Does a cracked wrap affect structural integrity?

android927

Reaction score
I just finished cleaning off my drums for the first time since taking them out of storage earlier this year, and i noticed what appears to be either a crack or a deep scratch in the wrap on the bass drum. I'm not sure whether this damage was caused while i was cleaning them, or if it's been there for years and I'm only noticing it now (the bass drum was *very* dusty before i cleaned it). I'm just wondering if i should be worried about the integrity of the drum. I stuck my phone into the port hole in the head and got some photos of the inside, and there doesn't seem to be any damage to the inner surface. Still, if the wrap is necessary for structural integrity, i want to have it repaired ASAP. Otherwise i think i will just live with it.

20200807_035849.jpg
20200807_035806.jpg

amosguy

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cracking in the wrap do not mean the shell is damaged. Heat and cold can cause wrap to expand and shrink, and may result in cracking.

Here is picture of shell I restored with cracked (and totally falling off) wrap with no shell damage.

Attachments

Twakeshima

Reaction score
Cracking in the wrap do not mean the shell is damaged. Heat and cold can cause wrap to expand and shrink, and may result in cracking.

Here is picture of shell I restored with cracked (and totally falling off) wrap with no shell damage.
Agreed, if it’d just the wrap that’s cracked the drum itself should be completely stable and fine.

Latest posts