Do you like your beater hard or soft?

supershifter2

DFO Star
Reaction score
got my first kit in 1970. came with a felt beater. I felt I needed a beater that wouldnt flaten like the felt beater did. Bought a ProMark round wood beeter in 1970 and have used wood ever since. I have played pop,rock,hard rock,jazz. lots of blues,boogies,metal with my wood. beaters that is. i was born with very flat feet and the right foot colapsed about 10 years ago. not 10 years after Alvin. I wear a modified right Al Bundy shoo. If my right foot tweeks just the slightest the outside of my right ankle is in agony pain like you wouldnt believe. BUTT and thats a BIG BUT I never had an issue playing heavy wood beaters. I kick hard but I dont berry the beaters. I play the pedal heal up and feather it like a gas pedal in a car. I have used Pearl single chain drive pedals since they came out around 1990 or maybe before. If you are having pain try making the spring looser and if you berry the beater stop it. there is no reason anyone should have pain if I dont. I should be in immense pain when I play but I'm not. that also means I cannot change my name to "Master Pain".

Reactions: JDA

paul

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've been using a pair of acrylic beaters for almost 20 years. On occasion I will substitute hard felt, but only rarely.

I can always play more softly if I want less, but felt won't give me the sound and timbre I like.

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
I have a round wood beater that's somehow flattened so I sanded the blunt edges where the flattened part and rounded part met and lacquered the open grain. I currently have Evans EQ patch on most of my bass drums and a Remo on one. I cut up an old leather wallet to make my own kick patches since I've heard good things about that combo but haven't picked up any contact cement yet.

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
My #1 choice!
They can charge 4 times the amount they charge for these and I'd still pay it. Aluminum balance insert, stainless steel shaft, lifetime warranty and Made in the USA!
I liked it so much that I bought extras in case I ever need a replacement. You never know when they discontinue something. Best spent $25 for my kit!

Screenshot_20200715-223042-picsay.png

Latest posts