Does anybody know anything about Axis hi hat stands?

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK thanks. I might go check it out. This has gotten me also thinking about hi hat clutches and I was just online and saw how now they have these quick release hihat clutches like the Remo one. Can you suggest a clutch? Is that Remo one good? I am really sick and tired of having to screw and fiddle with getting hi hat cymbals onto the clutches.
My reply is long but it's about a clutch that really no one else has tried to make, or been as successful in making.

I've been happy with the Tama below although it has two design flaws that are easy to fix. It's primarily meant to leave the hats with a user adjustable gap between them when playing double bass, which it does better than any other clutch I've tried. It does the quick release thing, too.

Flaw number one: a little rubber insert that goes into the bottom of the clutch to prevent a metallic clunk sound when the hats are dropped. It needs to be glued-in, or it'll fall out when you fiddle with the clutch. Poor oversight and not very Tama in terms of quality design.

The second flaw: the threaded post with the black wheel on it needs a stop at the bottom, in case you forget to tighten the wheel at the top of the post to maintain your drop setting or leave it too loose and the wheel starts threading down the post (the cymbals are spaced apart to whatever degree you want using the wheel and a spring). Easily fixed with a lock nut from the hardware store (they have a nylon center hole that doesn't back out until you want it to with a wrench).

The quick release mechanism is counter to how others work. The sides have to be held to allow the slide lock to move, but once locked, it's not coming off. It takes a little getting used to.

Although I've pointed out a few oddities about the clutch, I have to admit it's the best one I've tried so far. One more thing to point out: the top section doesn't have a felt. It uses a three point red, rubber piece that does the job of a felt without problems.

https://www.tama.com/usa/products/detail/stdc7.html

RyanLovesDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My reply is long but it's about a clutch that really no one else has tried to make, or been as successful in making.

I've been happy with the Tama below although it has two design flaws that are easy to fix. It's primarily meant to leave the hats with a user adjustable gap between them when playing double bass, which it does better than any other clutch I've tried. It does the quick release thing, too.

Flaw number one: a little rubber insert that goes into the bottom of the clutch to prevent a metallic clunk sound when the hats are dropped. It needs to be glued-in, or it'll fall out when you fiddle with the clutch. Poor oversight and not very Tama in terms of quality design.

The second flaw: the threaded post with the black wheel on it needs a stop at the bottom, in case you forget to tighten the wheel at the top of the post to maintain your drop setting or leave it too loose and the wheel starts threading down the post (the cymbals are spaced apart to whatever degree you want using the wheel and a spring). Easily fixed with a lock nut from the hardware store (they have a nylon center hole that doesn't back out until you want it to with a wrench).

The quick release mechanism is counter to how others work. The sides have to be held to allow the slide lock to move, but once locked, it's not coming off. It takes a little getting used to.

Although I've pointed out a few oddities about the clutch, I have to admit it's the best one I've tried so far. One more thing to point out: the top section doesn't have a felt. It uses a three point red, rubber piece that does the job of a felt without problems.

https://www.tama.com/usa/products/detail/stdc7.html
Thanks but I just ordered the Remo. Eventually I do you want to get those red Tama wingnut things though that make it easy when you put cymbals on the stand.

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks but I just ordered the Remo. Eventually I do you want to get those red Tama wingnut things though that make it easy when you put cymbals on the stand.
The Remo is decent. I found the bottom felt a little too thin and it didn’t always hold the tension between the top and bottom, but it works well. Just requires adjusting now and then.

The quick release is quicker than others I’ve tried, though.

RyanLovesDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The Remo is decent. I found the bottom felt a little too thin and it didn’t always hold the tension between the top and bottom, but it works well. Just requires adjusting now and then.

The quick release is quicker than others I’ve tried, though.
Anything’s better than the clutch that came with the DW ultralight hi hat stand I have. It’s awful.