

singleflammedmill

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
On every forum or group, there are always people that seem really bother by other people gear choices and usage.

For me, every dollar spent in the drum industry is a dollar well spent and each person can spend their money any way they want.

I don’t mind if a hobbyist who can’t play a straight beat to save his life buys a 27 pieces Sonor SQ2 to put in his beach house, even if that kit is played once a year.
I don’t even mind if you buy a drum just to look at it.
Also, I don’t mind if a pro who choose to play a Pearl Export with the matching snare.

But some people do, and I want to know why.

The stereotype is often an old jazz drummer way past his prime who whine about boutique drums not being played on gigs and who try (usually with no success at all) to discourage people of collecting drums.

Music Room

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
The perspective someone carries about this is at least partially about his personality and outlook on life. Some people are pragmatic to a fault and don’t understand paying out the ear for something worth way more than it’s perceived return on the investment. So if that high end Sonor set only gets played twice a year, it seems like a waste of money. And I would probably agree, in that extreme example. But I’m not totally pragmatic, and own more drums than I can play every day because I enjoy the variety, and yes sometimes the collectibility. It’s up to each of us how we use our resources, and some are wiser than others. There have been times when I’ve needed to sell gear to get money back in the bank. These days I’m trying to balance.

NobleCooleyNut

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with you Charles . Anything to help promote the a music industry and especially the drum business is a-ok with me . I am just happy to see people sharing my passion for the instrument . I am always curious as to what brought people to make the decision on their drum purchases . I have not been the most loyal drum customer in the past , I like too many drums !! My tastes change as do my particular needs for gear . A good example are 100% maple ply shell drum sets. There has been a period of about 5 or 6 years where I did not own a 100% maple ply kit. All my kits were maple abs some other wood mixes , or some other wood completely .
I forgot how great an all Maple ply kit can sound . I bought an N&C CD Maple kit just last Spring and it was like the heavens parted . My appreciation for all maple kits was reborn .
Enough about me , back to the topic at hand . I love discussing drums , looking at drums ( and cymbals of course). We all have our personal likes and dislikes . Instead of downplaying someone’s choice , ask them what is cool about their choice . What made them interested in that brand etc. No reason to be mean spirited . We don’t all have to like the same gear .

Sprice

Reaction score
It's basic a basic psychological response called rankism. It's an instant ego boost if you can feel you're better than someone. Then if you get people agreeing with you and piling on it's even better. Most instances are frowned upon now (race, sex, religion, etc.), but others are still considered acceptable (generation, political affiliation, tastes, choice of drumset configuration, etc.).

Old PIT Guy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I can speak only to excessively large collections owned by people who rarely play the bulk of it, or who never come to play it very well. And it's important to distinguish between being bothered by it and being dumbstruck by it.

I'm not bothered by what anyone spends money on at all. Life is short, spend it however you want to. That counter argument, or justification, to me is a big red herring. Because what we're talking about is a retail obsession that's gone off the rails when people have homes stuffed full of drums or storage units and so on. I'm just astounded at just how much some people buy and how forums normalize what I see as a perversity to the point of celebrating it.

It's plainly evident that for some people constantly searching and shopping for gear they covet and buying an inordinate amount of it has replaced the enthusiasm, effort, and ultimately the reward of seeing yourself improve and expressing your musical ideas. And that is after all the point of owning what they're buying. Realistically, there's no way someone who spends the time and energy comparing prices and reviews and selling and flipping and reading and posting about gear has the energy leftover to sit down with the concentration necessary to use the object they covet as it was intended. I understand how it happens, and I'm sympathetic, but I don't understand how someone does it for decades without a clue.

drumstuff66

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Personally, having too much gear laying around I'm not using tends to stress me out a little. I can think of only one thing I ever bought knowing I probably wouldn't be using it (an 8" EAK Splash in great condition- and only because I'd never seen one & the seller had it priced like a newer used K). I definitely don't buy gear to look at it or to make it part of some collection.

Having said that, I don't care one bit what other players choose for gear or how much they spend or how much they buy. My only issue, if you could even call it that because it's not my problem, is if people are ignoring or neglecting other financial responsibilities in order to buy gear.

"Sorry honey, we just can't afford new tires for your car right now..." just as your new Sonor SQ2 kit shows up...but again, not my business.

drummer5359

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
" Anything to help promote the a music industry and especially the drum business is a-ok with me"

THIS! ^

I too appreciate that others share my enthusiasm for drumming and drums, and I really enjoy having this group to share my love of all things drums with.

