Do Your Drumming Interests Come And Go?

drummer5359

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I started with drums and bass at age ten, fifty years ago. (Wow.) I got very serious about drums at age sixteen when I joined my first real band with musicians much older than me.

Since then I have been non-stop drumming ever since with the exception of two breaks which were beyond my control. In 1991, shortly before my thirty-second birthday I was in a horrific motorcycle accident. I was out of commission for over a year. At the beginning of 2008, at age forty eight I survived a major stroke. I had serious recovery time again.

Both times, being able to play drums again was part of the motivation in my recovery. As a matter of fact, I used drumming as part of my physical therapy. I'm without a band for the first time in a long time. I'll make a concerted effort in remedying that situation after the first of the year.

I'm not done yet.

So, in a word, No.

Johnny K

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hot and cold? Oh, yes. I do that with all the interests I have. Drums, guns, motorcycles, stereo gear, building speakers, bands, and military history. I'll dig deep until I literally burn myself out, switch back to one of the other hobbies, burn out, yadda, yadda. I must say, though, that drums have seemed to be fairly constantly represented, but with highs and lows, as well. The highs now come whenever I find a new piece of gear or have a chance to play in a band.

GeeDeeEmm
I think you might be my long list twin brother from another mother.

Bluenote

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Over the years I seem to have a habit of being hot and cold with my drumming interests...since my first kit back when I was 10, I have had times where it was all about drumming, tons of gigs, rehearsals, etc, only to have it wane to periods of inactivity...I went for most of my 20's not playing at all, not even owning a kit any more...over the last few years, I go hard for a few months, practicing, flipping gear, then it seems to lose it's luster for a bit..only to come back again..not sure what triggers the starts and stops..but, it just does...anybody else have this happen?
Yes, this is me.

Life and other interests “get in the way” I suppose.

I went 11 years without playing ‘85-‘96, as I got married, went to college, lived in an apartment.

Blue vistalites sat idle.

I’ve put in a lot good work since ‘97, have never played better. But I badly want to upgrade my doubles and improvement is marginal. I need a Gruber!

Jam once a week at my place and it’s so convenient. I work 12-hour shifts on a rotating sked so gigs are out.

Not sure I miss gigging, but would love to develop and record some original stuff ith the current group.

Pounder

DFO Star
Reaction score
I love playing and realize it more each time I play. However I also play keyboards and synths and I've been enjoying that a great deal lately. Jammed with some friends last weekend and enjoyed the drumming! It's in my system, but I don't really miss the activity when I'm not doing it. I do sometimes conceptualize various beats. So I believe it is very much a part of me, conceptually now more than ever.

hefty

DFO Master
Reaction score
I'm in a lull right now. My main band imploded this fall, my others have been dormant. One band should get revved up in January though, but right now I'm feeling so detached from playing I could almost see stopping altogether. I've even been considering selling some gear to fund other hobbies! This is the most I've felt this way in a good 10 years though (or maybe ever) and I suppose I'll get back to it. Right now I can envision a life without drums. Feels pretty weird....

TheMattJones88

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I go on and off with drums, especially with gigging. Playing original music at tiny clubs in Boston isn't rewarding. No one comes out the shows, you don't get paid, and the other bands playing don't particularly care. At the moment drumming is just kind of a way to hang out with one of my good friends. We hang out, play some music and have a good time. The whole gigging thing I could do without though. I love recording though, I think that's tons of fun. I used to work at a studio, but then life and money got in the way so I had to stop.

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I was sort-of forced to put away my kit for a few years when I was heavily inundated with all things graduate school (nope, wasn't a music major). But otherwise, no — it's been the same consistent passion since about 1988.

Buddy Roach

Reaction score
This is totally me. I've been on and off a few times. Right now I'm on big time. I got a place where I could get a kit set up and I got back into a band. I have never been forced to stop but sometimes I just have had enough. One of the reasons, which are myriad, I am not a professional.

I love the playing at the gigs. Even lousy ones, playing genres I don't care for. I'll play every gig like it's Carnegie Hall. It's the other stuff that has to happen that kills me; loading in/out, dealing with club owners, dealing with alcohol infused troglodytes, and so on.

I'm way more into performing than just pure playing. So if I'm not gigging I just don't play at all. I can't really show you any great technique but I can show you a great time.

drummerfriend

Reaction score
45 years ago what I'm about to post would have been appalling since drumming occupied my headspace 100% of the time...

I would say the for the last 8 years my 'intensity of the interest' comes and goes based on life and what's happening at the time. It used to be ALL consuming and then somehow it was no longer critical...

I've never declared "I quit", but I have packed everything away for several months. A few times, actually.

These days I maintain somewhat of a balance of drumming by learning other (non drum related) instruments. Haven't gigged in probably 8 years and don't miss it. Not sure I will feel that way years from now, but these days I would rather be home with my family than playing any style of music, regardless of caliber of players, regardless of the pay or place.

