header.nohb.html

Does anyone else NOT like 16" floor toms?

underratedcowbell

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I don't think removing an inch from the depth of a drum would have any effect; especially a large diameter drum.
But it does. I started slow (1") thinking I would have to go a full 2 or 3" cut (16x14"-16x13") but find out that it is was enough for me to get the tom sounding as I wanted to!

Tubwompus

Reaction score
Along with a 16x18, my little stash of big Ludwig Maple Cortex drums has a 14” deep 16 and a 16” deep 16. I really can’t find any sonic difference between them.

Joblivion0073

Reaction score
To answer the OP I love 16 toms! I used to hate tuning them though. Depending on your set up, it sometimes clashes with the bass drum or makes it difficult to interval with a 14. I also am not a fan of the 12/13/16 set up. Too many compromises in my opinion for it to sound good. I mainly play CCM and gospel music so that 16 definitely gets used! I think it's important for tom beats.

I run a 8/10/12/14/16 set up. During my "tuning journey" I found a compromise has to be made to make both the higher and lower drums happy. If you set the 8 and 10 where they sound biggest and most resonant you may find your floors are too low and vice versa. This of course depends on your intervals between them. I use either fourths or in the case of 8" and 10" major third and they seem to sound pretty good to my ears. Your head choice can affect tuning too. I find coated heads need to be tuned a little higher.

I would start with your lowest tom and get it to a point where it just starts to open up resonant wise. I personally find tuning it to B1-C#2 (by ear not by tunebot or drumdial so its close not exact) range is where it sounds best anything lower becomes super flabby and anything higher begins to get too high and overly resonant. I also found on floor toms tuning the bottom head tighter helps the playability and projection.

Another major component is your technique when hitting it. Because it is looser, doubles may be more challenging so working on doing doubles on a pillow or a super soft surface can help. If you play it like your other toms, even compared to your 14, it may not sound great. Playing with proper technique can really change how it sounds. Learned this myself after years of tuning lol.

Sequimite

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I fell in love with the 14" floor tom because the set I played for two decades, '65 Slingerland, had a particularly good (low) one. I went to all maple kits and the 14" didn't cut it, I had to add a 16. The second all maple set I got was 8, 10, 12, 15. Now that I have Tempus and Milestone fiberglass sets the 14 is the lowest I've ever heard, as low as most 16's.

But I have nothing against 16's, it's the 18's that I have had difficulty tuning.

JonnyFranchi$e

Reaction score
Nope... same here. Mine is always easier to mic like a bass drum. Only problem I have is: 12" and 14" pitch is too close for me (when both tuned to Sweet Spot). So... I run 8" 10" 14" with RIMS Mounts. I'm happy with it! I do like 16" for what it is. Just not my thing.
Yep - just packed for gig tonight. 8/10/14.

nuthinmuffin

Reaction score
A 16 is key for playing the compulsory floor tom beat in any rock/pop genre. A 14 just doesn’t do it.
I tune my 14 floor tom low and, along with a fat zero ring, I can simulate double bass licks. been doing it for decades...

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
For me, a 16 is the default size. I’ll use a 14 if I want a 2 down situation.

Drum Mer

DFO Master
Reaction score
After the 15”, the 16” has come back in Fashion with me.

1663918574237.png

1663918605585.png

1663918553793.png

FatBoy46

Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use them both. for the Pearl 18" bass-12-14" FT. with the TAMA 22"" bass-13-14-15' 16FT. Just matter of tuning ability- of the drum AND the drummer..

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I like 14 over the 16. I have some of each. Thinking of going with a 12, 13, 14 tom setup instead of landing on the 16. 14 FTs are nice to haul around.

chakosticks

Reaction score
I tune my toms pretty low so my 14" is in the range of some other drummers' 16" toms I've come across. I use a 14" FT with my vintage Slingerland touring kit to keep things more compact for the van. I used a hanging DW 14" for my FT at a recent show in a large Chicago theater venue and regretted it, just didn't have the low punch I like, playing there again soon and I'll be bringing my 16". No question I prefer a 16" or 18" over a 14" if I have to choose and there's no need for a compact kit.

McLovin’ me Ludwigs

Reaction score
My ideal set up was 10high left above hi hat. and below that started sequence on rack :12,13,14.
Floor:16,18
Under hi hat 15.
that’s when i had all black wrapped drums and was indifferent to make as long as i had the diameters. (Which i still do) Mapex. Ludwig. Juggs. Pearl. Peace. Rogers 18 (sounds like kettle drum).
But now im into vintage.
Collecting and preserving american made works of (he)art, by people who took pride in putting out something of quality that will resonate their name with every flam, para diddle, blushta, and fill.