Does any custom stick companies offer nylon tips? Thinking of copying a few Regal Tip models

Fat Drummer

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
So the Calato Regal Tip saga has finally caught up to me... I have played their sticks for over 40 years now and my stock pile is quickly diminishing. I have been playing the Combo and Jazz models for years in the nylon tips (along with the Jake Hanna at times as well) and I have yet to find a replacement for them. Recently board member CSR sent me several pair that show delivered to my office but we could never find them (that was incredibly cool of him by the way) and now I am starting to get to my last 6 or 7 pair of each. All that adds up to as touch of worry at this point!

So, I was thinking of reaching out to some of the custom stick guys and seeing if anyone could replicate those two model. Do you know if anyone offers nylon tip options? Everything I have found thus far does not so I was hopping someone might have an idea where I might look next.

Thanks,
Ward

Dumpy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My stockpile of preferred sticks is dwindling, as well. I don’t even remember what the specs are; I probably have them saved somewhere LOL while I’m a wood tip guy, I have very much a strange length, taper and tip shape preference. I had about four different pair of sticks made to try out specs, then settled on the preferred shape. I have one pair saved because I knew in my mind that I may have to send them in be copied. There is a pair of Pro Marks that will sub in nicely if they are still made. I have a few pair left. I am easier on sticks since I don’t compete with dimed Marshalls any longer.

If anyone else goes this direction, let me know how you like them.

Fat Drummer

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Fat Drummer what do the Calato sticks you use equate to size wise? 7A? Or bigger? .540?
The JAZZ model is 16" long and .520" in diameter while the little COMBO's are 15" long and .475. I wish both were longer (my "loud" stick is the 17" long Quest Love Vic Firth) but these are my primary two sticks.

sternerp

Reaction score
I've been trying out the Vic Firth American Jazz AJ5's. They're the closest feel to the RegalTip Jazz model that I've found. I want to try the AJ6 to see if they feel like the RegalTip Combos, though without nylon tip.

multijd

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The JAZZ model is 16" long and .520" in diameter while the little COMBO's are 15" long and .475. I wish both were longer (my "loud" stick is the 17" long Quest Love Vic Firth) but these are my primary two sticks.
I think you are describing the 7A which is 15”. The Combo is 16” but thinner than a 7A.
View attachment 487358
It’s weird though that when you click the link for the stick the combo comes up as 15”. I thought I remembered them as longer. Maybe measure yours? I may have a pair or a single stick.

They list the Jazz X which is longer as being available for direct order in wood tip.

Last edited:

Dumpy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I like the barrel size of a 7A with the length closer to a 5B. If someone did that stick, I’m all in.

NobleCooleyNut

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just engaged a Jeff Rich to make replicas of the Regal Tip Bob Gatzen model stick . Jeff is even replicating the Regal tip heavy lacquer finish . Can’t wait to receive them

Fat Drummer

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think you are describing the 7A which is 15”. The Combo is 16” but thinner than a 7A.
View attachment 487358
It’s weird though that when you click the link for the stick the combo comes up as 15”. I thought I remembered them as longer. Maybe measure yours? I may have a pair or a single stick.

They list the Jazz X which is longer as being available for direct order in wood tip.
Your so correct, BOTH are 16" long (you would think I would have know that instinctively), the 15'" combo came right off their website this morning... shows how poorly maintained it is. When I looked up the specs this morning I was thinking both models were the same length, but I went with the web site assuming I was wrong!

1614557964406.png

Assuming my calipers are correct here is the "home" numbers...

20210228_160513.jpg

20210228_160643.jpg

20210228_160746.jpg

bonefamily

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I’m a fan of the RT Combo - on my last pair now. However I always wished the Combos were offered in a wood tip. The Jeff Rich 6a look interesting...