Do you have a set practice routine?

XVIII Airborne

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Do you have a set routine of things you work on, like timekeeping, reading, shuffles etc? What does everyone work on, I’m looking to get the most out of my practice time and be more focused.

nolibos

Reaction score
It depends on the style of music you are working on, and the amount of time you have.
You can't go wrong doing singles and doubles, on a snare drum, as quietly and as fast as you can.
I play jazz, so I spend a lot of time on up tempo ride cymbal stuff.

Squirrel Man

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I work on what I'm currently working on for a while, take a break and jam out a bit to feel good then go back to working on what I was working on.

Last edited:

jsp210

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you have a set routine of things you work on, like timekeeping, reading, shuffles etc? What does everyone work on, I’m looking to get the most out of my practice time and be more focused.
I don't have a set routine per se but have a routine time window in my daily schedule where I try to get down into the drum room for about an hour and always try to do some work for my weaker hand (playing grooves open handed) and building power and control for traditional grip. To get the most out of your practice time pick the things you feel are the weakest links and make sure you devote at least half of the time working on that stuff. Try to push the boundaries and don't just return to what is familiar and comfortable. If focus is a problem maybe set a timer where you stay with one concept for at least 15 minutes before moving on to something else. Improvement will come no doubt with repetition.

owr

Reaction score
I sure do, first thing I do when I head to the practice room/home office is I load up Reverb and check out new listings in my feed. Once done, I head over to eBay and fire off a few common searches, sorted by new listings. Then re-sort by ending soonest with a wider search to see if there is anything that may have slipped through the cracks that I can scalp last minute. Next, I head to my local craigslist and check out new listings. Last, I go back to reverb and check out all the saved listings I have queued up to make sure no one else has bought them yet and drool over them a bit.

Shortly after that my wife and/or daughter starts yelling for me and I realize my practice time is up...

kdgrissom

Reaction score
My routine changes periodically depending on what lies ahead of me. My Summer Covid routine alternates between 26 rudiments, a page of stick control, a page of the Forrest Clark book, Wilcoxon and Mitchell Peters etudes (then the Mallet routine) one day, then the pile of Drum set books the next day.

AgentGreen

Reaction score
my kick drum foot needs a lot of work with the metronome so there's that, subdivision on the snare 4/8/8 triplets/16/16 triplets/32 notes with the metronome and snare & kick at the same time so it doesn't sound like a flam. so the basics

Houndog

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
my kick drum foot needs a lot of work with the metronome so there's that, subdivision on the snare 4/8/8 triplets/16/16 triplets/32 notes with the metronome and snare & kick at the same time so it doesn't sound like a flam. so the basics
Holy crap are you me lately ??

My foot is terrible .

AgentGreen

Reaction score

My foot is terrible .
I'm the image in your mirror. B) I haven't been able to find any good exercises for my foot, other than just do 4s and 8s at slow to medium tempo trying to relax while doing that, any exercises/patterns you're working on? For subdivision I found this to be very helpful and after a bit of practice I'm seeing improvements. Ultimately, I'd like to be able to do a fill and end up on 1 and make it sound even, but also continue in the same tempo after, I tend to speed up after a fill.

drummerfriend

Reaction score
I do.. It is a method I have found that works best for me. All using a click. With efficiency, this takes me less than 1 hour to complete.

- 1 or 2 Wilcoxon Solos
- Swing / triplet based independence - almost always these days it's using Ari Hoenig's System Book
- New Breed 1 / New Breed 2 (often times a concept from both)
- Garibaldi's - Future Sounds - Having already worked through the book, I now integrate some sort of concept that is not in the book within the book itself.
- Time just for free improvisation.

I also keep some sort of practice pad up which I occasionally work from either Master Studies 1, Master Studies 2, Stick Control or Accents and Rebounds.

Houndog

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm the image in your mirror. B) I haven't been able to find any good exercises for my foot, other than just do 4s and 8s at slow to medium tempo trying to relax while doing that, any exercises/patterns you're working on? For subdivision I found this to be very helpful and after a bit of practice I'm seeing improvements. Ultimately, I'd like to be able to do a fill and end up on 1 and make it sound even, but also continue in the same tempo after, I tend to speed up after a fill.
That's a great video , I'm not using a video or book . I just dial up the metronome and do stuff like that .
as far as my foot goes I try to play the last 2 triplets with my foot for awhile .

Then I practice 3 beats I have difficulty with one after the other , those 3 being Swingtown ,Mule ,Walk This Way . Been struggling with for years ,
I've spent countless hours on this in the last 4 years . Lots of cursing . I can cuss extremely well now !!

Tornado

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do.. It is a method I have found that works best for me. All using a click. With efficiency, this takes me less than 1 hour to complete.

- 1 or 2 Wilcoxon Solos
- Swing / triplet based independence - almost always these days it's using Ari Hoenig's System Book
- New Breed 1 / New Breed 2 (often times a concept from both)
- Garibaldi's - Future Sounds - Having already worked through the book, I now integrate some sort of concept that is not in the book within the book itself.
- Time just for free improvisation.

