Do Your Drumming Interests Come And Go?

Roch

DFO Master
Reaction score
Over the years I seem to have a habit of being hot and cold with my drumming interests...since my first kit back when I was 10, I have had times where it was all about drumming, tons of gigs, rehearsals, etc, only to have it wane to periods of inactivity...I went for most of my 20's not playing at all, not even owning a kit any more...over the last few years, I go hard for a few months, practicing, flipping gear, then it seems to lose it's luster for a bit..only to come back again..not sure what triggers the starts and stops..but, it just does...anybody else have this happen?

drawtheline55

Owner/admin
Administrator
Reaction score
I cant say I have experienced what you have, my interest in drumming and drums is pretty steady.
I usually play them just about everyday.

bellbrass

DFO Master
Reaction score
No.
For some reason, I have been consistently enthusiastic about drums and drumming for almost 50 years.
The longest period of time I have had where I didn't care about drums is maybe 3-4 days.

tommykat1

DFO Master
Reaction score
Over the years I seem to have a habit of being hot and cold with my drumming interests...since my first kit back when I was 10, I have had times where it was all about drumming, tons of gigs, rehearsals, etc, only to have it wane to periods of inactivity...I went for most of my 20's not playing at all, not even owning a kit any more...over the last few years, I go hard for a few months, practicing, flipping gear, then it seems to lose it's luster for a bit..only to come back again..not sure what triggers the starts and stops..but, it just does...anybody else have this happen?
This is me! I'm presently in one of my lulls. Tired of being the gig-getter and having to haul all the crap around. 5 piece kit, PA, mains, monitors, stands, lights, you name it. And the band wonders why we still say we're together, but we aren't working. I say, get us a show and I'll be there. But I won't drive an hour for 75 bucks only to get home at 1:30 AM. We did our recurring (and lucrative) holiday gigs again this year, but that's it.

I say to myself I'll go to some of the local jams to play with some really fun and talented people, but when 7:00 rolls around, I'm happy to be inside with my honey, a cocktail and a movie.

Growin' old ain't for sissies!

pwc1141

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I played into my 20's then career and moves to another country interfered. I got back into playing by chance for a while then had almost a 10 year hiatus. Restarting again led to being busy then finally career retirement away from the big city put things on hold again as opportunities dried up. I got a few chances to play and still do but gig opportunities are the factor in any slow down not interest. I even recently bought a new kit in my advanced age so willingness to play is very evident.

Bri6366

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This is me! I'm presently in one of my lulls. Tired of being the gig-getter and having to haul all the crap around. 5 piece kit, PA, mains, monitors, stands, lights, you name it. And the band wonders why we still say we're together, but we aren't working. I say, get us a show and I'll be there. But I won't drive an hour for 75 bucks only to get home at 1:30 AM. We did our recurring (and lucrative) holiday gigs again this year, but that's it.

I say to myself I'll go to some of the local jams to play with some really fun and talented people, but when 7:00 rolls around, I'm happy to be inside with my honey, a cocktail and a movie.

Growin' old ain't for sissies!
Gigging was fun, but I also enjoy just playing in my drum room and enjoying the sounds of my drums and cymbals.

moodman

Lone Wolf
Reaction score
It's only natural, with technique one achieves a level of facility, you feel good about that but, at some point, you get bored and need to find the next level. The other factor, for me, is 'return' on time you spend drumming, gigs, new music to play, originals etc. At 73 with few gigs, I have to apply myself more to daily practice to keep in shape so I can play when the chance comes. The 'new' bassman in my band has a bunch of good originals, and recording gear, I've got originals too so, the 'fire' has returned for me and we plan to record our goodies. We have no expectations for this music other than to play it, record it and it's just for the love of music.
I've tired of all the gigging downsides over the years but will never turn down a chance to play my drums. It is what made me start in the first place and the reason I do it now, I love to play drums.

vintagemore2000

DFO Master
Reaction score
For Me "NO" I play everyday. I love drums, playing them, restoring them, selling them, I always work on a weakness while practicing. I've been in bands since my teens and still are, I love Drums !!!

BennyK

DFO Master
Reaction score
I gave up trying to quit .

I spend @ an hour a day behind the kit , this time of year more and check into the internet fishing for cool gear almost daily .

Usually once a week in the studio for 4-6 hours .

I had big intentions of improving my reading skills and academic vocabulary , but that's been less than fun .

Last edited:

jptrickster

DFO Master
Reaction score
Only there was a lapse this one time, my wife decided to start a baby factory cranked out three in 6 yrs....my drumming was on simmer but next thing you know they all had drum sticks in they're hands, life is good. My grandaughter is getting her first kit for Christmas she's turning one, again, life is good drumming is good!!

Drm1979

Reaction score
I've never lost interest in drumming. I try to practice at least once a day for an hour. However when I married for the 2nd time I gained a stepson. He was 2 at the time and shortly after getting married he was diagnosed with autism. The biggest thing is that he cannot handle loud noise. So the kit gets put away and I can only bring it out when my wife goes out of town to visit her mother. So I've been through my fair share of practice pads. Also we have 3 more children and live in a small 4 bedroom home with nowhere to set up my kit without it just being completely in the way. The only thing that I really have lost interest in is gigging. I live just outside of Pensacola fl. And over the past several years the local music scene has become nothing more than cover bands playing the same tired songs in bars. Fortunately I found a new friend who plays guitar, bass and sings, owns a nice 6 piece mapex mars kit, and has his own makeshift studio in the back of his tatoo shop that we get together every couple of weeks to play. I get to use his kit and we are demoing some original songs with an eventual plan to record and release on the internet. I do wish I could play on a real kit more often but for now this will have to satisfy me.

Radio King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
After 23 years of continual full time gigging, I hit burnout at 40 yo. I stored the drums in my attic, got a degree and became a middle school teacher. I went 10 full years (2000-2010) of not lifting a stick. Then something happened: an old girlfriend asked for my help in purchasing a drum set for her son. The bug came back, I bought new gear for myself, joined another band and became a full-blown weekend warrior. It became fun again. I balance both careers now, and thanks to the teaching gig, I only play because I want to, not solely for the money. I never want to go back to living hand to mouth again.

Tmcfour

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I had about 4 years where I hardly played but it was because I had to change somethings with myself to be able (mentally) to play music at all. Otherwise, I've been pretty much into it since 87-88 with a consistent passion.

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hot and cold? Oh, yes. I do that with all the interests I have. Drums, guns, motorcycles, stereo gear, building speakers, bands, and military history. I'll dig deep until I literally burn myself out, switch back to one of the other hobbies, burn out, yadda, yadda. I must say, though, that drums have seemed to be fairly constantly represented, but with highs and lows, as well. The highs now come whenever I find a new piece of gear or have a chance to play in a band.

GeeDeeEmm

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
There was one period in the mid 1980s while performing in a house band 5 nights a week for 2 years that I got somewhat tired of entertaining and music in general. Cycling became a new interest that lasted for two decades yet I still stayed busy gigging.

Naturally, there's some days I don't even want to look at drums, and it's usually after a weekend of gigging, but when Monday rolls around it's back to drum fever again.

Been consistently performing without diversion (other than the cycling thing) since '77 so drumming's in my DNA forever.