Does anyone own a New Rogers Wood Dynasonic Snare Drum? What are your thoughts?

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
Does anyone own a New Rogers Wood Dynasonic Snare Drum? What are your thoughts? I am wondering how they sound compared to the old vintage ones?
Also, which lugs do you own...please post a picture, if possible?

rstange1

Reaction score
I've had a 6.5 x 14 WMP Dyna-Sonic reissue for a couple of years now. Bread and Butter lugs. No quality issues to report. Fit and finish is first rate and I'm really happy with the drum. Love the clock-face strainer -- so effortless to flip snares on/off. I haven't comparred directly to an original but there is at least one A/B comparison on YouTube if you search. I took a bunch of photos and posted here: <<photos of unboxing and minor disassembly.>>

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
I've had a 6.5 x 14 WMP Dyna-Sonic reissue for a couple of years now. Bread and Butter lugs. No quality issues to report. Fit and finish is first rate and I'm really happy with the drum. Love the clock-face strainer -- so effortless to flip snares on/off. I haven't comparred directly to an original but there is at least one A/B comparison on YouTube if you search. I took a bunch of photos and posted here: <<photos of unboxing and minor disassembly.>>
That sure is a beautiful looking drum. The shell looks impeccably done the right way. It really looks like a vintage drum, even on the inside. How do you like the sound of the drum?

rstange1

Reaction score
Yes, it sure is nicely done. I could not afford an original Dyna-Sonic in top condition, but feel like I have a time machine with the reissue. I find the drum is quite versatile - have played quiet stuff in church and full-on big band gigs. It's a little brighter than I expected and tuned medium-high where I like it, annoying overtones from off-centre hits are kept to a minimum.

The only thing I don't like about the drum (and this is pretty trivial) is that the snare bridge rattles against some of my snare stands when the snares are disengaged. This only happens on stands that have little or no "dish" to the snare basket -- like my DW Ultralight. I've added some washers to raise the drum a little in the basket as a work-around. No issues in a "normal" snare stand like my Yamaha 700 series.

drumtimejohn

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My experience is here as well as a ‘66 and 2019 comparison video by Memphis.

PS heads arrived safely and the box is in quarantine.

1588742295565.jpeg

hsosdrum

Reaction score
I'll repeat what I wrote a few weeks ago in the "Talk me down from a new Dynasonic" thread:

I've been playing drums for over 57 years, and over that time I've played on just about every highly-regarded snare drum you can name. I currently own a LB416BT brass-on-brass Black Beauty that I've been playing (and loving) since 2013. Last December I brought the BB down to Pro Drum Shop in Hollywood and did a side-by-side comparison with a new 5x14 Dyna-Sonic (I even brought a new matching batter head for the Dyna so the test would be fair). I played both drums for nearly an hour, after which I ordered a WMP Dyna, which arrived 3 days later.

Simply put, my WMP Dyna-Sonic is flat-out the best snare drum I've ever laid sticks on. Go online and check out what old Rogers catalogs say about the Dyna; I've found that all their claims (except one) were 100% true: • Pinpoint definition: Check. • Choke-free sound: At all volumes. • Faster stick rebound: You betcha. • Full dynamic range: The best I've ever heard. • The sound of music: OK, this is subjective, but the drum blends perfectly with my 2013 Ludwig Legacy Maple kit. • Simplest adjustment of any drum: OK, this one isn't exactly true, since each of the 2 snare adjustments affects how the drum sounds and plays in a different way, so it's easy to muck it up if you don't learn how each one works.

HOWEVER (and it's a big however): This drum isn't for everyone:

• If you're a heavy-hitting backbeat monster you'll never take advantage of what's different about this drum. If I want to play 2 and 4 all night my Black Beauty works much better. Remember, this drum was originally designed and built to woo Buddy Rich so he'd become a Rogers endorser. If you play with speed and subtlety, and if you play at lots of different volume levels, this may be the perfect drum for you.

• If you use heavy drumheads much of the subtlety this drum can deliver will be lost. In the '60s Rogers originally shipped this drum fitted with Remo Diplomat heads; I think my new one came with a Diplomat (Rogers logo), but I removed it without ever playing it and immediately installed a Fiberskyn FD since those are my preferred heads. Nonetheless, this drum was designed to work best with thinner heads.

• As I said earlier, it's easy to muck-up the adjustments, which can make the drum sound and play lousy. Back in the day many drummers became so frustrated with their Dynas that they replaced the snare frame with a conventional 20-strand snare (which was OK on the metal versions, but since the wood ones don't have snare beds they don't work well with conventional snares). This frustration was 100% due to drummers not learning how to properly adjust the drum to get the best performance.

The best advice I can give you is to try one that's been properly set up before buying one. I grew up in the early 1960s lusting after a Rogers drumset, so when they brought this drum back with the beavertail lugs last year I just had to see what all the hype was about. Turns out it wasn't hype — it was The Real Deal.