As to people having a particular attachment to different brands than I do, GOOD!

It would be pretty boring if we all had the same opinions.

I'm always excited to see what my fellow drum geeks have bought.

This is a somewhat specific passion that we share. Supporting each other's love of things percussive should be a common goal. (In most cases it is.)

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
We all judge. Some of us judge quietly while others are more free to share our feelings. I don't disagree with anything that's been said, but I'm much more impressed by somebody making great sounds with a well-worn set of drums than a drummer who's playing a new boutique set he paid 5 times more for.

I'm much more put off by drummers who wear hats indoors. You're putting a lid on a simmering pot just for the sake of vanity.

I also have strong views on people who wear Under Armour or who drive Kias/Hyundais.

Last edited:

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have my likes and dislikes where drum gear and spatulas are concerned.
But ...
What the heck do I care what others play?!
Seriously?
My drums are my drums.
Why would I care a hoot about some guys choice of bass drum?
I usually hit the Ignore button when someone goes off the deep end like that.
I don’t have the hours in a day to have to read that garbage.
Just bizarre behavior.

edit:
Singleflammedmill ... man, I LOVE that drum room.

CC Cirillo

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I’m more likely to be bothered by the type of music people play than what they play it on.

Fortunately, joining this forum has opened my eyes, and more importantly, my ears, to getting to know players across all genres. The level of intelligence, insight, and artistry across the board is equally inspiring and comforting.

musiqman

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Personally, having too much gear laying around I'm not using tends to stress me out a little. I can think of only one thing I ever bought knowing I probably wouldn't be using it (an 8" EAK Splash in great condition- and only because I'd never seen one & the seller had it priced like a newer used K). I definitely don't buy gear to look at it or to make it part of some collection.

Having said that, I don't care one bit what other players choose for gear or how much they spend or how much they buy. My only issue, if you could even call it that because it's not my problem, is if people are ignoring or neglecting other financial responsibilities in order to buy gear.

"Sorry honey, we just can't afford new tires for your car right now..." just as your new Sonor SQ2 kit shows up...but again, not my business.
Is that a brilliant splash?

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Paging JDA ......
I do share some concern for others when I feel. sense, see them struggling with what in essence is driving themselves over a cliff...

I do sometimes try to intervene and hold that car....my feet dragging in the gravel...against that powerful gas gulching engine as it drives...drives...drives...inches forward over that cliff.

Last resort I say " oh drat"......and let him or her fly airborne off into the distance...."
"he's a goner"

Old PIT Guy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It's an instant ego boost if you can feel you're better than someone.
That's true to an extent, but if being better than someone is based on what or how much you own, how does someone persist that? By filling a hole with stuff. And since acquiring stuff is ephemeral the hole perpetually requires more fill.

Would there be so many guys with enough drum gear to outfit a music school if there weren't internet platforms celebrating it? Platforms supported by ads for more stuff and with posts by other guys filling holes too?

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Paging JDA ......
The other is the circle Driver.

Stuck in Drive steering wheel locked full left turn squealing and squealing in an empty parking lot tires are smoking... with each turn another snare loads into the trunk. I sometimes make a mad dash across the parking lot and jump behind the wheel to try and cut the ignition switch but alas I sometimes can't get that close and the gas eventually runs out and it sputters it's final lap.

I then sometimes will go over open the drivers door- the interior is loaded with stands cymbals drumheads sticks- some with still the tags on- sometimes 50 and 100 of the same make model and color- and the driver just drops out on to the ground totally unconscious. "..

Last edited:

ARGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
No.
Anything much more than a single word answer is an attempt to try to justify your own views and explain how correct they are, while attempting to point out to those with the opposing views the error of their ways. In the end, neither side changes their views and threads get locked.

Houndog

DFO Master
Reaction score
You crack me up Joe !!!

Somewhere there is a picture of a guy with; I dunno , 50 Rogers Chrome snares .

Reactions: JDA

Old PIT Guy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
No.
Anything much more than a single word answer is an attempt to try to justify your own views and explain how correct they are, while attempting to point out to those with the opposing views the error of their ways. In the end, neither side changes their views and threads get locked.
I'm not trying to be argumentative, but isn't that what you just did?