Does Anyone Play a Bop Sized Kit and NOT play jazz here?

Dillasdonuts

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am just curious if this is your go-to size but you aren't a jazz player.

If so, what are some good bop size kits that you like?

Matched Gripper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Inexpensive bop size kits seem to be popular among kids who play in punk style garage bands.

Last edited:

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
I am a jazz player, but I also use bop size kits for blues, classic rock, pop and a plethora of other styles. In our nascent 60s rock group I use an even smaller kit - a micro kit (an Odery Cafe) with a 14" bass drum. I also sometimes use a 20/12/14 kit, but I seem to gyrate to the smaller ones. My current situation is mainly blues, 50s-60s rock and pop, and country. The bop kit is my preferred configuration. If things flip and I wind up playing more jazz, then I'd probably opt for one of my 20/12/14 kits. For me it's the ergonomics of the kit and how small of a space I can cram it into that determines what I use more than sizes that are normally associated with a genre or genres.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah! Show yer face..! and er.......here's your set ---------------------->

Reaction score
I use a 18/12/14 kit and I play in a reggae band. I use a roland RT-30k with a TM-1 module and run only a bass drum trigger through a mark bass amp that I pack to each gig. Maybe the mass is equal to a full size bass drum but I get the low end and flexibility I need for the smaller indoor gigs we play.

Attachments

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
I have five "bop" sized sets. While I do play jazz on them I would have no issue using any one of them for a rock or blues gig, provided that the drums, particularly the bass drum, would be miked up.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
"Not every song is jazz".. but most are..

Jazz is "just", freedom.
You are creating each and every movement in the moment.
That's Jazz. Freedom. to create. as you go along.
whatever the business is at hand..
If you're creating in the moment
that's jazz.
and if, the other players aren't playing a confining role and they too are creating..that's jazz.
actively creating the moment
the melody can be " Mary Had a Little Lamb"..

Last edited:

frankmott

Humble (drum) shop-keeper
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Back before -- well, you know -- I used to play this kit every week at a jam night.
13x18" Pearl Roadshow bass drum covered in wallpaper from Walmart!
6.5x10" Ludwig 3-ply converted concert tom (Sky Blue Pearl, matching the rest of my extensive "shell-bank.")
12x13" "floor" tom, converted Ludwig Rocker mounted tom
5x13" Pearl Roadshow snare drum, recovered in an old piece of scrap Champagne Glitter. It's surprisingly good sounding.
In fact, they ALL sound really good. The jams would occasionally swerve into jazz, but not often. The sizes were due to volume issues, not genre.
I became very adept at quickly turning them around for the rare drummer who wanted to sit in.
The gig sometimes got tedious (guitar players! UGH!), and paid poorly, but I would give anything to do one right now.
Jamkit.jpg

Squirrel Man

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
"If you don't buy that (somebody has to..) you ain't jazz"

lol (kidding..)
click on the Reverb link of it in the post above the picture. there a soundfile/ you Tube/ and it's tuned down loooo
Had more lower end than I thought, now I really want to play it lol

No, I ain't jazz but I'm getting there gradually.

It's all good.

drumsdbes

Reaction score
When I was gigging I used a Yamaha hip gig Rick Marotta kit and then went down to a Sonor AQ2 Safari w/ 16" kick. It actually had a really nice punch which worked well for the small indoor venues we'd play. My forum pic if of the Hip Gig.

Fat Drummer

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had and have spoken of a first gen Gretsch Catalina Club bop kit I owned as well as the custom built Joe Montineri kit that followed it (both in 12,14,18) and I can assure you I DON'T play jazz... I secretly work on it at home every day, but it is an art form that has thus far eluded me! What I am is a pop player so my kits are tuned lower with more punch, controlled decay and usually a two ply head. I just went with the 18" kick for the convenience of easy one load transport for my casual gigs. It was after two different sets that I discovered I just dont like the feel of playing an 18" kick! They both sounded great, but I was not interested in using a riser and setting it on the ground made playing the center sweet spot difficult. So I moved to the "Progressive Jazz" sizes with a 20" kick and am in love!!!

My Montineri kit in 12", 14" and 18" sizes... now I'm playing one with a 20" kick... Everything is tuned low and fat!

20200118_164629 copy.jpg

Ian S

Reaction score
Small drums can pack a punch, and being more convenient is another key. I have a Yamaha in larger sizes, but I also recently grabbed a little Safari too, because I want to be able to throw it in the back of a taxi. You can play any style of music on any drum, you just have to be creative, or at least have a sense of humor about it.