does anyone make repro ludwig double tom mounts? (maybe a suggestion for repro part manufacturers?)

drumtimejohn

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I want to ask the Ludwig guys. My first set in 1968 bought used out of the paper (or a friend of my dad's can't recall) was a Ludwig 20/12/12/16 and Supra. Used (so I don't know year)

It had this Tom Holder

This Tom Holder (part no 781? is written in these ads as "59-60" for the year...
Assuming the Supra snare was original (no reason to think otherwise) to the set..

Was my Supra Brass?

I think I'm afraid it was ; )
I don't recall the weight it was substantial and darn pretty sure there were no pits on it...
Ha!
I have a date stamped 1965 Hollywood with the same center mount to hold the 12 & 12. The snare is Ludaloy.

Reactions: JDA

bon viesta

Reaction score
I think the ample supply of used ones coupled with the relatively small market would make it difficult to justify the expense of having the tooling made. The Maxwell rail is based primarily on the Ludwig design but is at heart a generic part that can be used on any brand of drums. The Ludwig double tom mount is specific to Ludwigs only which decreases the size of the potential market. Not to mention the fact that, as mentioned above, there are modern versions available that work better, or at least are assumed to work better or as well. The originals are fairly bulletproof too. I've never seen one break. The knuckle with the eyebolt inside can wear out but generally if not mistreated the rest of the unit will hold up forever. Unlike with the rail mount once you get the double mount set you should never need to adjust it again, or very rarely, which cuts down on the wear and tear. Rails on the other hand have to be adjusted and re-adjusted with each tear down and set up and they can wear out over time.

If someone did repro it they'd likely need to get $150 to $200 per unit to recoup their investment from the limited potential sales. Which would lead to posts here wondering why anyone would expect someone to pay that much for an item when there are plenty of originals in decent shape available for $40-$80.

Ludwig has been pretty good about keeping most of their "legacy" parts in production. Lugs remain the same dimensions, the brackets and base plate remain in production albeit in somewhat improved form, but with the same mounting patterns and basic look. I doubt many younger drummers would opt for the old school holder over the newer versions with the ball arms so that would limit the market to old dudes and/or collectors that want the right look on a vintage set...and then they'd probably complain if it wasn't 100% accurate down to the slightest detail.
excellent points. i think you’ve hit the nail on the head, and even if you haven’t it’s good enough reason for why people shouldn’t really attempt to do a repro. man i’ve never thought about how being a ludwig specific part does that. or rather it just never occurred to me that it could only be used with ludwigs.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
excellent points. i think you’ve hit the nail on the head, and even if you haven’t it’s good enough reason for why people shouldn’t really attempt to do a repro. man i’ve never thought about how being a ludwig specific part does that. or rather it just never occurred to me that it could only be used with ludwigs.
Well technically it could be used in any instance where the bass drum will accept a 1" diameter downtube but if the whole point of repro-ing the vintage mount is to maintain authenticity then it is unlikely that someone with a Gretsch or Tama set is going to want to buy one.

Also the mount itself evolved over the years, reaching it's final configuration with the black logo sticker around 1969 or so. If you were going to repro it which version should you do? The early flat version, the version with the rough cast "LUDWIG" in the center or the version that used the thick plastic insert (not really a sticker I guess but a self adhesive insert) ? The insert is another part that would require special tooling to recreate.

There was a MD article about a place in L.A. (Drum Doctors I think) probably 30 years ago by now where they mentioned they equipped all their studio set bass drums with the Ludwig double tom mount and all their toms with the brackets regardless of the brand. These were drums for studio usage and the idea was that if you wanted a Slingerland bass drum with one Gretsch and one Ludwig tom you could easily do that. Mix and match any combination of the drums they had available. The same article mentioned the many ghastly (by today's standards) modifications they made to vintage Radio King and Black Beauty snare drums as well to make them "studio ready". It was a different time, before the idea of collecting vintage drums had really become a thing. It definitely is an iconic mount and certainly an important part of many vintage Ludwig sets but, as I mentioned earlier, too many have survived to make it something that cries out to be remade.