Does anyone care about the new Ludwig VistaLite Rerelease?

NoMotivationDrummer

Reaction score
They are rereleasing a 1970's era Vistalite kit. I myself would kill for one.

They are in a (in my opinion) beautiful island sunset color and I will be sad when they go off sale. They are a limited run of only 35 shell packs and each shell pack is $2,789.00. They are also selling a separate snare for around $600.

Let me know your thoughts on them below.

(EDIT: I accidentally posted this thread twice, sorry)

ludwig vistalite limited island sunset.png

Md2020drums

Reaction score
The quality is likely to be better on these newer reissues, although I feel like there’s going to be that “magic” thing missing. I had a set of blue 70’s (which I regretfully sold years ago. I try not to think about it). My old vistas weren’t really in round and the bearing edges were not flat on all the shell seams. That didn’t keep this kit from sounding awesome though. Idk if anyone remembers those old striped vistas from the day. Should have seen the bearing edges on THOSE. Oh my lol

ConvertedLudwigPlayer

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have had a few Vistalite kits - Smoke; two Black and Clear stripe kits. Not a huge fan of the sound, but I like the look :)

I always drooled over the Tequila Sunrise Tivoli kits as a kid. And, I still do.

I am not a fan of the mix of colors listed above, but like all of the those colors individually.

mattmalloy66

Very well Known Member
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great that Ludwig would do this, and maybe they will sell them due to the limited number they will make. 35 shell packs may find buyers.

jptrickster

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I fancy'd JB's kit when I was a kid but that's as far as it ever went. Nice to look at, they sounded pretty good but I heard they were loud and heavy and that's just not working for a 3 ply guy.

JonnyFranchi$e

Reaction score
Those look awesome I think. But I don't think I would ever play em live. A bit too loud looking. Possibly too loud sounding too IDK I've never played Vistalites.

TonyVazquez

Reaction score
I wish I could afford, and play, Vistalites. I like the clear shells because then folks can see me
do my thing behind a clear Vistalite kit; and they look awesome under any colored lighting.
That kit there looks nice, and it would fit in nicely with a reggae band of course.

dsop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If they ever make Vistalite without any seam, I would consider a set of Blue ones.

bellbrass

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Vistalites look cool, and I'm glad Ludwig is continuing to release retro-styled kits. However, I disagree with their marketing: everything now is "Limited Edition" and way overpriced. I've asked Ludwig dealers about getting a kit in my preferred sizes in some of the more recent finishes, and was told, "No, that finish is only available as the pre-configured limited run." It didn't used to be that way.

richardh253

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I restored a 70s set of Vistas 22-12-13-16 (like buying a Fiat, something you only do once in life) which was quite an effort, getting scratches out. But I loved the kit and even found a 10 x14 to add to it. Was sad to sell it but went to a good home.

Interesting that when the Rascals did their reunion tour a few years back Dino Danelli played what looked like a vintage Vistalite kit. And WFLIII Drums has an interesting Top Hat & Cane etched acrylic snare going.

1611959688228.png

1611959748733.png
IMG_0084.JPG

NoMotivationDrummer

Reaction score
I restored a 70s set of Vistas 22-12-13-16 (like buying a Fiat, something you only do once in life) which was quite an effort, getting scratches out. But I loved the kit and even found a 10 x14 to add to it. Was sad to sell it but went to a good home.
That Vistalite is absolutely amazing! It looks almost good as new! I can't imagine how long it would have taken to get all the scratches out of that kit. That is some masterful handiwork. It looks as if it was restored by a professional. rDavidr got nothing on you!

I think the hazy bass drum reso looks great with the clear of the drums, it breaks it up a bit.

I wish I could have something like this, but my family DOES NOT want an acoustic drum set in the house. Maybe when I move out...

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
I fancy'd JB's kit when I was a kid but that's as far as it ever went. Nice to look at, they sounded pretty good but I heard they were loud and heavy and that's just not working for a 3 ply guy.
- They're only as loud as we make them.