Do you value anything autographed?

RogersLudwig

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Autographs are the old concert pics and videos. Cool in the moment, but you'll never care about them after 24 hours.
I grew up hanging around with my dad when he was in the movie business and after growing up around some pretty famous people, the only autographed item I have is a b&w portrait of my dad taken by Yul Brynner on the set of the Buccaner and presented to him when filming was over. I don’t have any use for autographed stuff.

Trilock_Gurtu

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Many years ago a buddy of mine was teching a clinic Omar Hakin was doing for Long and McQuade. I was away on a contract and couldn't attend. I was completely bummed as he's one of my all time favourites. I asked my friend to pass on the message that I think he's amazing, and to wish him a great clinic. I get back and my buddy gives me this signed drum head (I didn't ask for a autograph. he asked Omar to do it). As far as the "To A-hole" part, there's more to that story haha. Money wise, this isn't worth anything, but it's a funny, special memory, unique to me.

IMG_1942.jpg

Northamusi

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I doubt that I’d pay more for an item just because it has someone’s signature, but I have a few letters from Neil Pearl that you’ll have to pry from my cold dead hands.

bbunks

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
No extra cash. The autographed items I have are “valuable” only because they’re a reminder of an interaction I had with a musician whose work I really enjoy.

I have autographs from Art Blakey, Max Roach, Billy Cobham, Lenny White, Alphonse Mouzon, Herbie, Jack, Kenny and a bunch others, and all come with a story.

Last edited:

Tama CW

DFO Master
Reaction score
I think interesting signatures add "some" value.

Here is a Sabian splash cymbal signed by Sabian's Bob Zildjian to Paul Cellucci (Sabian Artist Relations Mgr) to commemorate Bob's induction into The PAS Hall of Fame in 2000.

IMG_6122.JPG
IMG_6123.JPG

Last edited:

Lt. Frank Drebin

Reaction score
My wife and I used to go to the NAMM show yearly. She would cruise around and if she saw an autograph line, she would get in and try to get an autographed photo. She got photos from Mark Tremonti (Creed) and Steve Morse (Dixie Dregs, Kansas, etc).

She would then show the the pics to me and say "you ever heard of these guys? I haven't".

They all got thrown away in due time. Sorry, Mark and Steve.

Also got a signed DW one page glossy ad... Signed by TONY WILLIAMS! (he was with DW for a short while just before his untimely death).

I kept that one, but just now looked for it and cannot find it. Sorry, Tony (RIP)

It was this ad:

View attachment 561096
The only autographed anything I ever had was a poster signed by Bobby Rock after a clinic he did in 1995. I rediscovered it recently and it went into the paper recycle bin. However, I have a pair of Dave Abbruzzese signature sticks that he gave me personally and also a leather coat that both Abbruzzese and Mike Portnoy (see my profile pic) touched that I'll always keep. These items are only important to me because only I know their history.

Formula 602

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a Elvin signed poster..of him playing a Yamahahaha set…Keiko came outside after the gig in Detroit…and people gave her stuff to have him sign inside…I got the poster from a drum shop in town…just in case I could get it signed…..Lucky I did!

mydadisjr

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The only autographed anything I ever had was a poster signed by Bobby Rock after a clinic he did in 1995. I rediscovered it recently and it went into the paper recycle bin. However, I have a pair of Dave Abbruzzese signature sticks that he gave me personally and also a leather coat that both Abbruzzese and Mike Portnoy (see my profile pic) touched that I'll always keep. These items are only important to me because only I know their history.

When I was running the drum dept at a local music store years ago, we did a big clinic with Bobby Rock when he was endorsing those crazy PEAVEY RADIAL BRIDGE drums.

What a nice guy, and he put on a really good clinic. He is kinda the "unknown great" in my book. Two years later I see him at the NAMM show and he remembered me and where I was from. Blew me away! Class act, that guy!

He is playing with Lita Ford now.

