Do you value anything autographed?

markkarj

Reaction score
On a drum/cymbal side, do you put much or any value on autographed pieces?

I've seen this ad on a Canadian marketplace for years. I think the seller was first asking just shy of $200 for this. Maybe inflation has led to the price increase :/

Maybe I'm too utilitarian, but I frankly don't care. I want to play something rather than put it on a wall and admire it.

I've also been loathe to buy a "signature" product unless there's a very distinct value for my playing.

In this case aside from the odd Chinese model, I've generally avoided Sabian's B8 alloy models.

Screenshot 2022-05-23 124804.jpg

Last edited:

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't "buy" an item specifically for the autograph.
I've been given items that happened to have signatures on them ... oddly enough, Zoro gave me a cool box o goodies a while back when he was headed out and moving to other parts. Several items have his autograph on them.
I have no idea why anyone would think these signatures would up the value of a low end cymbal like that.
Strikes me as a bit warped.
Now ... with that said ...
I do own some nice memorabilia given to me by some special artists.
But the value isn't the signature.
It's the thought behind the gift ... and the gift.
So, this whole "inked names for profit" is a weird place I don't venture into.

Last edited:

mydadisjr

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The joke I have always heard is (especially when you see a cheapo musical item that was "artist" signed: such as a Squier guitar or a pro sonix cymbal)

"So... does the artist signature RAISE or LOWER the resale value?"

Here is an Alice Cooper signed Squier... been for sale forever on the Phoenix craigslist... super cheap "SQUIER BULLET"... comes with COA! Only $450.

00p0p_6ALeKXXJAM3z_0pO0jm_1200x900.jpg

Last edited:

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Neil, Alex and Geddy signed a drum head for me, and was given to me by Jim Fox, the drummer for The James Gang. I will always treasure that head.

Love that story.
I've got one signed by Joe Morello ... gifted to me.
It sits on a shelf.

It's funny ... I've had a ton of "artist" gear flow threw the home.
None of it had me reflect on the signatures.
Heck, there's a snare case just down the road at a church (where I gifted it) with Larrie Londin's name on it.
And wasn't it last year or the year before when Erskin had his sell on the cymbals? ... at least I think it was Erskin.
I picked up a couple and didn't like them.
Sold them to a few here.
Those were signed by Peter.
Never crossed my mind that someone would pay "extra" just because the guy inked it.
It's a strange world.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
Did he sign "Zoro, the Minister of Groove"?

I'm afraid, it's one thing if it's a Mickey Mantle-signed ball. Everybody recognizes the value of a baseball legend's signature.

I have a drumhead that I love that was signed by Eloy Casagrande ... Its value sinks in direct relation to how long it takes me to say "he's the current (not original) drummer of Sepultura and was named MusicRadar's Eight Best Metal Drummer in the World Right Now."

Ultimately, it's hard to find buyers willing to pay a premium for autographs of those still ascending the staircase of rock stardom.

https://www.drumforum.org/threads/h...-metal-drummer-in-the-world-right-now.195413/

Zoro's self-written bio is an amazing piece of work: https://www.zoroministries.org/about-zoro/

Drdrumdude3009

DFO Master
Reaction score
Depends on how famous the person signing it was.

Ringo Starr or Phil Collins? Yes. Maybe even Rich, Bonzo or Krupa.

Personalized autographs are nearly worthless unless they are dead. And signatures are the same in entertainment as they are in sports. Gretzky? Worth money. Doug Wickenheiser? Only if a St. Louis Blues fan over age 40.

bassanddrum84

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Nope. I own a autographed pic of Travis barker he signed in front of me and I have a couple items he gave personally. Belt buckle and lanyard. And I don’t value them at all other then it was special to me given he was such a inspiration in my early drumming days. They now are in a shadow box with the pic of him and I and hanging in my daughters room.

I also have Todd suchermans, mike Mangini and buns auto graph.

premierplayer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Na, not a collector of autographs.
I wouldn't be interested unless it was something the artist actually used in a performance. Like a broken 602 Bonzo used in a performance, with a personal statement and signature.
A budget line insturment the artist signed but never used is worthless, IMO

Fat Drummer

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep, I'm one of those middle of the road guys.... I like the idea of memorabilia but not enough to actually chase or purchase any. I don't actually have any autographs other than that which hung in my drum shop for years (so a ton of stuff from the 80's and early 90's) but I honestly don't even know where there at! So a retail item with a signature means nothing to me, but again, I'm not sure any signature would mean anything to me. However I still like the idea of memorabilia, even if I don't have any.

Last edited:

mydadisjr

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My wife and I used to go to the NAMM show yearly. She would cruise around and if she saw an autograph line, she would get in and try to get an autographed photo. She got photos from Mark Tremonti (Creed) and Steve Morse (Dixie Dregs, Kansas, etc).

She would then show the the pics to me and say "you ever heard of these guys? I haven't".

They all got thrown away in due time. Sorry, Mark and Steve.

Also got a signed DW one page glossy ad... Signed by TONY WILLIAMS! (he was with DW for a short while just before his untimely death).

I kept that one, but just now looked for it and cannot find it. Sorry, Tony (RIP)

It was this ad:

s-l500.jpg

Last edited:

SY-ya-nara

Very well Known Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I bought Chester Thompson’s designer kit he’s signed a bunch of the drumheads which I promptly put in a box. No pictures - the box is somewhere in the garage gathering dust.

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Autographs are the old concert pics and videos. Cool in the moment, but you'll never care about them after 24 hours.