Do your band mates notice ?

shilohjim

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
If the band members are indifferent towards other members sounds, I'd have to question being in a band with them. I obsess over every sound and tone, to the point of letting people go when they are unwilling to make changes. I've even gone back in the studio and changed parts and tones after other members have left. I play in an original band. If I were playing in a cover band, I probably would not care nearly as much.

rculberson

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My bandmates definitely notice, and even request certain gear. If I do a backline gig, they’ll request I bring my hi-hats and snare drum every time.

nickrobotron

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Never. They don't give a sheeet. The only things I've heard was "that ride cymbal opens up well" and "is that a new snare drum". The ride comment was because I went from crash riding a on a 2002 ride to crash riding on a Giant Beat. The snare drum comment was because it was all brass hardware and looked gaudy as heck.

NYFrank

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Nobody notices, unless I show up with a completely different kit. I only swap between 2, and they don't notice.

CAMDRUMS

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Nope. Kinda begs the question why we agonize over all this gear. It’s really just for ourselves. If band members don’t notice the audience sure won’t (aside for any drummers out there).

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
Nope. Kinda begs the question why we agonize over all this gear. It’s really just for ourselves. If band members don’t notice the audience sure won’t (aside for any drummers out there).
I've gotten to the point where I don't really worry about the gear, as far as buying and selling all the time. When a cymbal cracked and I was looking for a replacement I pretty much bought the first one that replied back with a video of it and wasn't too beat up. I figure you can't go wrong with 60's Zildjian A's and I know the size I like, plus inexpensive. The rest of my cymbals are 60's A's, so they're likely going to fit sonically. As long as my drums aren't falling apart and are tuned as best as I can get them, I just play them. No matter what kit I use I sound like me, for better or for worse.

Bri6366

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My former band mates tended to notice shiny things. I would rehearse on my guitar player's kit and cymbals or a practice studio kit, so there was more of a wow factor when I broke out my top of the line kit.

MillerMav

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If I change out snare's that usually gets a bit of attention and I suppose the one time I changed out kits they obviously noticed as well. Cymbals get no interest at all. My guitar player loves my ride (22" Bettis Medium) but other than that no one notices them.

fun2drum

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Our bass player notices everything about my bass drum. He comments on it regularly - not negatively but he always says something if it's something he likes, or sometimes it's just a matter-of-fact observation. I find it helpful. It's interesting that the one he likes most is my 20" INDe. Says it's one of the punchiest bass drums he's ever played along with. They ALL notice if I actually play something a little different than usual.

miracle419

Reaction score
They don't pay attention to anything. However, when I got my DW performance Series right before recording a new album, (they obviously noticed a completely new set of drums) they were shocked at how different they sounded from a Mapex Pro M Birch. Same heads, same tuning, just more resonant, boomier, longer sustain. Our guitarist/engineer had compliments/complaints about having to readjust the levels on the recording rig.

Slingwig26

Reaction score
Do your band mates notice when you change out drums , snares , cymbals etc ?
I have one band mate that notices even the most infinitesimal change . I have another that only notices big changes like a different snare , larger drums , different cymbals .
They only notice when the color of the drums are different. “Oh, you brought the white kit” or “ oo, you brought the glittery red one”.

Angelo Zollo

Reaction score
I was unanimously voted into a Blues Band. 3 practice sessions and a show. They noticed I wore a white shirt and tie ( Blues Brothers ) They did not talk to me the whole night and I was fired via email the next day.

vintagedrummersweden

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Since my band is more into building the myth about the band, more than actually playing, yes - my band members do care about my drums. Not least the looks of them. :)
But - when I occasionally take my 8x14 Eames snare home for rehab, and use a different snare, all of them say "what's different? It doesn't sound like it usually does!", meaning that they miss that snare sound they like. And we rehearse at full volume, the legs of my pants woes like flags from the sound of the stacks of Fezzwatt amps (everything is branded with versions of our band name Fezz)
So that says something about Eames snares!

Attachments

Tom Holder

Reaction score
While browsing in a music store on the road, our guitarist overheard me playing "Mellow Yellow" on a set of used 15" New Beats. He hollered out from across the room... "If you don't buy those, I will!" He also notices when I put on a new batter head on my snare drum. He also notices when I use my Craviotto snare. He's a remarkable fellow.

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
I obsess over every sound and tone, to the point of letting people go when they are unwilling to make changes.
Captain Beefheart? Is that really you? After all these years

Robert Albiston

Reaction score
Rarely. Only my (killer) bass player from the CBGB days. Now, there is a flock of female vocalists out front, who as many guitar players, fly about in pheromone fog.

Robert Albiston

Reaction score
They'll have to pry my '63 Slingerland Sound King COB from my cold dead hands! (I've moved from the heavy stuff to small group jazz, a whole different world of nuance, syncopation, and expression--so, I've had to re-tool big time.) But as far as others noticing: a pro drummer here brought only a conga and hi hat to a jazz performance, so wee spoke of gear; he laughed and said, "Nobody cares." In my experience, drummers are gearheads beyond all other musicians. They also are at the top of the heap in cognitive test measures, not just musicians, but the general population. I know--I do psychometric testing, so cheer up everybody--there's a silver lining in our suffering.

jb78

Reaction score
I often think there's an argument to be made that we shouldn't want non-drummers to notice our gear. It should just sound and feel right for the music.

Latest posts