Do you prefer Lacquer or Wrap for your kits and why?

Do you prefer Lacquer or Wrap

• Total voters

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
My two play-ready sets are shown here. One natural wood (danish oil only) and one wrapped. I love both, and I think the epitome of beauty is probably the natural finish. BUT I also love vintage drums and have a real thing for sparkle finishes. Green sparkle is my favorite, probably followed by blue, red, silver, and then champagne. If I want to buy vintage, I usually want it in a sparkle wrap.

Attachments

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lacquer but I like wraps too. And I love Jenkins-Martin’s but that’s outside your question. It all depends on how they look.

834E630E-FCA4-4B83-B22D-DBDA08BDE5CA.jpeg

CC Cirillo

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve had both—as well as natural I keep lightly oiled— and gigged them all regularly. I’ve never played with Pete Townsend, and I’m not Tre Cool, so I’ve never had any problems with them getting banged up.

Soft cases, a modicum of care, and sober bandmates can keep any finish looking brand new.

But my main kit now is a wrap. Just more gig-proof. For a few years I was doing a lot of multi-band shows, and if we headlined I sometimes provided backline. Never had any problems as the level of musicianship was high and that type of drummer repects gear.

All in all, I’m much more at ease with wraps in that kind of situation, as well as with the constant set up and tear down of regular bar gigs and rehearsals of the peripatetic drummer.

As far as sound, honestly I can’t tell much of a difference. 20 years ago I’m sure I could have.

"poppies"

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
There's also Inde's "ResoArmor," which might be the best of both worlds. The durability and finish options of a wrap, with the resonance of a lacquer.
Yep, this is the answer for me. I love lacquer finishes visually, but I've had big gouges over the years despite being very careful. Wraps can look very cool, but I really do feel a difference playing wrapped drums, like they have a "tighter" sound and feel.

ResoArmor looks amazing, sounds and feels great, and has held up amazingly well for me. The sparkles, especially, are just gorgeous on stage.

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I love sparkle/glitter wraps and I can not lie!!...

Here are some of my sparkle/glitter wrapped drums that I've owned, with many still with me!

-Mark

Attachments

sixplymaple

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
got to be kidding me; Satin isn't a wrap So satin love would get the lacquer vote
(that's how i see it) in this here poll.
Well the satin finish on my drum kit definitely isn’t a lacquer. I love satin finishes because they hide scratches so damn well, especially from 5 feet away. Scratches/chips in color lacquer or even clear lacquer stand out much more. Satin hides scratches better than a wrap too, but the wraps are nice because they can be replaced.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well the satin finish on my drum kit definitely isn’t a lacquer. I love satin finishes because they hide scratches so damn well, especially from 5 feet away. Scratches/chips in color lacquer or even clear lacquer stand out much more. Satin hides scratches better than a wrap too, but the wraps are nice because they can be replaced.
yeah I just meant in this discussion/poll/
anything without pearl wrap ....would be a check in the lacquer/wood box.
I have Satin Rosewood USA 2002 Gretsch... I don't know (or care really) how they do all I know is I love it
~~~`

I think pearl wrap more of a vintage look.
I'm ok with Space Travel (modern..

Last edited: