Do you prefer Lacquer or Wrap for your kits and why?

Do you prefer Lacquer or Wrap

• Total voters

BoomBoom

Reaction score
I have a lacquer kit I bought new in 1997. It is beautiful but when you get a little ding or scratch it hurts. I got a couple even though I have been careful. If I ever buy another kit it will probably be wrapped for that reason.

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wood.
It just works for me.
While I love unusual and sparkly broken glass finishes ... wood.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
wraps are like fins were in the Fifties.
............ah I know they're coming back

Gregdc

Reaction score
No real preference really but my situation is a wrapped set for my gigger (Renown), Wax/Lacquer for my luxury studio rig (Starclassic)

Deafmoon

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've owned both. I prefer lacquer to wrap in my home and wrap to lacquer for gigging. The Gretsch lacquer finish is so beautiful and seeing the grain in the wood gives me a sense of deeper appreciation for the drums origin and what they have become. Wraps don't do that for me, even satins and ripples don't. But there is no denying that when gigging your drums take a beating so wraps have their place as well. The issue for me is as I have gotten older, none of the hokey wrap, except solids seem appropriate for me to sit behind. There's something weird about seeing a drummer in his 60's playing a Mod Orange kit versus a Black wrap like Steve Gadd.

drums1225

Reaction score
Lacquer. I love a good sparkle wrap as much as the next guy, and on classic drums, I get the wrap thing, but I would never buy a wrapped late model drum kit. To me, it's like buying fine furniture with contact paper on it, rather than seeing the actual wood finish.

I still don't understand the "durability" issue. Just take care of your drums. I've been gigging the same set of lacquer Tama Superstars since 1987, and I'm not overly careful, but what does it really take to keep your drums from getting banged up? Not much. This 34 year old kit has accompanied me on ~90% of the gigs I've ever played. They have a few minor nicks and scuffs, but the shells look great and photograph amazingly well.

Chris_Palace Theater_Best.JPG
Chris_Palace Theater_Best.JPG

DavedrumsTX

Reaction score
Just curious about the overall view of the group here. I am relatively new to the drums and the 2 kits I have are both lacquer and as I don't play in a band I don't have to worry about the abuse they take at gigs. Please let me know your preferences and any pros/cons you see in each finish type.
I think it’s mind over matter. If you don’t mind, it don’t matter.

I have been playing for 50+ years and have heard this debate over and over. The player and their touch and approach to the instrument is far more important. Case in point. I took separate lessons with Danny Seraphine, Dave Garibaldi and Kenny Aronoff at Donn Bennett’s in WA. All three lessons were on the same cheap, wrapped Pearl Export kit. Guess what? The drums sounded amazing.

Mounting hardware, bearing edges, well tuned drum heads and a skilled player are far more important than the exterior finish in my humble opinion.

senecaty

Reaction score
Always liked the look of lacquer, and my first few profession kits were! But even though I baby my kits, things happen on the road...so I’ve been playing wraps for decades. The piece of mind takes the burden off, plus there’s something classy about a nice marine/diamond pearl or sparkle wrap under a set of lights.

Parcel

Reaction score
Just curious about the overall view of the group here. I am relatively new to the drums and the 2 kits I have are both lacquer and as I don't play in a band I don't have to worry about the abuse they take at gigs. Please let me know your preferences and any pros/cons you see in each finish type.
My first pro kit was Pearl wood fiberglass kit, rapidly expanded to 6 more toms, making it a concert tom set (8).
As one of them was a different color, I had them wrapped to match.
I even tried brass or plated brass sheet. Looked stunning under the lights.
Finally settled for white.
Then sold them to get an e kit, which led to a Pearl Drum X.
Sold that to get a Percussion Plus power kit, again expanded, to add 8" an 10" toms.
Never bothered re-wrapping after that.

So never had a kit covered in lacquer...

Attachments

rascalseven

Reaction score
Most of these replies seem to use either durability or aesthetics as the reason for their choice. For me it is a matter of tone. All things being equal, wrapped kits have a stronger fundamental note and greater sustain over their lacquered/oiled cousins. For this reason, primarily, I prefer wrapped drums.

Similarly, I prefer thick, heavy shells for the same reason. My absolute favorite kit is a late 1970s Ludwig red sparkle with HEAVY 6-ply maple/poplar shells. It's loud with tone and sustain that easily project to mics at the back of the room.

Joel

Monday317

Reaction score
Either; wrap makes little is any difference to a drum's sound, so it's really just a personal preference. I like both.

cletus72

Reaction score
Wood is good. Wrap is crap. You want to kill tone, wrap it in plastic. Just imagine wrapping a nice Martin acoustic in plastic. Drums are an acoustic instrument as well. Patina is character. Guitarists pay extra for road wear.

Iristone

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I like pearl and sparkle wraps overall. And I don't buy into that a wrap will affect the sound of a drum to any noticeable degree.

multijd

DFO Veteran
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use my wrapped drums when I have to play in the rain.

coastie

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I’ve had people do heinous things to my lacquered drums thru the years. And have the “I don’t know how it happened or amnesia or who knows what” response when questioned about it. With that said....I won’t take a lacquer drum set out any more. They stay home. I’ve had some great sounding wrapped sets but usually the lacquer sets sound best.
I love the glass glitter and sparkles. Not a fan of the other wraps. At all. Natural maple lacquers get my vote for most desired. Especially, an old Nitrocellulose drum that has aged to a beautiful amber.