Do you keep soft cases you don't need now?

prplx

Reaction score
Just curious. I tend to buy stuff new most of the time. And when I sell kits, I'll often throw in softcase figuring I don't need them anymore if the new kit is in different size.

For example right now I have some like newsoft cases Ahead cases for a 10" tom, a 16" tom and a 20" kick, but I don't have drums that size. I also have another like new soft case for an 8 inch toms. Now I am about sure I'll never have an 8 inch tom again and should sell it, but the others, I am thinking do I sell them half price and have to buy full price again if ever I get another drum that size? I mean it seems plausible I'll get another 10 or 16 tom in this life... If the coronavirus doesn't get me first.

What do you guys do? Do you have some unsable cases left somewhere for the day you get a drum that size?

Edited to specify I am talking about softcase/bags.

Last edited:

Tommy D

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have a set or Roadrunner Touring bags all russian dolled together: 10/12/12/14/14/14(the last 2 are snare bags)/16/22/24. They only take up the space of a single 24" bag. Currently all my drums are setup, but I know there will come a time, likely in the next 6 months, that I take a kit down and store it. That's why I have, and keep, the cases.

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Drum cases are never unsalable, unless they're literally destroyed. Even the ones that are currently empty will have a use one day. Soft cases in decent shape should have no problem fetching $15-$20 each depending on brand/condition/size. They are always needed since so many drum kits are purchased without cases. And over time, the cases tend to get abused and broken. Up until a year ago I didn't even own drum cases. Now I have 3 sets of them that came with other drum sets I purchased. The extra cases allow me to store 3 of my nicest sets when I'm not using them for months at a time.

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I buy drums where the guy has shipped it with a old soft case with dryrotting foam rubber interior. Those go right to the curb. I just don't find them as useful as bags, though I do use the occasional non-dryrotted ones if a drum is shipped with one.

Dan

Tommy D

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I will admit that when I put my drums in the bags for "long term storage" I put the drums in their original plastic bags first, then throw in a couple silica gel bags in there, then put them in the bag. After seeing what those Gator cases did to so many peoples drum hardware, I don't want any bit of moisture or anything that may have some off-gassing or potential chemical reaction coming in contact with my drums. If it is just for travel, no need to do the plastic bag since the drums are in cases for such a short time.

Call me crazy. Call me paranoid. I know I am, but risk/reward on the plastic bag is always in my favor.

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've sold off all of my hardshell cases, of which I once had many. I'm down to just one set of hardshell cases (13/16/24 + 8x14 snare) which I use to store the only kit that's not at my house. Everything else is in soft bags.

I don't need the heft and weight of hardshells for all 8-9 of my kits; bags work perfectly fine, and I gig about 2-3 times a month (well, before the coronavirus situation).

And if I ever do need a set of hardshells, like if I'm freight forwarding them out on tour as cargo, I still own one set of cases that I can use, as the sizes of my cases are large enough to fit any of my shells.

hsosdrum

Reaction score
When I sell a drum I always include the case or bag that I bought for it, so I've never had any spares to deal with.

dogmanaut

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I wouldn’t mind acquiring some more bags, so if anyone wants to shed a few...

CAMDRUMS

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I’m looking for an inexpensive 22” bass drum bag if anyone has one to sell.

mebeatee

Reaction score
Yes I keep all my soft cases....Ya never know
Exactly....they are good for a multitude of things that need a case for local transport.
A couple of examples....to carry a meinl tri tone ibo drum, or a small Roland cube amp, with cords, et al.
I gave a couple to my partner to use for her mbira's and resonant gourds.
bt

bconrad

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
....to carry a meinl tri tone ibo drum, or a small Roland cube amp, with cords, et al.
I gave a couple to my partner to use for her mbira's and resonant gourds.
bt
I've been a drummer most of my life, and I have no idea what this means.

Johnny K

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I've got a bunch of bags that I haven't used in a while. Maybe I should sell them? Hmmmm.
Maybe. I know I could use at least (2) 14x18 bass drum cases, (2) 14" FT cases, (2) 12" RT cases and (1) 22" BD case. I'm not in any real hurry to buy, but whatcha ya got?

Latest posts