Does bearing edge conditioner actually work?

ARGuy

DFO Master
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm sure it works. Is it necessary? That's another question.

Old Dog

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if it works. I recently bought a "tube" because I do restorations on older drums. It's advertised as "helping with Drum Dial Tuner".

It definitely conditions old untreated dry edges. I don't use much. I go around once, LIGHTLY. Then I just rub it in with my fingers. I'm "supposed" to receive my Drum dial soon. I'll try and do some comparisons on ease of tuning.

gwbasley

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have always used a plain wax candle to treat bearing edges. It helps the head move smoothly and evenly when tuning.

I am sure that this is the case no matter how you tune, either by some device or by ear.

hsosdrum

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
If plain old wax is good enough for Ludwig I imagine it should be good enough for the rest of us. Here's something Ludwig thought was important enough that they put it on page 9 of their 1988 catalog.

1988_LUDWIG-11.jpg

bellbrass

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a drum maker once tell me to use a bearing edge conditioner every time I change the heads...he also told me not to use Chap Stick or scented candles, because the additives / alcohols in those products could actually dry out the edges and/or seep into the plies and contribute toward ply separation. He said to use a pure wax or thick oil of some kind.

backtodrum

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I use Bees wax.... Its cheap and does the job beautifully.

Fifty9Dunes

Reaction score
I use sex wax (stop right there, it’s surf board wax). Comes in a puck shape - super easy to run around the edges.

jptrickster

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
When Precision cuts edges they finish off with a wax and buff on the lathe. Smooth and silky. The secret is to use just a little and clean off any and all residue and buff smooth and slippery . Leaving residue or wax buildup will cake up and create just the opposite effect.

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does such a product exist? Why not just use snake oil?
No, no. Snake oil cures baldness, impetigo, infertility, ED, VD and STD, bladder problems, ulcers and dyspepsia. Why that’s only the top of the iceberg. There’s nothing it can’t fix right up!

Totally useless for the bearing edge of a drum.

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some people use petroleum jelly.