Do your band mates notice ?

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
My sax player is practically obsessed with my kit, he comments on every little change, even when I brought a different bass pedal. The rest of the guys only notice if I change something really big, and then not always.

CC Cirillo

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Band One, Covers: Notice nothing. Here’s an example—for over a year I played every rehearsal and gig with kit with a light natural wood finish; then I switched to a kit with a pearl wrap. They did not notice. i told them this is like if your wife was a blond and came home one day with brunette hair and you didn’t notice.

Band Two, Original Rock: Bass player notices snares, but she’s also a drummer so not sure if that counts. But the singer/songwriter! It’s her first band with a drummer and she notices every hi-hat or ride cymbal change, by ear. In a good way. She even can tell if I’ve switched up to nylon tips. She’s a natural talent and when some of her rough originals have a section with an oblong feel she allows me to iron out the feel or change it to a sexier groove. Big talent; no ego.
She really sees drums as the posts holding up the fence, keeping the herd from running all over the highway.

One thing I’ve noticed with a lot of cover players is they are often not listening to the drummer unless he’s really messing up. In their head many of them are just hearing the original record.

tripp2k

Reaction score
Band One, Covers: Notice nothing. Here’s an example—for over a year I played every rehearsal and gig with kit with a light natural wood finish; then I switched to a kit with a pearl wrap. They did not notice. i told them this is like if your wife was a blond and came home one day with brunette hair and you didn’t notice.

Band Two, Original Rock: Bass player notices snares, but she’s also a drummer so not sure if that counts. But the singer/songwriter! It’s her first band with a drummer and she notices every hi-hat or ride cymbal change, by ear. In a good way. She even can tell if I’ve switched up to nylon tips. She’s a natural talent and when some of her rough originals have a section with an oblong feel she allows me to iron out the feel or change it to a sexier groove. Big talent; no ego.
She really sees drums as the posts holding up the fence, keeping the herd from running all over the highway.

One thing I’ve noticed with a lot of cover players is they are often not listening to the drummer unless he’s really messing up. In their head many of them are just hearing the original record.
Or a click track!

Neal Pert

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
What good is buying new gear if you don't tell your bandmates about it ad nauseam while you're setting up? "I know you're used to the Bounce ride, but this one's an Overhammered Bounce prototype, so that means..."

Mine do, but that’s because I make sure to tell them. I like to see their eyes roll!

BennyK

DFO Star
Reaction score
Positive recognitions-

Acrolite
Pearl free floater with a Slingerland buddy Rich 5-ply shell
22 " Sabian HH heavy ride ( early 90's)
22"x 14 TAMA Superstar birch bass drum
24x14 double headed Rogers script logo .
24x14 double headed WFL .
20x16 MIlestone - single or double headed, didn't matter

Negatives -

Paiste 2002 20" China cymbal
22" A Custom ping ride
Pearl brass piccolo free floater

MBB

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I think in this case most band mates are no different than audience members, they only notice if the drums sound crappy (like a bad house kit) or if we were to make a major change that they can see, like a new kit. Sad really, considering we are so obsessed with our sound and take a lot of time to get it right. I however notice all the subtle and not so subtle tone changes when our lead guitar player changes guitars, amps, pedals etc as well as the bass players different rigs. Hell I even notice when guitar players fiddle with settings diuring gigs even if they are minor.

bob

DFO Master
Reaction score
my band mates notice . i have a black set and a champagne set .... i might fool them next gig when i take out my natural finish camco set .... we'll see

mcjaco

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My band doesn't typically notice my drum gear. Since I've become obsessed with saving my hearing (may be too late for that LOL), I've been messing around with IEM gear on the cheap, so they always ask what I'm trying for that evening.

drummer5359

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I had been working with the same bass player for at least five years. I could bring my broken glass DWs, walnut Gretsch, WMP Slingerlands, it didn't matter, he never noticed anything. We were playing an outdoor gig and he made a big fuss about my new cymbals, I'm guessing that in the sunlight he noticed the hammering. of course this was the exact same cymbal set up that I used with him at least three hundred times before.

Last edited:

CC Cirillo

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I forgot to mention the reverse for me-- I do make a great effort to notice my mates’ gear. If it’s new, I simply say, “Tell me about this” … “What made you chose it?” Then I check in with them over time to see how they like it, what impact it’s having on their playing, etc. If it’s a returning piece I say, “Haven’t seen that hottie for a while. I thought you two had broken up.”

I played with a bassist with a massive collection, about 40 basses. Each rehearsal he’d bring two: His trusty forever bass, and one from his collection to try out. I’d comment right away. These were all iconic basses. I mean, how does one not notice a hulking nose-diving Thunderbird in Vintage Sunburst or an old P Bass that looks like it was dragged behind a hearse? Talking to him about each one, then having him illustrate why it was unique, was quite a lesson for me and we only stopped talking because we had so little time to actually play.

The only exception to my inquiries would be one guitarist who every week seemed to acquire a new pedal or amp from a mega music retailer with a generous return policy. It’d show up in his gear for a one rehearsal romp and then be returned. We are all different in our amplitudes but this is something I don’t understand. Hell, I get a new cymbal and it takes me a year of playing it to understand it, and then another year of playing it to decide if I’ll keep it. And that’s just a disc of metal you hit; I can’t imagine coming to that conclusion that fast with something as complex as an amp/ pedal combination.

Rotarded

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My band mates are so used to me bringing something(s) different to almost every gig, that they don't bother to even bring it up anymore. More often they ask at rehearsal "what did you get this week?" LOL

halldorl

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I once bought a 5x14" 70´s Supra and snuck it in mid rehearsal, replacing my then Brady snare. Next song; bass player stopped mid song, turned to me and asked me what is that snare? I told him and his reply; please put that Brady snare back up.

Cauldronics

DFO Master
Reaction score
Depends which bandmate and band. In my 90’s alt rock band, I can change out my whole kit and it’ll be 1-2 months before one of them says something.

In my rock/funk band if I change one thing, one or two of them will ask me about it and eventually end up playing the kit to hear the difference before we’re done practicing. Totally different people and mindsets between the two bands.

mkelley

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I had a rock singer not like my cob Supra and asked that I use their modern Tama Imperial Star instead.

jb78

Reaction score
I’ve had them pretend to notice. Example: I had been using a 20” K Heavy and switched to a 22” Constantinople Medium. To my ears (and I’m sure to yours) it was a significantly quieter, less pingy sound. After practice I asked one of the guys if he liked the new ride. He clearly hadn’t noticed it until I pointed it out, took a look at the cymbal and said something like, “yeah it’s much louder?”

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
Our guitarist might notice sometimes. Our bass player will ask if something's new even though I hadn't changed anything. I swapped a cymbal out in the middle of a gig, from an 18 to a 14, and neither the singer nor bass player noticed. Not sure if the guitarist would have, but he saw me change it since we were talking about it.

Latest posts