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
I'll repeat what I wrote a few weeks ago in the "Talk me down from a new Dynasonic" thread:

I've been playing drums for over 57 years, and over that time I've played on just about every highly-regarded snare drum you can name. I currently own a LB416BT brass-on-brass Black Beauty that I've been playing (and loving) since 2013. Last December I brought the BB down to Pro Drum Shop in Hollywood and did a side-by-side comparison with a new 5x14 Dyna-Sonic (I even brought a new matching batter head for the Dyna so the test would be fair). I played both drums for nearly an hour, after which I ordered a WMP Dyna, which arrived 3 days later.

Simply put, my WMP Dyna-Sonic is flat-out the best snare drum I've ever laid sticks on. Go online and check out what old Rogers catalogs say about the Dyna; I've found that all their claims (except one) were 100% true: • Pinpoint definition: Check. • Choke-free sound: At all volumes. • Faster stick rebound: You betcha. • Full dynamic range: The best I've ever heard. • The sound of music: OK, this is subjective, but the drum blends perfectly with my 2013 Ludwig Legacy Maple kit. • Simplest adjustment of any drum: OK, this one isn't exactly true, since each of the 2 snare adjustments affects how the drum sounds and plays in a different way, so it's easy to muck it up if you don't learn how each one works.

HOWEVER (and it's a big however): This drum isn't for everyone:

• If you're a heavy-hitting backbeat monster you'll never take advantage of what's different about this drum. If I want to play 2 and 4 all night my Black Beauty works much better. Remember, this drum was originally designed and built to woo Buddy Rich so he'd become a Rogers endorser. If you play with speed and subtlety, and if you play at lots of different volume levels, this may be the perfect drum for you.

• If you use heavy drumheads much of the subtlety this drum can deliver will be lost. In the '60s Rogers originally shipped this drum fitted with Remo Diplomat heads; I think my new one came with a Diplomat (Rogers logo), but I removed it without ever playing it and immediately installed a Fiberskyn FD since those are my preferred heads. Nonetheless, this drum was designed to work best with thinner heads.

• As I said earlier, it's easy to muck-up the adjustments, which can make the drum sound and play lousy. Back in the day many drummers became so frustrated with their Dynas that they replaced the snare frame with a conventional 20-strand snare (which was OK on the metal versions, but since the wood ones don't have snare beds they don't work well with conventional snares). This frustration was 100% due to drummers not learning how to properly adjust the drum to get the best performance.

The best advice I can give you is to try one that's been properly set up before buying one. I grew up in the early 1960s lusting after a Rogers drumset, so when they brought this drum back with the beavertail lugs last year I just had to see what all the hype was about. Turns out it wasn't hype — it was The Real Deal.
Great review!

hsosdrum

Reaction score
YES, YES, YES, RTFM!!! In the months since I bought my new Dyna, twice I have managed to fiddle with the tuning and the two snare adjustments to the point where I mucked up the drum's sound and playability so much that I needed to "start over". I followed the tuning and adjustment instructions on the included instruction sheet (PDF posted by RIDDIM) and both times it resulted in a beautiful-sounding and extremely-playable drum with all of the wonderful characteristics that Rogers originally claimed for the Dyna.

Since then I've learned to 1) Leave the friggin' bottom head ALONE once it's tensioned as Rogers recommends, and 2) Don't sweat the snare buzz. You can't hear it in recordings, even recordings of the drums by themselves, which means that an audience will never hear it when the drums are played in a band with other musicians.

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
Well, I finally bit on a new Dynasonic Wood 6.5x14 Gold Sparkle Lacquer drum. This is was just so beautiful and it was priced right...I couldn't resist and I am glad I didn't resist. It is truly an incredible drum. It is different from anything I have ever played. I can actually say that in my 40+ years of playing, I have never played a Rogers Dynasonic that was set up properly with the bridge mechanism, et al. It is sensitive beyond my expectations and I am simply loving playing rudiments and going through Stick Control with this drum. The drum's sensitivity really doesn't change as you go to the edge. The finish is gorgeous and the edges are too. It is just an extraordinary drum in every way.
xbc7ft3bc7igcvrniub1.jpg
xzrhp7ql40nqpkwy8ksf.jpg
l3f3iz8sffb6qu4apjad.jpg
yezqeiqqk7omhxfkfnsy.jpg
vfhnykj1cp46fwsa3cvv.jpg

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
I love Rogers drums! But I’ve never owned a properly set up Dyna. I had one back in the and removed the frame. Bad idea since the Dyna-Sonics don’t have much of if any bed. I must try one again and give it a fair shake.
Rob, have you played a vintage Rogers Holiday kit?

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
I love Rogers drums! But I’ve never owned a properly set up Dyna. I had one back in the and removed the frame. Bad idea since the Dyna-Sonics don’t have much of if any bed. I must try one again and give it a fair shake.
Rob, have you played a vintage Rogers Holiday kit?
I highly recommend one, Dan. It's a different kind of a drum. Entirely unique. Vintage Rogers Holiday Kits are the bomb! I would love to find a nice one. Rogers was WAY ahead of their time.

Latest posts