does anyone have or has anyone ever seen a ludwig 3-ply maple or walnut thermogloss snare?

jptrickster

DFO Star
Reaction score
Was just looking in my sold list thought I saw one there recently and ended up buying a Supra lol!
Sorry no Thermogloss .

K.O.

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
They certainly should exist....but I haven't seen either. Those finishes date to the timeframe where nearly everyone used a metal snare so very few (if any) were likely ordered.

studrum

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
They certainly should exist....but I haven't seen either. Those finishes date to the timeframe where nearly everyone used a metal snare so very few (if any) were likely ordered.

And so, for this (^^^), you will pay.
(In other words, KO has hit it right on the head).

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
and most were likely 6.5

here's an old oldie from before that time
that popped in a search of thermogloss

wait. not this one.

this

I know..whats a white crystal.
(darn interesting)

Last edited:
Reaction score
I sold my 6.5x14 three ply B+O maple thermogloss snare drum about five years ago, through Donn Bennett drums. No pics, sorry.

Reaction score
and most were likely 6.5

wait. not this one.

this

(darn interesting)
Crystal is an early 1940's paper thin covering used on L+L drums, not top of the line but more budget type drums.

Reactions: JDA

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
quite an eye-piece

and it's...
like ivory elephant tusk lugs

xkhg0yystdrabcglrzpb.jpg

hsokgajsazvzmyw99r9k.jpg

know it's a rewrap but still..

Last edited:

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I think that Roger Taylor of Queen had one or something like it back in the day. I recall seeing using a documentary on the making of A Night At The Opera and I think he did have a deep wooden Ludwig snare.

Only wooden snare I have that comes close is a old Ludwig & Ludwig, and even then, I'm reasonably sure it's mahogany.

Dan

K.O.

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've seen a fair number of 6 ply and later natural finish snares but 3 ply not so much (other than "base model" mahogany finish drums). Also remember that the time frame for thermogloss maple was just around 5 or 6 years (and even less for the walnut stained ones) before they switched from natural wood exteriors to cortex "wood" finishes as the default. But they were readily available during that time, all you had to do was order one...but how many did? Obviously a few were made but probably pretty small numbers due to the popularity of the Supra at that time.

Natural finishes and wood snares made a bit of a comeback around 1980 but those wouldn't be 3 ply shells.

Of course you could always strip and redo a Duco painted snare if you can't find a factory original thermogloss drum.

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
I'm kind of surprised Ludwig never made a maple one up for Ringo when he asked for the maple set. It was sent with a supra but all (if not almost all) of his oyster black sets came with a matching jazzfest that were never used as Ringo prefered to use number one. It just logically seems to make sense to me that Ludwig would have made one for him. I would love to see an original maple jazzfest with a keystone badge. That would be something....

Kcmcc

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm kind of surprised Ludwig never made a maple one up for Ringo when he asked for the maple set. It was sent with a supra but all (if not almost all) of his oyster black sets came with a matching jazzfest that were never used as Ringo prefered to use number one. It just logically seems to make sense to me that Ludwig would have made one for him. I would love to see an original maple jazzfest with a keystone badge. That would be something....
But given that the maples can be seen very clearly in the “Get Back” footage with dealer badges on them, it seems likely that the drums Ringo got were only the ones he asked for through the dealer?

JimmyM

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
and most were likely 6.5

wait. not this one.

this

(darn interesting)
That second one is what I have. It rules all.