does anyone use a 20" floor tom?

Slippy

a.k.a "slow feet"
Reaction score
just wondering is there is anyone out there that uses one, biggest i have ever used is 18" just curious if they are around. I know some guys use to use the hanging bass drums back in the 80's

JOE COOL

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
i never ever saw a 20...im wondering how many are even using 18?

JOE COOL

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
thats a good thought.
but how many drummers go 1 up,2 down?
and if they do they might also be going 14,16.
my guess is 18s are rare ,and 20s are almost non existant.

evilw

Reaction score
I use the 16 & 18 F.T.s that came with my Oaklawn Camcos. I love the look and sound os the 18" F.T., but it is indeed very hard to capture on a recording. I once had a 20" Rogers F.T. back in the day of vinyl and the low frequency would literally knock a stylus off of the lathe and was hated by engineers and mastering engineers alike.

As times change and technology moves along, who knows what drum sizes will return ..
-EW

dxtr

Reaction score
I've seen a few 20" floor toms on kits but I never understood why. Its basically a bass drum. I would just play a 2nd bass drum or a gong drum.

18" is the biggest I'd go personally and even then I probably wouldn't. With modern mics and PA's 18" floor toms aren't really needed. Back in the day when drummers needed extra volume they made sense. I think it's a look thing. Lets be honest huge drums looks badass!!

atomicdave

DFO Master
Reaction score
i thought about using a 20" timp tom (marcher) with my stainless Ludwig, but I dont even play stainless and am bailing out of that genre of Ludwigs (lots in for sale section...sale PENDING on 20" but not sold for sure yet). I just dont see getting use out of two floor toms, and dont think I could even reach the second one much as now I kinda sit up close to my drums (even tilt the snare away from me a little bit). Even Buddy sometimes used his second FT as a place to set his towel.... :eek:

esooy

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I saw a band called Big Elf and the drummer had an acrylic Ludwig kit with a 20" floor tom. I saw it up close backstage and it was just HUGE.

drumhead

Jer-ry! Jer-ry!
Reaction score
A guy around here had a huge Ludwing kit way back when (late 70s, early 80s) with 18 and 20 floors. It hardly seems possible, but I think they were both suspended.

b/o 402

Wacky old coot
Reaction score
IIRC Ian Paice used a 20" as his second floor tom on several different sets. That's about the only name player I can think of.

SamS

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
[font="arial][size="2"][font="arial][size="2"]Back in the 80's I had an oversized Ludwig set that I ordered. 26 bass, 12, 13,14 and 15 up toms and 18, 20 floor toms. I played those in some combination for almost 15 years. It actually didn't look odd because they were all large. Big targets![/size][/font][/size][/font]

[font="arial][size="2"][font="arial] [/font][/size][/font]
[font="arial][size="2"][font="arial][size="2"][font="arial][size="2"] View attachment 109590 [/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font]

Chris

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I use one or two floor toms,14",16" or 18".I always wanted a 20" floor tom.Too expensive to custom order one at this point.And you need a case/bag for it too.Well,maybe if I come into an unexpected windfall.

pbloxam

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My slingerland kit is twin 26 with 15in mounted and 16x18, 18x20. Cannons! 1977 kit and in great condition ...

Scottlogsdon

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
When Tommy Aldridge was with Black Oak Arkansas he was a Sonor endorser. He had them make a black Phonic kit with two 26" bass drums and a 20" floor tom. Tommy eventually sold it to a guy in WV. The kit ended up in a pawn shop and got parted out. A pity. A buddy of mine has one of the bass drums. Don't know who got the floor tom.

DolFan54

Camco Enthusiast
Reaction score
IIRC Ian Paice used a 20" as his second floor tom on several different sets. That's about the only name player I can think of.
I believe Cozy Powell used 18" & 20" floor toms when he was using Ludwig.

I have a Camco Chanute 24/14/18 in walnut. I know where there is a Chanute 20" floor tom in walnut but have yet to pull the trigger.

tamadrm

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have a Vintage Tama Superstar set with toms from 8 to 18,so occasionally I use the 16x18,and it is thunderous and not at all tympany like.Tama also made an 18x20 in the Superstar line,and can only imagine what that sounds like.

Steve B