Do you have a set practice routine?

Deafmoon

Reaction score
After a 15 to 20 minute warm up, the routine should be: What do you suck at? Is your Left Hand weak? Do you need to learn to read? Do you play heel down on the bass drum and want to learn to lift the heel and play on the ball? Do you integrate the hi hat foot into your grooves? Can you not get between the snare and toms with fluidity? What do you suck at? That's the question and that's what you put your time into.

mydadisjr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
only about 30-45 minutes a day, 10-15 min each of the following three groups.

1. My own rudiment workout (based on a 4/4 measure of 16th notes phrased many different ways with doubles, paras, flams, buzzes, triplets, all done with alternating RH lead, then LH lead)

2. Drum set workout (currently working on the Purdie/Bonham shuffle, then playing 4/4 beats with metronome on the upbeat eighth note (why didn't I do this exercise 30 years ago?), and then jazz soloing usually over a 6/8 "MY FAVORITE THINGS" theme, also with metronome)

3. Play along with latin/bossa/caribbean songs on Spotify

I need to add some book reading.. Maybe Wilcoxon's swing rudiments?

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I’m in my office, it’s pad work with singles and doubles. For kit work, my ekit in the garage does the trick. I’m probably practicing bad stuff...
Working my left hand and feet for the most part. Also I try to lead everything lefty.

JimmySticks

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
After a 15 to 20 minute warm up, the routine should be: What do you suck at? Is your Left Hand weak? Do you need to learn to read? Do you play heel down on the bass drum and want to learn to lift the heel and play on the ball? Do you integrate the hi hat foot into your grooves? Can you not get between the snare and toms with fluidity? What do you suck at? That's the question and that's what you put your time into.
Cmon man, it’s gotta be harder than that! That’s way to simple to be any good!

I like it, the possibilities are endless! :icon_lol:

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
As a serious jazz drummer, I always sit down, tap the drums, and realize they are out of tune. I tune them all up, then realize it's the cymbal(s). I swap out a ride, then I start playing, then wonder if the prior ride was better. Then realize maybe it's the snare so I swap that out. Then I play a bit and realize maybe I need to go to my other kit set up upstairs. However, I am lazy and don't want to. I keep playing and end up playing the same thing over and over due to my limited skills. I then decide to hum a bass line to add a "live" component, but my inner bassist sucks, too. I get focused back on the drums and realize the HH's are not sitting right, and fix those. Usually, the bass pedal beater is also a little too high or low, and I have to adjust that. I finally end up playing and realize I should have stuck to rock!

It's a vicious circle, but always an intense jam session! And imagine I do this nearly every day to relax.......

sixplymaple

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I try to stick to this strict schedule every afternoon/night. Keeping the tight schedule is key for me because I’m too impulsive. Otherwise I end up getting stoned & lazy with no motivation for the rest of the night lol. I shoot for at least 3hrs of sticks in hand per day. Boy do I miss the days when I could literally sit at the kit for 6-8hrs without getting bored or tired! :(

1. Coffee!
2. Screw around & warm up with thicker/heavier sticks - 30-45mins
3. Double bass rudiment practice and fast singles until my legs are exhausted - 15mins
4. Switch to my jazz setup and work through jazz books - 45-90mins
5. Relax and take a break/eat dinner
6. Watch/listen to podcast with headphones on while practicing every rudiment for 3mins a piece on snare drum - 90-120mins

I use a metronome probably 40% of the time. My timing is pretty spot on, so I generally don’t feel like it unless I’m reading/working on new stuff or playing left hand lead.

PS I don’t have wife or kids.

drumdawg

Reaction score
These days I do. In the early days not so much but I wish I did. I have been recording myself along with drumless tracks to see how I'm doing. Right now I have two tracks I want to record so I practice both songs every day along to the drumless track until I can play all the way through with no mistakes. After that I work on what I'm weakest at. I'm trying to improve foot speed for both feet so I try playing 16ths to the metronome at the fastest speed I'm comfortable at for as long as I can. Then I work on snare rolls, which have never been my strength. Then whatever fill I'm interested in at the time. I'm working on the famous fill from ZZ Top's La Grange - not quite there yet.
I've heard to be effective you should have specific goals for practice and try to work on your weaknesses.

m_anderson

Reaction score
I don't have much interest in books anymore. Books are great, but it's not where my head is it at 60.
Totally agree, and we are the same age. Although, I do carry around a copy of "Stick Control" and at work on a break I will find a quiet space and use a chair seat cushion. I have no routine. I just sit down and start playing, and whatever happens happens.

slew

Reaction score
No strict routine. Lately it's been a lot of pillow work, strength building. Variations of paradiddles, accenting, focus on my left hand to get it on par.

I try to bounce legs and and tap feet whenever I can.

Latest posts