Do PS Blaster Wires really make that much of a difference

kenshireen1

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I play a supra with stock luddy wires... 1960.
I have Blaster wires on some of my other snares and they sound great.
Would it improve the response or sonics on the supra.

Thank you

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
If you already have some Blasters you should try them on the Supra but I'm inclined to think Lud wires will work the best on Lud drums.

mgdrummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Personally I prefer the Puresound Custom wires on metal snares. They seem to pick up/translate more finesse from your playing than the Blasters. The Blasters are fine for heavier backbeat playing and I’ve used them in the past for that application.

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
Different wires do make a difference in the sound and response. The Puresound Blasters are just one option out of a hundred or more available. Sure, try them, but don't imagine they are the only upgrade option, or that they are in any way "the best".

scaramanga

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have heard Canopus Vintage wires on Supras and the result to my ears was spectacular. May be worth a try?
Seconded. I tried this and couldn't believe my ears. I thought I had a bum Supra until I did this and now its one of my favorite drums.

Last edited:

jptrickster

DFO Master
Reaction score
In an amplified live whole band situation I don't think anyone could tell the difference on any wires. It would probably come down to feel /stick response

YT shootouts

lvn the sound of these tubs

Last edited:

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Almost any wire set works great with the Supra, or Acrolite, due to the wide and shallow beds. Makes it easy to experiment! Regardless of what Ludwig would have you believe, their snare wires, for a long time now, are just import wires from Taiwan. These can be purchased for as little as $5 online. The only difference is that these MIT wires don't have the "Ludwig" logo on the end pieces.

As others have mentioned, Canopus wires are excellent and were modeled after Slingerland's "snappy" wires. The PS Blasters have bent end plates, which help to draw the wires into the snare bed when tensioned. Very similar to some of the wires that Tama uses. However, this style really isn't necessary for Ludwig metal-shell snare drums.

-Mark

Buffalo_drummer

Reaction score
I have heard Canopus Vintage wires on Supras and the result to my ears was spectacular. May be worth a try?
I heard these on a BB and they sounded amazing. I've been contemplating getting them to try. They are pricey though.

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
Seconded. I tried this and couldn't believe my ears. I thought I had a bum Supra until I did this and now its one of my favorite drums.
third! If the stock wires sound good then I would leave them but if you're going for something different I prefer the Canopus to the Puresounds. I haven't tried the blasters though only their regular wires which are good and do sound good I have a set of 30's on my 402, Canopus on my 5" black beauty and on my 6.5" Hammered Bronze.

charlesm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
On brighter drums, the Blasters have sometimes sounded a bit harsh. I've really come around to just sticking with the basic Puresounds or good-quality generic Snappy-type sets on everything. 20-strand. It seems like a fail-safe...always works for a great balance of snare and shell sound.

ThomFloor

Reaction score
I think Blasters vs. normal wires are more noticeable when playing alone, say snare rudiments and such. I had them on a Supra and they were very noticeable. But I agree in band context wire types are totally lost in the mix. The number of wires is a way bigger factor.

dangermoney

Reaction score
I have PS Blasters on my 70 supra and they sound fine to my ears. I agree with the suggestion to try them for yourself because after all it comes down to what you like and what inspires you to play ...

Latest posts