Do you mix/reverse your hats?

Zootopian

Reaction score
Though I'll soon be selling my 14" A Rock Hats, I found recently I got a much better sound when I put the bottom hat on top. I was really amazed at the difference.

So do you have your bottom hat on top or do you even have mixed hats?

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Why yes, yes I do mix my hats. Sometimes I wear a ski cap over a baseball cap.

But seriously, I have several 13" hats that I mix continuously, and often put the heavier one on top, depending on the sound I want.

What I have (all 13"):
A Custom top
K top
Z Dynobeat bottom
HH EQ top
HH Regular top
AAX Stage bottom

I'm thinking about selling a couple of them but can't decide what I use least often. My favorite combos are:

K over HH EQ
A Custom over K
A Custom over AAX
K over Z (for heavier stuff)

Heartbeat

Advanced Heart Guru
Reaction score
Right now I'm playing a Paiste Giant Beat top over a 2oo2 Sound Edge bottom....Kind of a Giant Beat Sound Edge.

premierplayer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have been known to mix and match, and they're are some great combos out there, but for the most part the heavier of the two cymbals always ends up on the bottom in my set-ups.

BoxMonster13

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I received my set of hihats as a gift. They are vintage Zildjian A's (I think), and have no discernable markings other than the old stamp right into the metal. One of them had a much more pronounced stamp so I thought "Heck, that must be the top hat." I set it up and played that way forever. There wasn't a noticeable weight difference, at least to my hands. But when I cleaned them one time, I listened to them individually and found that the one I had on top had a lower pitch. I switched them, and they sound even better now. They didn't sound bad before, they are just more balanced sounding now I guess (if that makes sense).

Clue

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I play my vintage 13" A's upside down a lot..with the heavier cymbal on top. They cut a lot more and have a better chick that way. They are a lot sweeter and mellower the "normal" way.

Drumstyx7a

Team DFO
Reaction score
Back in 1984 I bought a set of Paiste Blue Label Formula 602 HHs and got a 14" Top Heavy and a 14" Top Medium and I run the Top Heavy on top. It was the time of the Gadd thing with the heavier cymbal on top. My pre-serial 602s I do run the heavier cymbal on the bottom ... The Paiste 502s that I got for a practice kit has the bottom on top as do a set of Masterwork Resonants in 13". The set of Wuhan S series 14" hats I've run both ways but haven't really decided yet which way I want to use those most.

Robb

dambugg

What?
Reaction score
I play a Zilco top hihat over a Meinl Raker sound edge bottom. The combo sounds great. I also use for heavier stuff a Z dyno beat over the same Meinl.

2000dan2000

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yup, every now and then, when the mood strikes I throw the Quick Beat top hat underneath the New Beat top hat. Of course now you got me thinking, I'll have to run downstairs and maybe try the quick beat bottom on top. :idea1: Hmmmm, I wonder.

Luddite

Mostly intentional comic relief
Reaction score
I had a set of Scimitars that came with my Clubdate kit. They sounded pretty appalling with the cymbals in their proper sequence. One night for the heck of it I swapped them and lo and behold they sounded much, much better. They kind of reminded me of Simon Kirke's Paiste 2002 heavy hats---very crisp and meaty at the same time. I wound up making them part of a package deal for a set of New Beats from Drumbum91 (Anthony).

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
I use a 14" New Beat top (on top) mixed with a 14" Quick Beat bottom. Gets a similar sound to the New Beat top/bottom combo, without the air lock because of the holes in the Quick Beat.

AgDrumma07

DFO Master
Reaction score
lossforgain said:
Why yes, yes I do mix my hats. Sometimes I wear a ski cap over a baseball cap.

But seriously, I have several 13" hats that I mix continuously, and often put the heavier one on top, depending on the sound I want.

What I have (all 13"):
A Custom top
K top
Z Dynobeat bottom
HH EQ top
HH Regular top
AAX Stage bottom

I'm thinking about selling a couple of them but can't decide what I use least often. My favorite combos are:

K over HH EQ
A Custom over K
A Custom over AAX
K over Z (for heavier stuff)

Hey man, try the A Custom over the Dynobeat. That's what I use...it's a great mix of volume and definition.

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks Brent, I don't mind that combo, it's just not one of my "go-to's" ya know?

Patrick

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yup,

Normally a mashup of a set of 14" Turkish K's and something modern from Zildjian or Sabian. Sometimes a heavy modern one on top, sometimes a thin old K on top.

Patrick

hawker

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Gadd of course plays with the bottom cymbal on top. With access to anything from Zildjian, I've always wondered why?

Zootopian

Reaction score
I received my Sabian AA Sizzle Hats the other day. Didn't like the sizzle, so I took out the rivets. Still didn't dig the sound as much. Put the bottom on top and I'm loving the sound, not perfect but much better than my old Rock Hats.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Zootopian said:
Though I'll soon be selling my 14" A Rock Hats, I found recently I got a much better sound when I put the bottom hat on top. I was really amazed at the difference.

So do you have your bottom hat on top or do you even have mixed hats?

I prefer the top on the top and the bottom on the bottom, but its always cool when you find something that appeals to you, by simply altering what you already have, slightly.

I do have a mixed set of hats, though.

I've been doing 13" hats with this kit and really liking it.
The hats respond quicker and seem crisper, right off the bat.
Originally did a set of Paiste Sig. DC's, but wasn't totally happy with their performance (and flipping them over wouldn't have helped).
Swapped out a few cymbals in the interim; replaced the bottom with a Sig. Med. bottom (nicer), swapped out the top for a Trad hat top (worser), tried mixing diferent combos of the DC top / Med. bottom with a set of Dimensions Light hats (uh...no), finally, tried an NSDE Mk.1 top with the Sig. Med. bottom....DING, DING, DING! WE HAVE A WINNER!!!
Great set of hats. NSDE Mk.1 top is similar weight, feel and sound to the DC top, but everything it does is finer, in comparison.
I'm very pleased with this setup and recommend it to anyone searching for a lighter, finer sounding set of hats.

Elvis

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
i have a pair of matched 14 zildjian hats from the 60's. they sound really nice. one day i slipped a 16 on the bottom with a 14 on the top. sounded really nice. i had read an article from joe morello in 62 i think about drummers doing this. i just couldnt get over the looks of it though. not for me.

mike

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
...oh yeah, and speaking of using "odd" combos...

During one of those "trials", I had sold off all the other hat cymbals, so all I had was the 13" Sig. Med. bottom and 3 rides, a 22 and two 20's, thus THIS became my "surrogate" set of hats, during that wait...

Latest posts