Do You Remember Where You Were 20 Years Ago Today When "More Cowbell" First Aired on SNL?

Polska

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Didn't see it live but I do think the skit is hilarious. Not so funny when people shout it out at gigs, though not yet as annoying as them yelling "Freebird". Yeah, still happens sadly. "Freebird" was somewhat funny the first 100 times I heard it yelled at a gig or small venue concert. <groan>

pwc1141

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I know where I was 20 years - working in Bangkok, Thailand. But I did not see that SNL episode until many years later as the show was not aired on local TV and I saw it on the internet.

ThomFloor

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
BOC has what , 3 good songs ???
Well not my fave either (I'd say 2 good songs) but 25 million records sold and a good live act. That's not chump change. Their ode to the cowbell part is as seminal as We're and American Band and Honky Tonk Woman.

DWSlingerland45

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I actually do... I was still in the service back then and had stopped being a Flight Mechanic the year before ( still the greatest job I ever had) anyway I was running the heavy inspection dock at the time and was still on The Flight Chiefs " list" to fly occasionally... Well....he got me lol. I was on yet another fighter drag / cargo run through The Med and I was walking to the cafeteria at NAS Siginella ( Sicily) it was Sunday mornin' early but SNL was on the TV thanks to Armed Forces Network TV that skit was on... I remember thinking it was not Hysterically funny but I'd basically been up for three days at that point. I watch it now and laugh but not that night.

Ickybaby

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Well not my fave either (I'd say 2 good songs) but 25 million records sold and a good live act. That's not chump change. Their ode to the cowbell part is as seminal as We're and American Band and Honky Tonk Woman.
If you've never had the pleasure to hear B.O.C.'s album "Secret Treaties" then I'd say give it a try. However, no real "hits"...… not sure when you say they have 2 "good songs" (OP gave them 3) if you are referring to taste or hits. Sometimes those two things cross.

Angelo Zollo

Reaction score
Based in Washington DC flying my beloved DC9-30. It was as technically advanced as a cowbell and equally awesome. Caught the episode at a later date.

ThomFloor

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If you've never had the pleasure to hear B.O.C.'s album "Secret Treaties" then I'd say give it a try. However, no real "hits"...… not sure when you say they have 2 "good songs" (OP gave them 3) if you are referring to taste or hits. Sometimes those two things cross.
Thanks, to be honest I was being a little flippant, as I am not really into the 'hits' by any band. I did see BOC live in 1980 (with Black Sabbath) and did not think too much of them. They reall lost me with 'Godzilla' but I will give Treaties a listen.

bellbrass

DFO Star
Reaction score
I have been an SNL fan since it had its debut. I watched it regularly into the 2000s.
I was watching that episode when it aired, with my then-wife. Being huge Walken fans, there was no way we would miss that broadcast. I remember cracking up at that skit. It was the funniest one I had seen in awhile. Also, being a big cowbell fan made it even funnier. I had my laughs, thought it was over, and then I noticed people shouting things to me at gigs whenever I played my cowbell. Of course, I couldn't hear them, because I had earplugs in. Later, guys in the band told me they were shouting, "More cowbell!" Of course I got it, and loved it. Later on, as my most recent band grew in local popularity, a girl even started wearing a t-shirt that has Walken's photo on it with the quote, and she zeroed in on me whenever I played a solo. She and her husband became great supporters of the band, so I began dedicating "Honky Tonk Women" to her.

Ickybaby

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks, to be honest I was being a little flippant, as I am not really into the 'hits' by any band. I did see BOC live in 1980 (with Black Sabbath) and did not think too much of them. They reall lost me with 'Godzilla' but I will give Treaties a listen.
I'd dare to say that most people wouldn't know it was BOC if you played it and didn't tell them.

ThomFloor

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'd dare to say that most people wouldn't know it was BOC if you played it and didn't tell them.
Actually I gave Treaties a listen this AM. Pretty good, the lyrics/songwriting was a little cliche' for me but some of that was "the 70's" . What did impress me a lot was arrangements and the drumming, and yes it was a little more prog than most their stuff. I found it interesting they worked with Patti Smith at times, not a match I would see.

studrum

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Not watching it, which I've continued to do all these years.

And I really like BOC, have at times enjoyed SNL, but love the cowbell as a musical instrument so much more than that.

studrum

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
They have way more than three good songs, just not in an arena/classic rock way.