Does anyone else NOT like 16" floor toms?

Captured Saint

Reaction score
most of the greats played 16 as a standard FT size. If it’s good enough for them…..

understand OP point and I find it takes a bit of time and effort to tune plus a touch of moon gel and they sing

Stretch Riedle

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just played an outdoor gig, not miked, and had a 12x15 and 14x14 floor toms. NOT enough bottom end for me, so I bought a 16x16. I'll go back to what works best for me, which is 14x14 AND 16x16 floor toms. Matched with a 9x13 rack and 14x22 bass drum. Or a 9x13 rack and a 12x20 bass drum.
Stretch

evolving_machine

Reaction score
I like my 16" floor tom on my Pearl Master's kit. But, I also have a Gretsch bop kit with a 14" floor tom. I mention both the 14" and 16" because some posted in this link their dislikes with the 16" and they were unable to tune them. I use a thick double ply coated batter head, like an Aquarian Double vintage (two 10 mil plies) it makes it easier to tune a floor tom and it gives some very good deep sounds.

drumflyer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I always liked a 16 until I got my DW Collectors maple in 2018. I now love just having a 14 on the floor. I can tune it as low as I need to and it sounds wonderful. I play a 4 piece 20,12,14,14. When I ordered the kit I also had them build a 16 but I really never use it. I get a lot of compliments on how the drums sound by musicians and patrons at the gig.
Now cymbals is another story…they’re getting bigger and bigger!

YabaMTV

Reaction score
I know the 12/13/16 is a common setup, and even some 10/12/16 sometimes. It seems like a LOT of people default to the 16" FT.

I can't stand em. Might as well be a 70" floor tom IMO. They're just HUGE and hard to tune and even when I have them tuned up right they're just too deep and too flabby for me. And they seem physically huge. Might as well be a kick drum, or a timpani.

So I go 10/12/14 if I'm using 3 toms.

Does anyone else prefer to go no bigger than 14" for their floor tom?

(edit: the ONLY think I like about 16" floor toms is that they give me a place to store my sticks without them rolling off the drum - but I have to believe their are cheaper, more energy-efficient means of storing sticks during gigs and practices and such.)
I have and have variably used 16”, 18”, and 20” Floor Toms.

Thebstar

Reaction score
What I have found is with box drums (depth and diameter the same) depending on the bearing edge, I need to use a heavier head on the reso. Yes, Ambassador on batter and Emperor on reso (I cringed initially too). Takes the unwanted overtones right out and allows me to have a wide tuning range. Or, depending on the drum, the Aquarian single ply coated on reso and batter can be magic. It’s between an Ambassador and an Emperor, pretty cool.

Again, all depends on the drum

All that said, my 1963 15” Slingerland Stage Band with a 13” up tom is hard to beat

Lingojaimes

Reaction score
I know the 12/13/16 is a common setup, and even some 10/12/16 sometimes. It seems like a LOT of people default to the 16" FT.

I can't stand em. Might as well be a 70" floor tom IMO. They're just HUGE and hard to tune and even when I have them tuned up right they're just too deep and too flabby for me. And they seem physically huge. Might as well be a kick drum, or a timpani.

(edit: the ONLY think I like about 16" floor toms is that they give me a place to store my sticks without them rolling off the drum - but I have to believe their are cheaper, more energy-efficient means of storing sticks during gigs and practices and such.)
All I can say is: if 16" floor toms are your nemesis...then 18" and 20" floor toms must paralyze you with fear.

...Sorry. Can't say I'm in the same camp as you, friend. 14" toms would be considered a RACK TOM on my set ups.

doubleroll

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Always had a 16” floor no matter the setup. My current gig setup is 12/16/20. I can tune the 12” a bit higher and still have the bottom end of the 16”…works great!

Demonslayer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

Count me in.

