DO YOU PLAY OTHER INSTRUMENTS?!

Hypercaffium

Reaction score
I began with piano and vocals as a kid, switched to guitar for 20+ years, than bass for 3 years and last year I started drums. I still play bass and sometimes guitar.

Lazmo

Be excellent to each other...
Reaction score
Yep, sure do.
Drums, guitar, bass and vocals.

Started on drums... from '68 to '81.
Gigged a bit, but small time.
Then a major motorcycle accident left me incapable of drumming.
Took up guitar, and loved it, still do. Gigged a lot as a guitarist.
My Y2K guitar gig arrives, but the drummer doesn't show, so I have to to sit in on his kit.
My Wife and oldest Daughter (who were there) were incredulous, as I never mentioned I was a drummer, as it had just never occurred to me, to mention it.
Was then, forced by my family to to get a drum kit.
Then many years of house drumming at my mates open mic, which was OK, and then many years of the Melbourne original band circuit on the kit, and loved it.
Started to play guitar and sing, so had some vocal lessons.
Did a few gigs as front man, with okay outcomes, but I'm a better guitarist when I'm not singing and the reverse it true.
Recently, I bought a MiniP 3/4 bass, and lately an awesome Class D bass amp, and have been really enjoying it.
On bass I can easily (usually) jam to Spotify (like I can on drums) and it is doing wonders for my ear training.

Anyway, it's all good, and I have a great setup with everything I/we need at home... but I do miss gigging so much.

There's nothing like playing to a crowd.

crash

DFO Master
Reaction score
I started playing ukulele about a dozen years ago. It's taken a back seat, until the pandemic closed gigs off. Played it out a bit in a cover band. Jimmy Buffet songs, etc. It's become my main instrument now. Only did one streaming gig on drums since things closed. Agree with Lazmo about playing to a crowd being irreplaceable. With the uke group, have a regular gig at a farmer's market. That's been low key and fun. Life goes on....
l-2.jpeg

NickSchles

Reaction score
I have a similar background. I began on guitar. I didn't even want to play drums. I wanted to play guitar in the band, but the guys needed a drummer so that's what I did. The guitarist of the band showed me how to play a simple backbeat and then we had band practice every day for, like, a year and a half.

My relationship to guitar is strained now. My skillset has been improving at a glacial pace since I rarely practice; all that time is devoted to drums. But I teach guitar as well, so I play it every day. I'm in a position where I understand the instrument, understand how to expand facility on it, can demonstrate how to do so to somebody else, but have no time to do so myself.

Aside from that, I use guitar to write music when I'm inspired. I took keys for a couple years in high school and used to be able to plug along with Real Book tunes but that skillset is mostly lost for lack of use.

I've had an alto sax under my bed for 12 years. I'm intimidated by it.
Awesome! Re alto sax, dude, just go for it! As you probably know well, we all suck when starting out... Getting intimidated it by it is pointless, although I totally understand where you're coming from, I think.

NickSchles

Reaction score
Yessir, guitar, bass, and keyboards.
Big fun writing and recording all the tracks. (Note: I couldn’t play a decent guitar solo with a gun to my head.)
Awesome! It's a nice thing to be able to do that, right?!

Re guitar solos, yep! I feel you. I used to be a lot better at the guitar when I practiced more. These days not so much! :p You got any music online to listen to?!

Drumspb

Reaction score
So, here's the score... My main instrument is the drums, but my first instrument was actually the guitar... I love playing it, but I don't do it often enough. This is mostly because, for my own personal compositions, I find the process daunting and, because I'm perfectionist, the whole thing stops being fun after a while.

So, recently I started giving myself some creative exercises: to write and record 1 minute tunes in around an hour or so. The idea here has been to
  • Not overthink the process
  • Not worry about perfect takes
  • Capture the energy of the performances
  • Have fun making music
And it's been great! I've tried to do one every week for the last 4 weeks... Below is the latest one I've finished. All the tunes I've done so far have been old school Death Metal, coz I do love that genre so, but I'm not limiting myself to genre... Whatever comes out comes out.

Do you play other instruments? Do you write / produce your own stuff? What creative challenges do you give yourself? Please

Drumspb

Reaction score
So, here's the score... My main instrument is the drums, but my first instrument was actually the guitar... I love playing it, but I don't do it often enough. This is mostly because, for my own personal compositions, I find the process daunting and, because I'm perfectionist, the whole thing stops being fun after a while.

So, recently I started giving myself some creative exercises: to write and record 1 minute tunes in around an hour or so. The idea here has been to
  • Not overthink the process
  • Not worry about perfect takes
  • Capture the energy of the performances
  • Have fun making music
And it's been great! I've tried to do one every week for the last 4 weeks... Below is the latest one I've finished. All the tunes I've done so far have been old school Death Metal, coz I do love that genre so, but I'm not limiting myself to genre... Whatever comes out comes out.

Do you play other instruments? Do you write / produce your own stuff? What creative challenges do you give yourself? Please do share!
Great Great. Do u also play any White Metal!?