Do you gig your vintage drums??

Do you gig your vintage drums?

• Total voters

6topher

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It's all i have. I posted my Luddies earlier in this thread, but here are shots of me gigging my other 2 kits recently.

1965 Silver Sparkle Slingys - 20/12/14 - with my baritone surf band The Tritons
tritons_silverslings.jpg

1965 Red Sparkle Slings -20/13/16 with my Garage Rock band The Things
Things_redslings.jpg

ian-40

Reaction score
I do B)

early 70's Olympic. 20/14/12 Grey silk pearl. lovely condition, c/w early Fullerton Rogers Super Ten. :notworthy:

3 weeks ago at my 50th birthday party

Attachments

drummerbill

DFO Master
Reaction score
75% of the time I gig my contemporary Tempus fiberglass drums because of the light weight.
But a few time a year I pull out my 61' Camcos or my 59' Slingerland Krupa kit for gigs that they will have the proper mojo for. I think the vintage kits are inspiring and affect my playing in a very positive way. The blues just sound better on the Camcos, and swinging jazz on the Slingerland kits put a smile on my face every time !
I have some other vintage kits I also would like to put in rotation but sometimes the thought of drunks stumbling over them gives food for thought.

Vipercussionist

Drummer Extra Ordinary
Reaction score
I have plenty of times before but currently I have been either playing my element se's in mod orange or gold sparkle classic maples(which I am trying to sell to fund something else Ludwig). It really depends on the gig. I have been toying with using my 1971 mo orange clubdate set over the weekend. I have two gigs back to back in a ski area with little room. Has anyone with a clubdate set had any problems with the floor tom legs killing the resonance of the drum? I have never tried ISO feet but was wonder what it is like for everyone else? If I pick the drum up it totally sings but when it is on the legs it totally sounds choked. The room this weekend is all carpet so that might help....
The Gibraltar ISO feet IMO are better than the pearl ones, and YES they are a cure.
My Club Date 14 was DEAD, DEAD, DEAD until I added 'em.

Vipercussionist

Drummer Extra Ordinary
Reaction score
Oh, and YES of course I gig my VINTAGE stuff, I don't have ANYTHING new, excepting the 2012 Ludwig 6.5 Acrolite!!

1960's Ludwig

1960's Rogers, and you can JUST see the 2012 Acro!!!!

More 1960's Ludwigs, 28in KICK!!!!
MassiveLudwigKick.jpg

1920's Ludwigs, Leedy rack tom. 26k, 17f, 14r, 14in snare, all Mahogany shells, w/Maple hoops.
20sLudwigs.JPG

kookel

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I play what I own and gig with all of it. I have a few sets for different jobs. I want the best sound for each gig and since I dig vintage, I almost always use them. Playing on a set that sounds great to me definitely inspires me to play better...and a certain way.

FunkyCrime

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm surprised to hear some clubby floor toms can be dead sounding... I have a '63 champagne sparkle club date and the floor Tom is amazingly resonant.

JDZ

Asst. Manager, rhythm section
Reaction score
Sat night's fill in gig with a 20-12-14 Rogers blue onyx.

&feature=relmfu

Last edited by a moderator:

sillyilly

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
my 1970 yamaha kit is my funk drumset with hot buttered soul. 13, 16, 22, with ludwig auditorium snare. really, really nice drums.
sometimes i'll use a '68 supra 5x14 too.

like someone else said, drums are meant to be played. some nice kits by the way, particularly vipercussionist's wood hoop kit :occasion5:

BillA

Reaction score
I have several kits but I play my 60's Gretsch jazz kit almost all the time.
I do have some Club Dates that I use sometimes if I have 2 gigs. I also play
in a regional wind symphony and use my 72 clear Fibes snare because of how bright it is.

I have recently acquired a set of Slingerland Rolling Bombers that have all (mostly original)
calf heads and I am afraid to play them or even take them out.

Trust me, NOTHING I own sounds as good as the Gretsch.

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Yes! I gig vintage. Now, I only have one modern kit, which is still awesome. The others are all vintage Ludwig and Gretsch and meant to be played!

gwbasley

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't leave my vintage "self" at home when I gig, so my '65 Ludwigs make for good company!

blkcortex79

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's cool to see this thread is still alive and you guys are posting great pics of your vintage kits at gigs!! I am still gigging my '66 Club dates, the only time I may bring a beater is if we book some outdoor gigs near the beach.... :cool: I don't want any salt water spraying on my Luddies!!

ludwignut

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Oh, and YES of course I gig my VINTAGE stuff, I don't have ANYTHING new, excepting the 2012 Ludwig 6.5 Acrolite!!

1960's Ludwig

1960's Rogers, and you can JUST see the 2012 Acro!!!!

More 1960's Ludwigs, 28in KICK!!!!
View attachment 131206

1920's Ludwigs, Leedy rack tom. 26k, 17f, 14r, 14in snare, all Mahogany shells, w/Maple hoops.
View attachment 131211

Sorry to get off topic here ,but is that new Acrolite the new special grey colored one that they are making now?

Rob