Do You Remember Where You Were 20 Years Ago Today When "More Cowbell" First Aired on SNL?

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
Like many other huge events in my life, I remember the first time I saw this SNL sketch on 4/08/2000. I was having a couple of beers watching SNL when the first reference to Blue Oyster Cult (one of my favorite bands) caught my attention ...

From Glide Magazine: 20 years ago today (4/8/00), the fan favorite Saturday Night Live skit where Blue Öyster Cult is recording “(Don’t Fear) The Reaper,” that led to the catchphrase “More Cowbell” is filmed in front of a live studio audience. Host Christopher Walken serves as producer “The Bruce Dickinson”, and then cast member Will Ferrell as fictional cowbell player Gene Frenkle. Walken ask for “a little more cowbell” as Farrell bangs away in a tight shirt with his belly hanging out, leading to Walken exclaiming ” I got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell.” Check out the skit (along with Jimmy Fallon without fail breaking character and giggling).

ARGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I was gigging steadily during that time, so when people first started referring to it I had no idea what they were talking about. It probably wasn't until a few years later, or when those kinds of things started showing up on youtube that I saw it. Thanks for posting the link - I just watched it again, and it still makes me laugh.

Last edited:

Nacci

DFO Master
Reaction score
I believe that Walken said that that episode ruined his life, every juvenile within shouting distance asking him for more cowbell.

EA94CDF3-5598-4848-A307-F9170FDF21DF.jpeg

ThomFloor

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
On that day I was still repairing my computer from the Y2K bug of 4 months earlier.

Johnny K

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
April 8, 2000... Got up, went to a bicycle race (probably finished mid pack), came home, took a shower, then took a nap, woke up, had dinner, played with the dog and/or the wife too, watched some TV, went to bed. I stopped watching SNL back in the 80's

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I know I wasn't watching SNL. I was super busy finishing up college, working on landing my career upon graduation, wrapping up my last classes, and—of course—drumming the rest of the time.

Yeah, I too was very late to the "More Cowbell" joke. Haven't used a cowbell in well over 20 years, so I rarely encountered that line, anyways.

blikum

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Wow! 20 years really? I remember watching it and not thinking about the skit one way or the other. Then the next day at band practice one of the guys was talking about it. I still didn't think it was all that funny. I guess it's grown on me over the years.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
I was watching it live. I'm surprised it has infiltrated pop culture to the degree it has.

Skins_in_the_game

Reaction score
I must have been under a rock because a coworker mentioned it in passing about 5 or 6 years ago to me and I had no idea what he was talking about. I Googled it and watched at work. I laughed out loud. Then Watched it 2 more in a row. To be fair, I had moved to Australia in 2000 and they do not have SnL. They purchase the cheapest American shows they can afford so Judge Judy and Jerry springer were always available. I moved back to USA in 2007 so now I'm finding things I had missed during my time away.

Tornado

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I was watching MadTV. I really miss that show, it was actually funny.

dcrigger

DFO Master
Reaction score
Probably gigging... but if not, probably not watching... by 2000, my passion for SNL had waned quite a bit. Not meant as a criticism, just a comment on my interest at the time.

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
I actually was still watching SNL back then...I haven't watched SNL in a very long time...Never even think to put it on...

Hemant

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Top-5 SNL skit for me -- (along with Swayze & Farley Chippendale's routine to "Workin' for the Weekend which ironically has a cowbell start!)

davezedlee

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
i remember seeing it live at home, and thought it was hilarious

i knew something was up when i hung out with a DJ friend either 1 or 2 saturdays after, and a dance track came up with a (duh) super busy cowbell pattern and a breakdown with Christopher Walken's quote

this was the time of the CDJ-100, which not everyone had because they were very expensive, but if you had enough gear/expertise/cd burner and a platform, you could self-release a track in a week

that felt like a big deal at the time

BennyK

DFO Star
Reaction score
Saturday night I'd likely have been out on a gig somewhere , but I'm familiar with the cowbell skit . " I put my pants on one leg at a time, just like you guys ..." Walken has a lethally intelligent and precise humor . "- The Continental -" kills me everytime.

Last edited: