Do vintage drums have lead paint?

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
It's evaporated by now.
I'm thinking of the lacquer 70s early80s G finishes (all faded...

Last edited:

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
It's evaporated by now.
I'm thinking of the lacquer 70s early80s G finishes (all faded...
I think this is meant tongue and cheek because it is not accurate.

Reactions: JDA

drumtimejohn

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The humor does bring me a smile but because it’s a safety issue let me confirm, do vintage drums have lead paint? I sure wouldn’t want to sand, drill, recut edges, etc. without proper protection.
Cleaning any dust with a shopvac is also a big no no. I can just use a hardware lead test kit to confirm as well.

Last edited:

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
was thinking of the paint change from something-based to water based down at Gretsch

ThomFloor

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Actually most vintage drums are either clear (wood finish) or wrapped right? Its the glue in these materials that you are kicking up the dust when sanding. I can't think of much paints...maybe inside shells or duco finishes? Some people also say its the old wood and nasty glues that give them their mojo.

Last edited:

CaptainCrunch

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Where Black is the color, where None is the number
Gretsch, Fender Custom Shop, and Gibson still use Nitrocellulose lacquer - it’s nasty stuff, and will cause liver damage. Which is of course why it fell out of widespread use.

I’ve read multiple sources saying the flat grey Rogers interior paint was lead-based.

Also, I’ve read repeatedly that the glue Ludwig used was nasty stuff, and they struggled to find a suitable replacement in the 70’s.

Fullerton 9/72

Reaction score
"I’ve read multiple sources saying the flat grey Rogers interior paint was lead-based."

So then automotive trunk paint of the period was lead-based too?

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
"I’ve read multiple sources saying the flat grey Rogers interior paint was lead-based."

Very possible. Lead was widely used in paint so the only way to know for sure is to have it tested.

CaptainCrunch

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Where Black is the color, where None is the number

I’m not sure. Lead was used in house paint because it helped it go on smooth, gave better coverage with less coats, and made it more durable.

Auto paint used to be nitrocellulose-lacquer-based, which is nasty stuff in it’s own right. If the “trunk paint” they used was actual paint for car trunks (and no reason to believe it wasn’t) it would be more likely an industrial enamel. That’s what the modern stuff smells like, anyway.

House paint isn’t made for extreme temperature cycles, and a drum manufacturer wouldn't use something specially formulated when off-the-shelf would work.

el_37

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I think you are overthinking this. If you have ever done any kind of home improvement work in a pre 1978 house you have already exposed yourself to way more lead dust than drilling 2000 holes in 1960's drum shells would ever expose you to.

If you were alive before the leaded gasoline ban, you have also inhaled way more lead then drilling a few shells will ever begin to expose you to.

Drill outside, wear a real respirator if you are concerned and you will be fine. If you still have concerns- maybe its best to farm out the work.

Ron_M

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've tested various 60s era Slingerlands w/duco finishes, and none of them tested positive for lead. I used the 3M LeadTest Kits (recognized to be effective by the EPA).