Scdrumpro84

Reaction score
Personally I like the fat sound of the bigger floor toms. It's all about perspective though. I play a vast array of genres but currently in an extremely heavy metal band and a also a metal fusion band. I rock with 10", 12", and 14" mounted toms with 16" and 18" floor toms. I've got my set tuned from very high and tight with the 10" to very low and punchy with the 18" and the other three evenly pitched in between them. I've played since I was 4yrs old, for 33yrs now so I'm pretty damn accurate with tuning my set. However. Having a very large kit had me decide to invest in a drum dial to make the tuning process go from a number of hours by ear to less than an hour with the drum dial. I like it a lot and they are surprisingly very accurate! So I have all my resonant heads tuned to the same parameter but do have my batter heads 1 step down from the next, starting my 10" at 84 and my 18" at 80. The way its tuned allows me to be very versatile in style and sound depending on the genre I'm playing! Just played a show with 5 other bands recently and every other drummer there asked me how I got my set to sound so amazing and one dude said it was by far the best sounding set he's ever heard and asked if I could come tune his set for him lol! I've got a newer Yamaha Stage Custom. Currently running Evans black chrome heads but also like the Onyx series. 22" bass drum with Evans EMAD heavyweight batter head and Evans EQ1 resonant head with dry vents. Running a vintage Ludwig metal snare with an Evans heavyweight batter head and 500 series heavyweight resonant head with a 42 strand snare. And of course gotta have the 3 1/2"×14" Picolo with an Evans ST dry batter head and 500 series heavyweight resonant head also with a 42 strand snare. Thinking of adding an 8" mounted tom to the mix as well but it's already such a massive set with the 9 meinl classic custom dark cymbals and 3 piece cowbell rack, bongo set, and roto-toms lol. Next investment is a rack. Like I said, it's really all about perspective and personal preference, and how YOU like YOUR kit to sound. If you don't like the 16", then stick to what you're comfortable with. Rock on man, long the the backbones of music, cheers to the rich and rare drummers of the world!!!

Attachments

• 20220310_182737.jpg
    20220310_182737.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 9

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score
Just the other day I was thinking of shallower floor toms, and how the square sizes were probably invented as stand-alone units that weren't supposedly to topple over, hence the depth. I basically agree the change in dpeth/diameter relation with trad.sizes bugs me to a degree. I prefer floor toms on legs, so I more or less accepted they come in square sizes - and we're just used to the deep sound.
It occured to me that shallower floor toms on legs would be more stable with a kind of "ankle weight" on the legs.

rymivo

Reaction score
Nope... same here. Mine is always easier to mic like a bass drum. Only problem I have is: 12" and 14" pitch is too close for me (when both tuned to Sweet Spot). So... I run 8" 10" 14" with RIMS Mounts. I'm happy with it! I do like 16" for what it is. Just not my thing.

dingaling

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Sometimes a 16” comes in handy for certain things musically. I was recording with my old band and was using a 14” floor for a floor ride beat and it wasn’t working. I used the 16” and it had the low end needed to make it work.
I’ll post a link. Kit was a 12/16FT/20BD Sonor phonic kit.

Steech

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sometimes a 16” comes in handy for certain things musically. I was recording with my old band and was using a 14” floor for a floor ride beat and it wasn’t working. I used the 16” and it had the low end needed to make it work.
I’ll post a link. Kit was a 12/16FT/20BD Sonor phonic kit.
Sounds good. I want your phonic kit btw.

dingaling

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Same 16” floor tom here too but this is more a shuffle beat with the floor tom ride.

jptrickster

DFO Star
Reaction score
What's not to like about a 16in floor awsome sounding tom the kit would be bare without one come on.
Yeah this is my thought as well. I never met any size drum I didn’t like whether it be a bongo a tympani a conga timbales octoban ect ect . I am a lover of all things drum

Rich K.

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't like 16" floor toms when they are square sized bcause I always seem to struggle a bit with tuning. My rehearsal kit and live kit have both had their floor toms professionaly cut to 16"x15".
I don't think removing an inch from the depth of a drum would have any effect; especially a large diameter drum.