Do you tighten all lugs & hardware new drums?

Bonzo442

Reaction score
I just received a new set of Ludwig aged exotic Birdseye maple downbeat kit and couldn’t be happier. While messing around I noticed, and in past kits as well, the screws and bolts holding lugs and hardware is kinda just snug and not really tight by any means. I usually snug everything up a little, well maybe a little more than a little! Was wondering if I should just leave it like the factory torqued everything?

Skeet6

Reaction score
Snug them back up, they'll get loose with use. Don't over tighten, though - can crush the plies with too much pressure.
Mike B

davezedlee

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
depends on the season... i wouldn't torque drums in the winter, when they've been stored in a heated environment, with low humidity

if they're loose in the summer, during humid periods, absolutely

LRod1707

DFO Master
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think I posted about this last year. I noticed the same with all my Ludwig drums. They arrive from the factory and it's all minorly snug. What I've done since then is open them up and tighten everything. I just don't overtighten!
I just received 2 new snares in the last couple of weeks and I did it to both on day 1. Seems to work fine and nothing has broke yet, Lol!!

vintagedrummersweden

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I remember reading they should be ”just enough” tensioned.
Something with the shell and vibrations...
Interview with manufacturer/drum guru in MD 1980’s...?

fun2drum

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't tighten them all when they're new because it just doesn't occur to me. I do it if and when a nut and washer drop off inside the drum, just to make sure the others are snug while I'm in there. That has happened on a handful of occasions, but not enough to make me think of it when I get something new.

T-Dub

Reaction score
I remember the lug screws on my classic maples seemed to be barely snug, so I tightened them up a bit, careful not to compress too much. No issues so far. Makes me wonder what Ludwig had in mind though....

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I remember reading they should be ”just enough” tensioned.
Something with the shell and vibrations...
Interview with manufacturer/drum guru in MD 1980’s...?
I remember reading all kinds of dumb stuff from those gurus back then, like tap your disassembled shell to get its "note" and tune to it.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't normally buy new drums but I will always take the hardware off and clean them as well as the shell. I'll reinstall and tighten them snuggly. Other than vintage Gretsch screws which strip easily, most of them like Slingy, Rogers and Ludwig can go tight.

Bonzo442

Reaction score
Ludwig does add a lock washer and a flat washer which resists coming loose so they could probably be barely tight and not fall off but a little snugging only takes 5 minutes a drum

ThomasL

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I strip all the hardware off, check all edges, give them a quick hit of 400 grit sand paper to smooth them out, clean and polish/wax all shells, hardware and hoops, then reassemble with new heads. Isn't that standard for all of us???

You forgot the part about removing all factory grease and replacing it with white lithium grease.

bassanddrum84

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yep first thing I do on any kit or drum when reheading as well as hitting the tension rods with white lithium grease