Does anyone still like the '90s rock snare sound?

FunkyCrime

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

TheMattJones88

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This is also what I think of as THE 90s snare sound, Nirvana, STP, Metallica, The Offspring etc.. Hard to argue with the sentiment that Nevermind was biggest and most influential record of that decade.
My hot take is that In Utero's a better sounding record than Nevermind, but I'm also a Steve Albini fanboy.

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My hot take is that In Utero's a better sounding record than Nevermind, but I'm also a Steve Albini fanboy.
I really like the sound of both LPs. I’m glad we got to hear Nirvana with Grohl getting the full, high fidelity, maximized sonics of Nevermind, and then the raw, stripped, organic, and direct feel of In Utero. Very different records from the same band.

Josh Vibert

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Listening to Deftones today (Around the Fur, White Pony) and loving the cranked snare sound. Also a big Sexton fan. Back in the 90's I brought my marching snare home for the summer to practice. I got bored one day and took the Premier Tendura Kevlar head off the marching drum and put it on my 5.5x14 Pearl Sensitone Steel...OMG that was amazing for getting that sound. I still dig it, but not many other musicians seem to anymore; at least not the ones I play with. I'm still tempted to put a CS coated on my 5x14 DW 10&6, crank it up, and play some Spin Doctors.

LBCD

Reaction score
Although this album was from 97 it has more of a balanced sound through out the songs. Third Eye Blind’s first recording is amazing. All the songs are great. Eric Valentine the producer said this about that snare used on a few songs

“The semi-charmed drums, along with 4 other songs on the record, were actually recorded at my studio (H.O.S. recording) when it was in redwood city, CA. The drum set was D'amico for the kick and toms and the snare was a cheap 6" chrome Pearl export. The toms had Remo coated Emperor heads on top and clear diplomats on the bottom. That snare drum had a pretty incredible run. It came with a drum kit I bought a year earlier and it fell into a tuning that was really exceptional. When drums I own do that I basically just leave them until the head breaks or it stops sounding good. That cheap Pearl snare drum has been on a lot of records. The head finally broke during QOTSA sessions in 2002 at the hands Dave Grohl. It was honorable way to go. The head was some sort of Remo powerstroke thing with a black dot in the middle and a pin stripe around the edge. I tried to put the same head back on but it was never the same. It doesn't get used any more. The kick had standard Remo white coated Bass Drum heads on it. Brad Hardgraves played the drums on semi-charmed. I would agree that his playing is a huge part of the sound. Brad was mostly playing Jazz before he started playing in 3EB. He plays with extraordinary finesse. most importantly he doesn't hit the drums too hard (A mistake a lot of drummers make).”

Last edited:

funkypoodle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I hear sloppy, low tuned hipster snares everywhere. Sometimes they work great in context, but most of the time it just sounds like hipster with low tuned snares and a penchant for gaffer tape. In the 90's I was listening to Medeski, Martin & Wood & wondering why all the dudes who previously played bad hairband rock were all buying plaid shirts. Is there a big special on at the Gap?

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Although this album was from 97 it has more of a balanced sound through out the songs. Third Eye Blind’s first recording is amazing. All the songs are great. Steve Valentine the producer said this about that snare used on a few songs

“The semi-charmed drums, along with 4 other songs on the record, were actually recorded at my studio (H.O.S. recording) when it was in redwood city, CA. The drum set was D'amico for the kick and toms and the snare was a cheap 6" chrome Pearl export. The toms had Remo coated Emperor heads on top and clear diplomats on the bottom. That snare drum had a pretty incredible run. It came with a drum kit I bought a year earlier and it fell into a tuning that was really exceptional. When drums I own do that I basically just leave them until the head breaks or it stops sounding good. That cheap Pearl snare drum has been on a lot of records. The head finally broke during QOTSA sessions in 2002 at the hands Dave Grohl. It was honorable way to go. The head was some sort of Remo powerstroke thing with a black dot in the middle and a pin stripe around the edge. I tried to put the same head back on but it was never the same. It doesn't get used any more.
Thanks for the story.
Just listening to semi-charged, snare overtones match the key of the song (the fifth).

LBCD

Reaction score
One more note about the album Semi Charmed Life....
I can’t find the quote online but Valentine said the drummer on “Motor Cycle Drive By” came in the studio sat down behind the drums and did that song in one take!
I know some do not like 3EB, but there is no denying that the production of this album is an A+++

tripp2k

Reaction score
The only time I'd ever tune my snare low and fat is if my ride sounded like one of those manhole covers in the street. "Thunk" "dank". Ride the bell for that sweet "klank" sound.

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the story.
Just listening to semi-charged, snare overtones match the key of the song (the fifth).
Yeah, you're right—it's in the same key of the song! That's a great sound for a Pearl Export snare.

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yeah, you're right—it's in the same key of the song! That's a great sound for a Pearl Export snare.
A muffled head on a ringy drum, has worked with other drums before. I don't really understand why it was impossible to dial in again later.

Browny

Reaction score
Recorded in 99, this seems more like a transitional period.

Love this record. Some great drum sounds (within the context of the music) on it too. I've always like Abe Cunningham's playing as well, feels like he does a great job of writing parts for the song.

BNK

Reaction score
I was 16 years old in 1990 so this decade heavily influenced my sound. I remember my band complaining about my 14x3.5" Pearl free floating that was cranked way up, but hey, that was the sound in those days. Nowadays I'm playing mostly 14x6 wood or 14x6.5 steel snares both tuned medium tension in the style of Dave Krusen's sound on Pearl Jam "Ten".

Some of my favourite cranked snare sounds from the nineties:

Our Lady Peace's "Naveed"

Live's "All Over You"

Jane's Addiction "Stop"

Dinosaur Jr "Feel the Pain"

Latest posts