Do You Get Gassy When You Don’t Get to Play?

CC Cirillo

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I’ve noticed that when I get to play with other musicians I don’t think so much about gear. I don’t think too hard about buying drums or cymbals. I just play what I have. (Or think about selling what I don’t use.) When I’m playing out, I’m more focused on learning the songs, getting the feel right, interacting with my bandmates. Gear comes into play with getting sticks, or trying some new heads or wires, or deciding what snare or cymbal combo that I already have might best fit a rehearsal or gig.

Does that happen to any of you?

With this shelter in place for the last two months, I’ve been thinking more about gear. I look to what I might need when I start playing again, and then that “might need” becomes “must have”.

Exhibit A: Newly acquired Custom Dark hats. Nothing exotic or rare. I suppose my tastes are simple. Didn’t “need” them, but they do seem to fill a sonic vacancy unoccupied by the other sets of hats I have. Will probably fry in the pan with my Custom Dark ride and Crash, all in a mess of grease. The bacon of cymbals. Of course, I’m panting to actually use them making music someday.
6C8CCBBD-B8EB-483A-9DD5-6FBAEDB8242E.jpeg

Exhibit B: A new snare sitting in that bag on the floor but I’ll comment on that some other time.

AgDrumma07

DFO Master
Reaction score
I’ve had a sudden interest in acquiring new gear during the shutdown, mostly to build though. I’ve had more time to cruise eBay for shells I need and ask questions about the builds.

drummer5359

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Gassy? Well I'm currently eating a burrito...

I don't get as gear crazy when I'm busy with gigs. I picked up a couple of toys in the early stages of the shut down. I'm out of fun money until I can start working again. That has taken care of my gas.

Well, except for that from this burrito.

:D

pwc1141

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Having spent years getting the cymbal array I like, 2 snare drums that I love and now a bop kit that sings, I am far more interested in just playing when things ease up and need nothing new nor want anything new ..... unless another great ride cymbal comes along that I just can't resist......

Ptrick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yes. When I have steady gigs, I buy less. When nothing’s brewing, I start analyzing that my right side crash needs to be about 200 g thinner and a slightly lower pitch. Then I buy 3 and sell 2.

old_K_ride

DFO Master
Reaction score
I played a dozen or so gigs with a guitarist who cut farts continually on stage...he just laughed it off when someone in the band would "raise a stink" about it.
He wasn't a very good guitarist either which made it more irksome.

Latest posts