Does anybody know anything about Axis hi hat stands?

RyanLovesDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Someone in my area has this hi hat stand for sale for $60 and I want to know if it’s worth my interest. I looked at pictures online of other Axis hi hat stands and they’re all slightly different. It seems that the body of the hi hat stands are all the same but the clutches are sometimes different. I can’t tell if this is the original clutch or not and I haven’t an asked him. He did say there’s nothing wrong with the stand, but said maybe it needs a felt at the bottom but wasn’t sure because that’s the way he bought it. Does anybody know?
A1DF8F01-F48C-4539-B4E9-72779107750B.jpeg
AB63A17F-BC96-4DCD-9C54-8A5850F8455B.jpeg
C7A2E9BA-0AFC-4BCB-8430-9A2C23A6E1ED.jpeg

Phantomlimb777

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
That isn’t the original clutch, but the bottom hi hat seat is right. I really wasn’t a fan of the axis clutch.

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
Do the legs swivel? If not, that would likely be a deal killer for anyone playing double pedal.

NobleCooleyNut

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
That isn’t the original clutch, but the bottom hi hat seat is right. I really wasn’t a fan of the axis clutch.
+1 - I owned an Axis hihat stand - the clutch is crap ! I hated it , could never get it the way I wanted it . The legs on the hihat do not fold as compactly as your usual hihat so it takes up a lot more room in the hardware bag . I would suggest you avoid this hihat . I could not get rid of mine fast enough . I was really disappointed because I love their bass drum pedals .

Last edited:

drumgadget

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have rescued two early Axis hi-hat stands; both had been severely mistreated: stripped threads, broken screws etc etc. These stands are a bit fiddly in their design - there are a lot of pieces of high-quality billet aluminum screwed together ..... with the bolts fixed by Loctite (use a heat gun to loosen these .. otherwise, you'll shear the bolt!).

I think they are great ..... at least, mine are! They do not respond well to being over-tightened or thrown carelessly into a "hardware coffin" with all sorts of heavy steel stands etc ...... and then churned about during transport.

Not to say that some of Darrell's designs didn't have some flaws (sorry, buddy!) ....... but if you want light and precise at the expense of some "kid glove" treatment on your part ........ this is your man.

I'd love to take that stand on as a restoration project! Unlike most chromed, cast pot metal drum hardware, these stands can actually be repaired, retrofitted, and restored ..... if you have a machine shop.

I agree about the clutch ......... a solution in search of a problem, way too complicated!

Mike

PS: took another look at the OP ....... the bottom seat, although well intentioned with its three-point support of the cymbal, is prone to losing one (or more) of the little rubber bumpers that serve as supports. I have replaced mine with Pearl three-fingered rubber washers.

Last edited:

RyanLovesDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have rescued two early Axis hi-hat stands; both had been severely mistreated: stripped threads, broken screws etc etc. These stands are a bit fiddly in their design - there are a lot of pieces of high-quality billet aluminum screwed together ..... with the bolts fixed by Loctite (use a heat gun to loosen these .. otherwise, you'll shear the bolt!).

I think they are great ..... at least, mine are! They do not respond well to being over-tightened or thrown carelessly into a "hardware coffin" with all sorts of heavy steel stands etc ...... and then churned about during transport.

Not to say that some of Darrell's designs didn't have some flaws (sorry, buddy!) ....... but if you want light and precise at the expense of some "kid glove" treatment on your part ........ this is your man.

I'd love to take that stand on as a restoration project! Unlike most chromed, cast pot metal drum hardware, these stands can actually be repaired, retrofitted, and restored ..... if you have a machine shop.

I agree about the clutch ......... a solution in search of a problem, way too complicated!

Mike

PS: took another look at the OP ....... the bottom seat, although well intentioned with its three-point support of the cymbal, is prone to losing one (or more) of the little rubber bumpers that serve as supports. I have replaced mine with Pearl three-fingered rubber washers.
OK thanks. I might go check it out. This has gotten me also thinking about hi hat clutches and I was just online and saw how now they have these quick release hihat clutches like the Remo one. Can you suggest a clutch? Is that Remo one good? I am really sick and tired of having to screw and fiddle with getting hi hat cymbals onto the clutches.

drumgadget

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I use the Remo quick-release clutch on all of my hi-ht stands. There is also a copy of this design (Taye?) .... I have one of these and to be honest, can't tell them apart. I'll never go back to a threaded-on nut under the top cymbal ..........

Mike

owr

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had one for awhile, beat it up pretty good gigging around and then finally sold it on to the next guy. They're pretty tough and for awhile were one of the only light weight options available. Lots more choices these days. Original clutch was crap, I broke mine in a week. Got a remo quick release and never looked back.

Formula 602

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
+1 - I owned an Axis hihat stand - the clutch as crap ! I hated it , could never get it the way I wanted it . The legs on the hihat do kit fold as compactly as your usual hihat so it takes up a lot more room in the hardware bag . I would suggest you avoid this hihat . I could not get rid of mine fast enough . I was really disappointed because I love their bass drum pedals .
Yeah!...Same..LOVE the foot pedals......hi hat?.....not so much!

scaramanga

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My memory of actually playing one was that there was a little too much wobble for me (which may have changed with my playing style. If that has changed), but the action felt GREAT. Also you can't beat the weight.

As an aside the Remo clutches are the ones to beat, IMHO.

RyanLovesDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My memory of actually playing one was that there was a little too much wobble for me (which may have changed with my playing style. If that has changed), but the action felt GREAT. Also you can't beat the weight.

As an aside the Remo clutches are the ones to beat, IMHO.
So some places that sell those Remo clutches have a different wingnut than others. See the pictures below. Are they just showing a pic of the older model of the clutch because I like the wingnut in the second pic which looks like the newer model. I would think that guitar center or musicians friend would have the newer model but they have that picture with that wingnut that looks like an older model or something.

0BD9AC36-412C-499E-B35B-7FAEE065A83B.jpeg
30C15576-920D-4FDA-94E5-6BCA078390A0.jpeg

RyanLovesDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I would think that the shape of the wingnut would be the least of your concerns ...... LOL!

So ........ didja buy that Axis stand?

M.
I just got off the phone with guitar center and all there sister companies like musicians friend have the old picture up which is the old model and a different wingnut so if you order it you’ll get the new model. Which has the curved wing nut. As far as that hi hat stand is concerned, I messaged that guy telling him I want to look at it and he hasn’t gotten back to me.