Does anyone still like the '90s rock snare sound?

LBCD

Reaction score
1990 and time flies. My band back then played a bunch of LA shows together with this band...Kevin is a great drummer and played the same live as on the album, he played a traditional kit with tambourine and cowbell. I believe his kit was a 70's Ludwig 4 piece in a black wrap...a lot changed in snare sound over the decade, the bass guitar on this song was a Fender P bass built by myself and a friend who owned it. He traded it for the bass player's Sting Ray (that was amazing) he used on their first album.
Really awesome production on this one! :)

Last edited:

AgentGreen

Reaction score
Carter B's snare sound on Under the Table and Dreaming was amazing. The phantom steel Ocheltree.

When I heard Ants Marching and that snare the first time, I was floored.
I love the snare on Rapunzel, which I'm assuming is the same snare - just did the A/B comparison on YT but somehow it's much better on Rapunzel, more pronounced/clearer, but it could be better recording/mixing/whatever. I'm just a big fan of Carter and his drum sound.

Ptrick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I love the snare on Rapunzel, which I'm assuming is the same snare - just did the A/B comparison on YT but somehow it's much better on Rapunzel, more pronounced/clearer, but it could be better recording/mixing/whatever. I'm just a big fan of Carter and his drum sound.
By that point, at least live, Carter was using a Paiste/Ocheltree snare. Who knows what he for sure used in the studio.

aparker2005

DFO Master
Reaction score
Carter's drums on the Crash album were Yamaha maple absolutes or whatever the maple kit was at that time. Steve Lillywhite recorded them in the loft of a barn or the studio which ever it was as he said that's where the best acoustics were.

Can't imagine the work of moving his kit up there. Poor Henry lol

AgentGreen

Reaction score
Carter's drums on the Crash album were Yamaha maple absolutes or whatever the maple kit was at that time. Steve Lillywhite recorded them in the loft of a barn or the studio which ever it was as he said that's where the best acoustics were.

Can't imagine the work of moving his kit up there. Poor Henry lol
I always thought he used the RCs, but they just sound really good to me. I wouldn't be upset if my kit sounded like that.

@Ptrick of all the vids I've seen it's always been Zildjian, haven't seen any Paiste. But studio is studio, hard to say what he used.

Before I go off the deep end on Carter, wiki lists he also used a 6.5x14 Ludwig Alex Van Halen Signature Rosewood Snare, which seems to check out looking at this vid, but to me it does not sound like the snare used on the album

aparker2005

DFO Master
Reaction score
I always thought he used the RCs, but they just sound really good to me. I wouldn't be upset if my kit sounded like that.

@Ptrick of all the vids I've seen it's always been Zildjian, haven't seen any Paiste. But studio is studio, hard to say what he used.

Before I go off the deep end on Carter, wiki lists he also used a 6.5x14 Ludwig Alex Van Halen Signature Rosewood Snare, which seems to check out looking at this vid, but to me it does not sound like the snare used on the album

He does use recording customs except for that album. Before these crowded streets was the Ocheltree still I believe, just very cranked.

He also uses a Ludwig Alex van Halen rosewood right now. Specifically one I found for him and Henry from a fellow forum member! Pretty awesome. I too am obsessed with CB and are good friends with his tech. Good to see another big fan on the boards!

Ptrick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I was only referring to the snare drum, which was a Paiste SNARE made by Jeff Ocheltree.

dale w miller

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If you consider the tight piccolo sound, I never liked it, just like I never liked the 70’s muffled to death like you’re hitting a pillow sound.

AgentGreen

Reaction score
He does use recording customs except for that album. Before these crowded streets was the Ocheltree still I believe, just very cranked.

He also uses a Ludwig Alex van Halen rosewood right now. Specifically one I found for him and Henry from a fellow forum member! Pretty awesome. I too am obsessed with CB and are good friends with his tech. Good to see another big fan on the boards!
I am in awe of your close connection to CB and his tech, thanks for sharing. Saw a YT interview with Henry and mentioned some stories while touring, and just a bit on the history of how his kit evolved.

@Ptrick thanks for the clarification on the Paiste snare, always great to learn something new

OutlawX

Reaction score
Yeah I forgotten about that. Actually the Late 80,s Was the Square size rack toms. . The 90,s was the dreadful 1935 White front bass drum head.
Matter of fact? I think Tama still be might use White front bass drum head on a $7,000 beautiful Black STARCLASSIC.