I also keep some sort of practice pad up which I occasionally work from either Master Studies 1, Master Studies 2, Stick Control or Accents and Rebounds.
This is exactly what I would do if I had time. I just have to work this stuff on different days. No way could I do all of that in one hour. Guess I need more practice. :)

JimmySticks

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wish I had a routine.

I should sit down and immediately work with my Syncopation For The Modern Drummer book to get better at sight reading, and yeah, syncopation. I tend to do to much play-along with YouTube drum less tracks, it’s more fun!

AgentGreen

Reaction score
That's a great video , I'm not using a video or book . I just dial up the metronome and do stuff like that .
as far as my foot goes I try to play the last 2 triplets with my foot for awhile .

Then I practice 3 beats I have difficulty with one after the other , those 3 being Swingtown ,Mule ,Walk This Way . Been struggling with for years ,
I've spent countless hours on this in the last 4 years . Lots of cursing . I can cuss extremely well now !!
do you play heel up or down? I've always played heel down, but now I try to mix it up only because I felt these limitations/inadequacies when it can to being in time. so I'm trying both but mainly heel down mostly. Have you tried other techniques? If you're struggling with the same beats for years then I think you need to review your technique or just slow it down and do those patterns at a much slower tempo. Then again, I'm no teacher and can only speak for what works for me. Doing anything at a slow tempo, say anything below 80 BPM is really tiring as it requires so much more focus but anything new I start at 60, and if I can't get it at that tempo I usually give up, but that's probably lack of patience on side.

owr

Reaction score
For those of you looking to improve your bass drum technique, I only recently got turned onto Gary Chaffee's book "Time Functioning Patterns" and the Fat Back exercise. Tons on google about it, though it's worth just getting the book IMO.

My foot is terrible .

Houndog

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
do you play heel up or down? I've always played heel down, but now I try to mix it up only because I felt these limitations/inadequacies when it can to being in time. so I'm trying both but mainly heel down mostly. Have you tried other techniques? If you're struggling with the same beats for years then I think you need to review your technique or just slow it down and do those patterns at a much slower tempo. Then again, I'm no teacher and can only speak for what works for me. Doing anything at a slow tempo, say anything below 80 BPM is really tiring as it requires so much more focus but anything new I start at 60, and if I can't get it at that tempo I usually give up, but that's probably lack of patience on side.
Yes , I’ve been to 2 teachers . The last got down there and saw what I was doing .
I have changed my technique quite a bit .
And I’ve spent hours slowed way down .
It’s really been very hard to take sometimes, not being able to do what I want with my foot .I’ve spent at least 4 hours alone on my foot in the last week .

Old PIT Guy

Reaction score
I don't have much interest in books anymore. Books are great, but it's not where my head is it at 60. Other than if there's a particular thing I'm trying to incorporate, and since I'm by myself, I'm playing with forms in my head as a framework to vocalize and play along with. It's basically humming a melody and either playing time to it, or subdividing and orchestrating to or on top of it. I do some playing to music minus drums, but not enough. I'm mostly into working what I can pull out of my head and applying it creatively. I like unusual phrasing that ultimately enhances simple things.

Sometimes the creativity is there, sometimes it's not. If not, I won't waste time with it and I'll work technique with something rote and try to internalize it to get my focus back. If that doesn't work I get up and go do something else. Sitting there doodling is just not happening, and that tends to be where bad habits are formed and injuries can happen if you go to speed for thrills.

Basically, I create a headspace for myself and try to make drum music in it.

multijd

DFO Veteran
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
1) Warm-up ie. All of the rudiments slow-fast-slow, a page or two of “wrist twisters“ or “accents and rebounds”, some of my own warm-ups. Any combination for about 15-20 min.
2) Rudimental snare solos from Wilcoxon’s “The AllAmerican Drummer”, “Modern Rudimental Swing Solos“ and Pratt’s “Rudimental Solos for Accomplished Drummers”.
3) A Delecluse snare solo from “Douze Etudes” or other advanced solo.
4) Drumset work including time exercises (Time table/rhythm scale), rudimental applications, improvisation (time playing/tunes/soloing).
5) Special topic ie. Music for a gig, brushes in 3/4, 7/8 vamp soloing etc.

JimmySticks

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
1) Warm-up ie. All of the rudiments slow-fast-slow, a page or two of “wrist twisters“ or “accents and rebounds”, some of my own warm-ups. Any combination for about 15-20 min.
2) Rudimental snare solos from Wilcoxon’s “The AllAmerican Drummer”, “Modern Rudimental Swing Solos“ and Pratt’s “Rudimental Solos for Accomplished Drummers”.
3) A Delecluse snare solo from “Douze Etudes” or other advanced solo.
4) Drumset work including time exercises (Time table/rhythm scale), rudimental applications, improvisation (time playing/tunes/soloing).
5) Special topic ie. Music for a gig, brushes in 3/4, 7/8 vamp soloing etc.
Woh!

Great discipline, I’m jealous!