Here he is with that crazy "Sistine Chapel" 4 bass drum Peavey set...

image-asset.jpeg

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I keep Buddy Rich's and
Roy Buchanan's..
also Franklin D. Roosevelt Jr. 's
~
I had the entire 1968 Pirates baseball team (from a local banquet I went to (at 12 yo)
In an autograph book (Roberto Clemente, Elroy Face ,Willie Stargell, Bill Vernon, Steve Blass, Bob Friend)
Sold it to a downtown Pittsburgh Sports memorabilia collector establishment.
~

baseball 004.JPG
baseball 007.JPG

```````````
Franklin D. Roosevelt Jr. visited in person every Fiat franchise in 1966. And autographed a hardcover book on the inside page.
Roosevelt was involved in importation of Fiat to the US in 1966)
there's FDR Jr. signing the book

009.JPG

That's my dad on FDR's right and behind the gaggle of entourage that accompanied Franklin D. Roosevelt Jr. There in my dad's (showroom Jeannette Pa) signed on an 850 Sedan' front trunk ( still have the book)
~~
badazz eh?

011.JPG

FDR Jr.
I believe the Newspaper -were the ones- that took that picture as far as I know- but I have it also. forever

baseball 004.JPG 009.JPG 010.JPG 011.JPG 012.JPG baseball 001.JPG baseball 007.JPG

Last edited:

pwc1141

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Personally, autographs and signed items are of little interest. These days an iPhone pic can capture any magic moment and that's enough for me.

hsosdrum

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
... Ultimately, it's hard to find buyers willing to pay a premium for autographs of those still ascending the staircase of rock stardom ...
It's no different than the value of Willie Mays's rookie baseball card in 1951 vs. its value today.

idrum4fun

DFO Master
Reaction score
I value my dollar bill, autographed by Buddy Rich! I believe I've posted this before, but for those who are new, I saw Buddy and his band at Disneyland, probably very late 70's I believe. After the end of one of his sets, I got up the nerve to approach Buddy as he was exiting the stage. I asked for his autograph, but all I had was this dollar bill! With a smile on his face, Buddy signed it and even asked me if I was enjoying the band. Of course I said "yes"!! I didn't have the nerve to tell Buddy that he was signing the bill upside-down!

-Mark

DollarBill-BR.jpg

Redbeard77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
No extra cash. The autographed items I have are “valuable” only because they’re a reminder of an interaction I had with a musician whose work I really enjoy.
Yeah, to me the point of an autograph is a memento of an interaction with that person. The ones I have I got in person, and I've never had any interest in paying for an autographed item someone else has.

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
I scoff at listings that are 10x the price (or worse) of actual used retail for an item because they have someone's scribble on them. Anyone. If I want to buy a used piece of gear, I'll pay what that used piece of gear is worth depending on condition. Marker ink is a downgrade in my book, no different than if I tried to sell you a cymbal I let my kid scribble on.

I think the last time I asked someone for an autograph, I was 13-14 years old.

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
I do meet n greets for my wife. And small market bands. Mostly to chip in a few bucks when ticket prices can't be paying a mortgage. I got to meet one of my heroes about ten years ago and my wife was fawning for me as a stunt double because she didn't think I appeared suitably impressed. "He's a huge fan, he just doesn't show it" as we talked about our warmoth builds.

Only once have I ever thought of something I kinda wanted to get autographed. My son is a lefty. When we was 4 he wanted a bass. I found him a u-bass and made a smaller left handed body for it. Both guitar players in Third Day are lefties (but Mark plays righty). And we've been to enough M&G's that they would recognize my wife in the grocery store. And I kinda wish I'd gotten that one autographed.

xtranoise

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Only autographed item I treasure is this photo of Alan Shepard that my mother got for me decades ago. She named me "Alan" after him as I was born in '61, the year he was the first American in space. As a kid I was astonished, "He signed this for me?!?" I suppose she wrote to NASA requesting it as we lived hundreds of miles away from any space related activities.

Shepard .jpg