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
I've been gigging since 1992 but until about 2004 I was only in one band at a time and averaged probably 30 gigs a year. From then until about 2015 I'd play between 50-75 gigs a year. In the past two years I've topped 100-120 gigs a year. So playing has been fairly steady but nothing more than a "habit", not a "hobby" or a "job".

I have though gotten to the point where buying and selling really isn't a thing anymore. If I do buy something I hope its a keeper as I'm really tired of selling at the moment. Not that I ever did a lot of it but it's always too much trouble in the end.

royalearl

Reaction score
Yes. However since my last relapse 5 years ago I've put aside 30 minutes every weekday morning to do padwork/rudiments.

I do this as soon as I get up before my wife wakes up.

I have gone through phases where I do not play the kit but I still do my rudiments.

Jayson

Reaction score
Over the years I seem to have a habit of being hot and cold with my drumming interests...since my first kit back when I was 10, I have had times where it was all about drumming, tons of gigs, rehearsals, etc, only to have it wane to periods of inactivity...I went for most of my 20's not playing at all, not even owning a kit any more...over the last few years, I go hard for a few months, practicing, flipping gear, then it seems to lose it's luster for a bit..only to come back again..not sure what triggers the starts and stops..but, it just does...anybody else have this happen?
Been the same with me - but now I am running a drumming website and have a new electronic kit (can play it 24/7) - so that gets me more motivated.

bob

DFO Master
Reaction score
this is my 50th year playing gigs .... my dad played his last gig 3 months before he died
i wanna be just like my dad .... so to answer your question , roch ... i've never lost interest in playing , and i hope i never will ....

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
Only two things could keep me from my drums. Weather. And no gigs.
Right now it's a weather holding pattern...

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
I may break for a day or 2, depending upon how busy I've been, but not more.And even if I'm not playing, I'm nearly always checking something new out or prepping for the next gig.

Sammybear

Reaction score
I think what you are going through happens to many drummers...the on and off again routine of life and what might get in the way of drumming, unless of course one makes drumming a career. I've moved in and out of drumming myself due to life circumstances, not necessarily because of a lack of interest. Since I retired 5 years ago I typically play once in the morning for 1 to 1-1/2 hrs. and once in the evening for about an hour, sometimes more. I try to practice with purpose and work on facility and technique for half of my drum time and the rest of the time I just put on the headphones and jam to my iTunes library and YouTube play lists. I'm probably playing better now than I ever have, so that system seems to work for me and the improvement keeps my interest level high. I also have some jamming buddies, some church work, occasional light gigs, etc. I may spend 4-5 hours/day on drumming things including online stuff like forums, gear research, music research, YouTube, etc. Even though there have been some health issues, God has blessed me with the ability to keep playing, so I continue on and love it more now than ever. It's quite a high when the lighting is just right as it reflects off the cymbals and drums, the drums sound good in the moment, you are playing good that day and it's just you and the drums. "Drums keep pounding rhythm to the brain..."

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
I feel better when I play even a little every day. Except when too damn cold to go into the garage.. like yesterday. But I like to hear my drums every day and myself.

drums are an idea pallet an idea canvas It's good 'to think'..
there's nothing really comparable. Well it's equal to fixing something-minor. But no chance of getting into trouble..
Just a few minutes of creating/ checking in/ every day..
I miss it if a day goes by..

MntnMan62

Reaction score
Yep. That's me. I'm 57. I was all about drums back in my college days. Then jobs took priority. Then I re-found drumming and began playing again in my early 40's, doing numerous showcases in Greenwich Village clubs. Then the job took over again and now here I am in my late 50's and the job is gone and I'd like to revive my drumming chops. The thing is, I'm finding that as easily as they came back in my early 40's, that is a much more difficult proposition now. I'm giving it a shot but it's been eye opening. So, yeah, I can definitely relate.

LarryG

Reaction score
I realize this is a coming a little late to the party: I hope Roch is still tuning in. I get what you are saying and the others here too. We can go thru this kind of thing as GEEDEEEmm said, with anything, any interests and even with people. Its what human beings do. But, since you call attention to your drumming lifecycle that only tells me you really have that basic drive (as in DNA) to still enjoy playing and the rush you get from them. Only your enthusiasm may not be up to it for a variety of reasons. And that's very ok. Very normal. I started drumming at age 7, lessons age 9, quit age 11. Went crazy until "had to get back!" age 13. Started gigging 14 until 55. But not necessarily all thru that time. Lots of breaks and distractions, always having to come back to drumming-playing. My drum set is from 1970. Tried to part with it many times in the last 5 years. Have not been able to do it yet. I am 73 soon to be 74 and I still believe I will make a come back again, some day. Roch, you do what you gotta do and the drums will wait on you. The beat is always with you.