Do you prefer Lacquer or Wrap for your kits and why?

Do you prefer Lacquer or Wrap

• Total voters

OldeEnglishD

Reaction score
Just curious about the overall view of the group here. I am relatively new to the drums and the 2 kits I have are both lacquer and as I don't play in a band I don't have to worry about the abuse they take at gigs. Please let me know your preferences and any pros/cons you see in each finish type.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
lacquer.. because color doesn't matter on drums.
the abuse thing is not true; you're not going to abuse your drums whether finished in wrap or lacquer. 3) and if you're worried about your roadies throwing them in cases...well then you really have no worries or rather you have, other worries
3. the color of drums has nothing to do with playing
last time I checked
4) you Can't see the color from where we sit; they are all "remo" inside..(or pick your head brand)
6) Color matters to interior decorators
which I'm sure 6 or 7 will chime in soon.

Last edited:

drummer5359

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I voted wrap, even though I'm a lousy interior decorator.

My drums have traveled in Humes & Berg Enduro (or Enduro Pro) hard shell cases since 1996. As such, they stay in nice shape. That being said, the occasional scuff or scratch can happen. Wrapped drums just tend to hide them better. My 1975 Slingerland Blakrome kit looks like it did when I got it in 1992. (It had some minor wear when I bought it.) I had bags or fiber cases for every piece from day one. When the band I was in got really busy in 1996 I invested in good hard cases.

I bought H & B Enduro cases for my DW kit the same day that I bought it in 2008. It saw a lot of gigs between July of 2008 when I bought them and June of 2019 when my Gretsch USA Custom kit arrived. The DWs still look new today.

I did have a roadie with my last band. I have to use a cane from time to time due to a thirty year old motorcycle injury, there are times that carrying drums just doesn't work for me. The deal that I had with the last band was that I paid half of what the roadie got, they paid the rest. He did help carry PA, lighting and other musician's gear as well. I have the same deal with the new band.

Have I owned lacquer drums? Sure. But I am a bit OCD about my gear looking good and I just find that easier to achieve with wrapped drums.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
I have both. If I had to chose just one it would probably be lacquer because it looks so classy. But wrap is more durable. I use cases or bags for everything anyway but they are pretty much a must for lacquer sets. if you are contemplating hauling drums around without cases then I'd go with a wrapped set. Cortex wrap (countertop laminate) is particularly durable.

Last edited:

SonicTitan

Reaction score
I prefer laquer finishes, the natural wood grain is always more appealing aesthetically imo.

RogersLudwig

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I voted wrap. I just love pearl and sparkle finishes. i don't care if no one can see them but me; it matters to me and I have to look at them everytime I play them so I have what pleases my eyes. I have a set of WMP and burgundy sparkle, and I have the burgundy sparkle only because I stumbled on them in a remote New Mexico pawn shop, but I have since come to like them. Would I prefer red or tangerine? Yup, but there is a story to tell with the burgundy sparkle set and I like that. I always have cases, but I do look at lacquer drums with scratches and cringe. I had a set of Rogers, cobbled together from Daytons and Fullertons, in WMP and they looked as good when I sold them after 35 years as they did when I bought them. I don't know if a lacquer set would have held up as well or if it was just that I am a nut for getting my tubs in cases after a gig and have been since I started drumming. Bring back emerald pearl and purple pearl as staple offers from drum companies and I'd be a happy camper.

rstange1

Reaction score
I don't really have a preference. Of the 10ish drum sets I've purchased over the years, finish factored into none of them. Almost all were purchased used, and based on criteria of:
  1. Want to try something new (e.g., brand, configuration, construction, etc.); or
  2. Too good a deal to pass (specifically to flip or easy to flip if not for me).
The finish was what it was, and as long as it was in nice shape, I was happy.

If I were interior decorating for @JDA , I'd buy him this Canopus Zelkova bop kit (puts me in the lacquer camp) because:
  1. Joe would look impressive behind that kit.
  2. It's a Canopus after all.
  3. It's a lot of fun to spend other people's money!
@JDA, my interior decorating consulting fees are quite low (commensurate with my qualifications). Feel free to reach out for a quote! :)

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
with every lacquer vote a pearl wrap shrinks .000001" ready to curl
be careful with your pearl
DFo -traditionally- has been pearl wrap ground zero territory
"pearl never sleeps" it's shrinking as we talk
we'll see.

Last edited:

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
I prefer a wrap finish as I love the looks that are/were available and they are quite durable. My drums aren't abused ever but the color of my drums is important to me even if no one else could see them. That's not to say that I don't like a nice natural maple finish or some kind of burst.

My original Gretsch set that I got used back in 1983 has been with me a long time. It is a Rosewood Red and when I first got it at 13, I didn't like the finish when I got them as I thought they looked plain. I have grown to love them and I think they are really cool looking now.

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have both as well but all but one kit are lacquer finish . I atypically prefer gloss lacquer finishes but I have three recent snare arrivals that have a satin lacquer finish that really has made me rethink .

My one wrap finish kit is a very unique reproduction wrap that I love for it’s uniqueness and durability and appearance . There are few wrap finishes that really thrill me . Some favourites being Ludwig’s Black Galaxy, Mod Orange and Burgandy sparkle and Slingerland’s dark blue sparkle .

Attachments

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I voted wrap, just for durability. I prefer dye/stain to lacquer finishes to see more of the wood grain.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like both. There's some wraps that are awesome and some that are horrible. I've seen plenty of gorgeous drum finishes and some that were just awful colors. Technically, I prefer polyurethane over lacquer but that's still in the wood finish category. A medium reddish to dark wood finish is preferred although I would like an amber aged kit like Mr. Watts. In fact I have a Gretsch kit I am (still!) trying to finish that will be a tribute to Charlie's kit.....

RyanLovesDrums

Reaction score
I like lacquer finishes the best although satin finish can look nice also. Supposedly with those finishes the drums breathe/resonate better than with a wrap. Wraps can look cool, too, though so I don’t know.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
oh lacquer way ahead

Last edited: