Do your band mates notice ?

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Do your band mates notice when you change out drums , snares , cymbals etc ?
I have one band mate that notices even the most infinitesimal change . I have another that only notices big changes like a different snare , larger drums , different cymbals .

Rufus T Firefly

Reaction score
My band mates rarely notice anything I change but at our last gig 3 of the 4 other members separately commented on how shiny my cymbals were. I always clean them before a gig. Surprised me.

LBCD

Reaction score
This would p**s me off! Back in the early 2000's I would clean my Sabian AAX brilliant finish cymbals and one of the guys would put his finger prints all over my clean hi hats on purpose. That stopped when I smacked his hand with my stick when he tried doing it again!

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Oddly enough, yes. And our bass player in the last band was absolutely obsessed with my Sabian HH Medium Ride cymbal. I don't think a single gig went by without him saying how much he loved that cymbal.

GeeDeeEmm

RedeyeSPR

Reaction score
My bass player notices something different, but he can never say what it is. He will ask "what did you bring this time" at the end of a gig. The singer and guitar players have no idea. To be fair, I have no idea when they bring new stuff either. Any amp sounds the same to me. I will notice between sets when I see a new color on the guitar stand, but not by sound. My guitarist buys a new one once a month or so.

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
They only notice when I have more than 3 beers :) no sometimes they'll notice something different and ask if it was a different snare or cymbals

Piggpenn

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I took a brand new set of cymbals to a gig to try out. I tried them out on the 2nd set and then went back to originals for the third and fourth set. No one noticed. Dimwits, I tell ya.

Browny

Reaction score
For the last few years I've been down to 1 set of drums, 1 set of cymbals and until this year, 1 snare. Not much difference to notice, although I would get a question or two if I changed something with the heads/tuning, like switching the tom heads from white suede emperors to coated ambs or going from a ported to solid front head. They noticed the first time I brought the 6.5" Acro instead of the jarrah snare.

pet fever detector

Reaction score
Me and my bandmates rarely buy anything new. If we do get something we'll make a show of it, there's no secrets or surprises and we're generally excited for each other.

CherryClassic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
No body really cares; actually I think at times they do, they just don't know what to say.

I remember one time, I changed from a 16x22 to a 16x18 bass. I asked my band leader after the gig what he thought about the smaller bass. He replied; I like that it takes up less space. He was surprised when I said not really, they are both 16" front to back and the toms are the same side to side. Although he did say he could hear the beat better with the smaller drum and my reply was; you should have said something, I can fix that.

I think most are afraid they going to upset someone if they critique anything about your plying or sound. And maybe it may be partly our own fault if we don't invite the input, I know I haven't. Just a thought.

sherm

pwc1141

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The guitarist in the trio I play in threatens to fine me if I don't take my nice kit and just use the house kit with my snare and cymbals. He loves my kit's sound he says.

Latest posts